Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: New Hilux Auto Transmission Shudder?

New Hilux Auto Transmission Shudder?

Question for new Hilux owners. Got a new work Hilux SR Prerunner (2WD) auto that has a sort of gentle shudder (or more of a pulsing feeling) which is very noticeable when doing exactly 50kmh around town. Done it from day one - has about 3000km on it now - I thought it may have been a settling in thing but not the case. Does it most the time - but not every time? Anyone struck this with their Hilux or heard of it? Wife and kids can feel it from passenger seat. Surely not a "characteristic" of this vehicle? Thanks in advance.

New truck under warranty,get it back to the dealer asap.

Take it in under warranty. My SR5 4wd definitely doesn’t

....and be ready for them to say its normal, when its not. Toyota have gone off the boil when it comes to customer service, esp under warranty
    sore head stoat and Snap 4T like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    ....and be ready for them to say its normal, when its not. Toyota have gone off the boil when it comes to customer service, esp under warranty
    Yup, Toyota is well known for that, actually, most dealers are all like that.

I've got a Fortuner with similar kms and no issues. Very smooth.
    If dealer says it's normal then you should test drive one of their demos and point out the demo is faulty as it fails to do the normal shudder. They can't talk around that logic.
    I had to do equivalent to that a few years ago with a new MTB. One brake clearly needed bleed from brand new as its lever would often pull right into the bars. Tried to tell me it was normal so I pointed out the other brake was faulty as it wouldn't do same. They bleed the brake :-)

My son n laws last years new hilux 4x4 runs smooth as.Just had it 10k service.Its 2.8litre engine haul the ars off my old 4.2tdi. Technology today.Lols

Dealer warranty is crap. 2022 dmax. Went in for service at 5k. No wheel alignment required. Never been offroad. 2 front tires buggered o. Inner edge but jts normal wear and tear. Getting an independent alignment done today.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    My son n laws last years new hilux 4x4 runs smooth as.Just had it 10k service.Its 2.8litre engine haul the ars off my old 4.2tdi. Technology today.Lols
    Put 560 thousand K's on that 2.8 without an engine overhaul, then see if it still hauls the arse off the mighty Patrol
    Trout, Carbine, Slug and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    I've got a Fortuner with similar kms and no issues. Very smooth.
    If dealer says it's normal then you should test drive one of their demos and point out the demo is faulty as it fails to do the normal shudder. They can't talk around that logic.
    I had to do equivalent to that a few years ago with a new MTB. One brake clearly needed bleed from brand new as its lever would often pull right into the bars. Tried to tell me it was normal so I pointed out the other brake was faulty as it wouldn't do same. They bleed the brake :-)
    I hadn't thought of that approach. I like it.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Put 560 thousand K's on that 2.8 without an engine overhaul, then see if it still hauls the arse off the mighty Patrol
    And still going strong too Simon

Iv done 580000ks now,the 4.2tdi just purees along.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Question for new Hilux owners. Got a new work Hilux SR Prerunner (2WD) auto that has a sort of gentle shudder (or more of a pulsing feeling) which is very noticeable when doing exactly 50kmh around town. Done it from day one - has about 3000km on it now - I thought it may have been a settling in thing but not the case. Does it most the time - but not every time? Anyone struck this with their Hilux or heard of it? Wife and kids can feel it from passenger seat. Surely not a "characteristic" of this vehicle? Thanks in advance.
    Not so much a Hilux issue, more likely a CVT issue, from memory they call it "rocking". When you take it back to the dealer be sure to find out what the problem was, and what they did to correct it. Most likely they will flush the trans, but at 3000 clicks I would think replacement would be on the cards. Good luck.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

maybe look on a Australian or NZ Hilux forum for similar as well, if its happened with other hilux there will be someone else with the answer.

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...20-hilux-club/
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

3000ks replace transmission???