Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 15ft fiberglass boats. Education required

15ft fiberglass boats. Education required

It's a long weekend and I've run out of rocks to look at.

So, have been putting some more thought into a boat.
    Will mostly get used for family outings on the lake for pulling a biscuit or waterskiing etc. Possibly a bit of fishing in the future. Personally, I've never done a lot of fishing.

With a jetboat I suspect the progression would be: Too scared to use it properly, then end up with it parked up a bank. In multiple pieces.

I think a 15ft fiberglass with outboard would do the trick. Small enough to be easy to launch but big enough for 3 kids.
    Something like:
    Name:  glass craft.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  186.9 KB

What do I need to look out for when purchasing an older second hand boat?

Do I want to know the hidden costs? Both maintenance and other things you don't need but you do.
    (like reloading, you end up with a bench full of essential things)
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Other more knowledgeable folk will be along, but I'll share my experience:

Check the internal structure carefully for signs of damage. The exterior may have been repaired beautifully, but often in the internals do not receive the same level of detail, and can give away signs of a prang in a previous life.

At that age, the motor is the single biggest cost. That, and feeding it. Make sure it's got relatively even compressions, see if the bottom leg will come off easily. If it hasn't been maintained well the impellor may be half rooted, and the bottom leg rusted/seized on and its almost impossible to get them off, and the engine will eventually cook itself when the rubber impeller shits itself.

Look up how to decipher the serial number of the outboard. My 90hp Evenrude came with a late 1980's cowling, but once I looked up what the serial # meant I saw it was a 1976 85 hp Evenrude

That'll do for now
    Joe_90 likes this.

I went down this path many years ago

Here is what I found
    - alloy boat was perfect for me as we all made a few hiccups at the beginning
    I hit the ramp, rock, bump the trailer when retrieving, etc
    it it was a fiberglass boat maybe different outcome
    - my 2 kids enjoy fishing with me at the start
    then they told me, actually they didn't like fishing, they only come just to make me happy and the after fishing treat
    - buy the boat that suits your need

Ok, back to your question
    - outboard - 85HP Suzuki is more than enough for what you need

- trailer - look at the trailer condition as they can be expensive to repair
    - tires - those commercial or trailer R13/r14 tires are good
    the lower the trailer the easier to launch/retrieve

- cost
    - prepare about $2500/year for service, insurance, rego, wof, CG membership
    - maintenance (this one can be anything)
    e.g new Hosking trailer for 15fter my guess is about $8k + long wait

- fishing gear, this one also can be anything
    e.g. softbait setup ranges from $200 - no limit

on every trip you will need bait/burley/ice/petrol/food/drink etc -- cost me about $200 for 3 hours of a fishing trip

that's all I can think of for now, let me know if you want to know more
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Since you are in Central Otago are you going to be mainly freshwater fishing?

I concur regarding Glass boats being difficult to accurate assess the condition. My dads first Jet boat was a Hamilton 31 (same mold as Marlborough Dart)

Leaked a bit when it sat in the tide (bilge pump on every hour when fishing!!)
    Because of what it was made of and fact it was primarilly used for Salmon fishing in braided rivers, every couple years he owned it it was stripped turned over and the previous seasons "learning experiences" repaired (Dad did all the work himself)
    Very maintainance intensive, it was replaced with an alloy boat (written off in highway whoopsie) and the current boat he has is Hamilton 141a. He has owned this for nearly 30 years.

Alloy boats are cold, noisey and usually harsh ride. Glass boats are better in all respects except for maintainance and not as robust. I bumped an unseen rock in my alloy boat in Lake Rotoroa while landing on a beach to go hunting, that would have holed a glass boat. All I ended up with was a ding in the keel.

Motor maintainance and service history is everything. Trailers will drive you nuts especially if braked and used in saltwater
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If you think shooting is throwing handfuls of money away , boating is throwing 20lt pales of 100 dollar bills away . Im moving guns on to spend time fishing at my age and now looking at a new motor 20+ k . The big problem in nz is they will not stock parts for older motors , basically down to shit importers . alloy is better way easer to check for corrosion and repair . Figlass is very temp dependant and timber internals need to be dry clean so a pia in colder climates . Good luck with your new and take your time looking , even wait till winter for good deals .
    csmiffy, dannyb, Joe_90 and 1 others like this.

go play with someone else in their boat and see if it does actually squeal your wheels....
    if you going to be happy to just tow biscuit around...not really hoon like shit or try being wank on plank... if boat is mainly going to be for trout fishing and in few years will just be Joe alone....MAYBE 12-13ft tinny with 15-20hp is better option...
    next to zero maintainence cost... much less up front cost,resale stays the same or increases you can launch,retrieve it from shore with ease if put hand winch on front of trailer..and can even drag the hua up beach by hand if need be.
    veitnamcam and Joe_90 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

some of those older figlass boats,have NASTY tendency if hit wave on something like 45 degree angle.... and in lake you get waves from all angles on calm day with other boats causing them. it can throw boat sideways and catch you out if dont see it coming. not pleasant at all.dominater etc have been around for a long time..some a VERY long time..the lark version looks neat with blunter front end,but again they are getting old and will need proper check over.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

in all fairness being "first mate" on someone elses boat is better as regards $$ cost in some cases that actually owning your own.

But there is nothing like having your own boat to do your own thing when you want

I miss mine but not the bills
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Some very good points to consider so far, thank you!

Will go have a beer with the local composites guy on friday after work.

Yes, mostly I'm thinking of just using a boat on the lakes. The sea has horrible biting things and corrosion.
    Rather than boat fishing it would probably be easier, and cheaper, to just drive up the road and fish in the canals around Twizle.

When I was living up in Hamilton in the late 2000s, a good mate had a fiberglass boat we used to tool about on. Mostly on the dam lakes for skiing and a few camping trips to lake waikaremoana.
    Being young and a smart (not clever) we tried a few experiments. I can not recommend jumping off the side at full noise. Even with watersport helmet and lifejacket it really hurts.
    Also worked out just how much we could throw it around before hitting your wake tips the driver over the side. Yes, with the kill switch lanyard around wrist.

Name:  Jan08_Waikmoana.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  222.1 KB

Name:  img_84293720.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  105.6 KB

Remember BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2cGe2QO50
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I do enjoy my mates boats for sure. And don’t hesitate to give them a hand and contribute to some of the running costs. And I fillet all their fish.
    Name:  504A44F9-FFD8-47D6-9E77-0B0A5B71AEEC.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  142.4 KB

Fibreglass hull. Get underneath the boat when it is on the trailer with a hammer. Start tapping the hull, if the hammer makes a clean bang and bounces back at you then the glass is ok. If however it makes a dull thud you possibly have delamination ..
    Joe_90 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    Fibreglass hull. Get underneath the boat when it is on the trailer with a hammer. Start tapping the hull, if the hammer makes a clean bang and bounces back at you then the glass is ok. If however it makes a dull thud you possibly have delamination ..
    and if the hammer goes right through you run away?

Just buy an alloy jet @Joe_90 then u can come do runs with the boys
    viper, Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Just buy an alloy jet @Joe_90 then u can come do runs with the boys
    Haha See post #1:
    With a jetboat I suspect the progression would be: Too scared to use it properly, then end up with it parked up a bank. In multiple pieces.
    Best mate has a jet boat, the above points of using someone else's boat are pretty compelling...
    Micky Duck likes this.