Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree306Likes

Thread: 30-06ai 60 series custom landcruiser build

Cool 30-06ai 60 series custom landcruiser build

Well some of you think i lost my mind.....you're probably right
    A few years back i used to own a pretty sweet kzj78 landcruiser prado, it was well equipped with 4" lift, winchbar, winch, 33" coopers, rear lokka, snorkel, roof tray etc etc etc long story short i sold it to get myself set up when i first started hunting (big mistake) regretted it immediately. 12 months later landcruiser prices went through the roof and i thought the chance of me owning another capable cruiser whilst i had hair still were slim to none......
    Well a couple weeks ago i stumbled accross a listing for a "60 series custom project"

The price was cheaper than what seemed right, and the pictures weren't great but showed enough to tweak my interest.....the cogs were set in motion.
    I contacted a couple of engineering mates and showed them the listing, they too said "that warrants further investigation" So we jacked up a day to go view the truck.
    Turns out the landcruiser had been owned by an engineer (in his 70s now) for 16 years or so and over the last 10 years he has slowly been customizing it, full body off bare metal restoration and ute chop, chassis completely stripped and re coated, brand new drilled and slotted rotors and calipers up front, complete overhaul of the rear drums, all new springs, greasable shakles, bushes and 50mm body lift, replacement motor and the list goes on literally every nut and bolt replaced. Also there was an abundance of new and used parts including spare front and rear diffs (turned out to be 3 high sided trailer loads of parts in the end.
    Anyway it had been advertised for a few months and after meeting the owner i thought there may even be room for negotiation on the already low price.....after leaving one of my engineer mates said "if you dont buy it I will" that was all the encouragement i needed
    So i had to come up with some cash and fast.....well you know what happened next, I listed and sold my mk v custom and made a cheeky cash offer on the cruiser....my offer accepted i know own a 60 series puzzle that i hope to get mostly back together over this winter.....
    Will post pics on here as i progress.
    Tomorrow is the big day to pick up the truck having spent my last free day moving all the parts to my mates workshop.
    Here are some pics from the listing, exciting times ahead

Name:  1941441756.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  156.8 KB

Name:  1941429328.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  1941429364.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  1941429338.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  1941429343.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  1941429347.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  172.9 KB

So i hope you all understand now why i sold my precious, rest assured i will build another but sometimes you gotta take a punt and this sure seems like a cracking deal.
    Last edited by dannyb; 19-04-2023 at 10:52 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

P.s: if there are any 60 series gurus or sickos here I'd love to know
    #DANNYCENT

If that was a diesel I swap you my pretty sweet kzj78 Landcruiser Prado, well equipped with 4" lift, winch bar, winch, 33" BFGs, front and rear locker, snorkel, roof tray etc etc etc

That will look fantastic once you get it back together. Any young fella would love a toy like that. Those ol' 3F motors can be played with a bit too. A nice sized (big) Holley carb, A good set of extractors and a nice free flow pipe to start.
    rewa likes this.

I love a 60. That is, unconventional.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    If that was a diesel I swap you my pretty sweet kzj78 Landcruiser Prado, well equipped with 4" lift, winch bar, winch, 33" BFGs, front and rear locker, snorkel, roof tray etc etc etc

That will look fantastic once you get it back together. Any young fella would love a toy like that. Those ol' 3F motors can be played with a bit too. A nice sized (big) Holley carb, A good set of extractors and a nice free flow pipe to start.
    I'm actually glad it's a petrol motor to be honest, the cost of diesel, rucs, extra servicing, higher rego costs don't make the diesel very attractive any more.... I know there are other reasons for having a diesel but I also know this 3f will be very simple, not a lot to go wrong with it and easy to fix if it does.
    veitnamcam, ROKTOY, rewa and 1 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I love a 60. That is, unconventional.
    Technically its a 30 now
    Last edited by dannyb; 20-04-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    XR500 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

....given all the replacement parts on and in it, is it still technically a Toyota?
    Good work Danny - you're going to be very busy, but it will be rewarding!!
    dannyb likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    A mate in Tassie has a 60, they call them the Tojo over there. Love 'em for towing.
    Looking forward to the progress shots @dannyb

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    ....given all the replacement parts on and in it, is it still technically a Toyota?
    Good work Danny - you're going to be very busy, but it will be rewarding!!
    Most of the parts are toyota parts
    #DANNYCENT

Looks like a cool project mate, stick at it. Look pretty tidy.
    dannyb likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Gkp
    I'm addicted to 40 series and doing an over the top rebuild on a bj45.
    The 3f is not a bad engine but no power house. Do you intend on keeping it in there?
    Pic of my 45Name:  20230130_145032.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  1.99 MB

Got rid of an 80 series after spending well into the teens maybe even 20 on it for a massive loss only to then watch prices go mental!
    Recently bought a LJ78 to spend money on as 80s are mega$ even for rooted ones.

That looks like a cool project.
    Micky Duck, rewa and dannyb like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

3 years ago you couldn't give an LJ78 away, now people are asking 15k. The world is mad.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    3 years ago you couldn't give an LJ78 away, now people are asking 15k. The world is mad.
    I payed 6....it's high k and rooted paint.... insurance wouldn't let us insure for less than 10

And lots of people are asking stupid money for shit and if it sells yay and if not who cares I didn't want to sell it anyway.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It's not a criticism of your purchase at all, merely an observation on the state of the market. Shit is expensive now. I want a HJ60 but they're all rusty and $30k
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.