Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: 2020 4wd ute test

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    And I'm sure @cambo could tell us in pm a million Hilux horror stories.
    Nothing is perfect.
    Bit early for these new Hilux's to be proven worthy.
    There are some issues which are happening to some but thankfully not a lot.
    Need a bit more tweaking yet.

I was always told to never touch a new model of anything. Wait till they've produced a few "face lift" models with all the niggles tweaked out
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

True... interested to hear them say the D-Max is proving v reliable out at 200k - that is what's important.

As a longtime 4x4 clubber I'm not overly impressed with a test of tradie utes in offroad conditions just once when new. I would like to see how chassis/drivetrains etc stand up to the tough offroading in a 4x4 club over several years before praising performance too much. Not many of these new utes in 4x4 clubs as yet... and would certainly not be my choice to do tough offroad tracks eg 'stamper' in its heyday, or coast-to-coasters like 'slab hut creek'.
    veitnamcam, DemocKot and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Bit early for these new Hilux's to be proven worthy.
    There are some issues which are happening to some but thankfully not a lot.
    Need a bit more tweaking yet.

I was always told to never touch a new model of anything. Wait till they've produced a few "face lift" models with all the niggles tweaked out
    Yep which is where the Mitsi is at now,5 years in its current engine which was proved ten years previous in smaller displacements.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    True... interested to hear them say the D-Max is proving v reliable out at 200k - that is what's important.

As a longtime 4x4 clubber I'm not overly impressed with a test of tradie utes in offroad conditions just once when new. I would like to see how chassis/drivetrains etc stand up to the tough offroading in a 4x4 club over several years before praising performance too much. Not many of these new utes in 4x4 clubs as yet... and would certainly not be my choice to do tough offroad tracks eg 'stamper' in its heyday, or coast-to-coasters like 'slab hut creek'.
    Yep its not everyone who will put a 40-80k ute into any serious 4wding, but with engine,gearbox,suspension experts on test with years of experience with all of the brands youd struggle to find a better test surely?

In ten years time a test of the same again may or may not show some differences but that wont help a new buyer then.
    cambo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I, like alot of other clubbers question whether these utes have the durability to sustain ongoing harder offroading. They are big, wide, long, quite heavy and often have poor angles. The single test can be somewhat misleading re reliable 4wd use.

In this test, (if I remember correctly) the winning Triton suffered chassis bending in its first real trial??? What?? Replacing a wheel bearing to be expected, but straightening the chassis after each challenging trip???
    mimms2 likes this.

I, like alot of other clubbers question whether these utes have the durability to sustain ongoing harder offroading. The single test can be somewhat misleading re 4wd use. In this test, if I remember correctly) the winning Triton suffered chassis bending in its first real trial??? What??
    No not in any trial I am aware of.

There are reports of a company fitting massive camper bodys to Tritons in Aus and them being overloaded (naturally) and bending the chassis.
    One could say it was unlucky to be the best value brand.

And I wouldnt expect to replace a wheel bearing on anything new for the first 100k
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 21-01-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Engine, mate. I've got a bigger engine.
    Wheezy smokey asthmatic limp engine....even in the 1990s it was gutless compared to the 1hdt

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    And I wouldnt expect to replace a wheel bearing on anything new for the first 100k
    You (personally or financially) won't have to with the warranty!
    veitnamcam likes this.

If you go into offroading as a motorsport for the decades you will certainly be doing regular wheel bearing changes.

Why - because you will be doing mud terrain tracks with deep bogholes. The first truck in maybe alright as the water, is clear but after that the holes are very churned up with alot of suspended solids which will get into everything in the truck as your mudgrips spin for traction. Wheel bearings are a club joke ... we experiment with different greases etc but they are still common repairs - as can be alternators/starter motors in this type of mud challenge terrain.
    stingray likes this.

If you go into offroading as a motorsport for the decades you will certainly be doing regular wheel bearing changes.

Why - because you will be doing mud terrain tracks with deep bogholes. The first truck in maybe alright as the water, is clear but after that the holes are very churned up with alot of suspended solids which will get into everything in the truck as your mudgrips spin for traction. Wheel bearings are a club joke ... we experiment with different greases etc but they are still common repairs - as can be alternators/starter motors in this type of mud challenge terrain.
    Yes certainly I was reasonably regularly doing starters, alternators, center bearings, calipers and slave cylinders,pads and shoes, disks and drums,cvs,diffs,springs,bushes,ball joints and even the occasional wheel bearing (only ever rears) on my LN106 but that was because its use was as you describe....lots and lots of deep water and mud.

so pretty much constantly replacing wearing parts, id expect you would be pretty much constantly replacing wearing parts with a new vehicle too with the same useage.
    mudgripz likes this.

none of that test would convince me to buy any of them, they added points on for possible mods to make it pass better....
    i'd take the vw anyday.

Currently driving a 2012 Ranger in a manual. I like it and like it a lot but won't be getting another one. I'm old school and while having owned several auto vehicles I'm always drawn back to manuals. Since Ford have dropped the manual option in Rangers this will be my last.

It makes me laugh that most parents want their children to learn to drive a manual but won't buy one so they can, go to Europe or the UK and manual far exceeds auto still.