Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: 36 trapped on the old bush road

SiB
    I last did that track three summers ago. It was a definite "3 truck" track. We each of us required a pull at some point.

My point is this; we did the journey for the location and the scenery. The road was an incidental challenge that added to the experience

I feel now that some folks have little understanding of the geography, it's history or scenic grandeur, BUT want to do the trip because the (several now) 4WD books list it as pretty well the toughest track to complete.

As a farmer mate said last night to me, he wouldn't attempt that track now even on a tractor, in summer.

The "right" to attempt to drive that track has overtaken the responsibilities of those who do use it and similar tracks like it.

Unless drivers focus on their responsibilities, they will condemn us all lose any rights of access to that and similar roads......

36 trapped on the old bush road

https://www.facebook.com/Heliview/vi...3757805973722/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That puts it in perspective . Hope they got good antifreeze
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yep and good batterys, or they need new ones after the go flat and freeze,
    They need a bulldozer, to open up the snow driflts, and a week of fine weather to get them out, that's if the track is going to be in any kinda condition to drive on,

Those new helicopters look pretty sweet, pity they need a flat surface like an airport to land. Not as versatile as the old iriqouis.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Those new helicopters look pretty sweet, pity they need a flat surface like an airport to land. Not as versatile as the old iriqouis.
    And they just don't have that distinctive sound either.
    stingray likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Of topic but if you ever want to read a very good book on the capabilities of the Iriqouis and their pilots in the Vietnam war get a hold of a copy of Chickenhawk by Robert Mason (conscripted pilot).
    Things like taking off totally overloaded, lifting out of clearings with the rotors smacking small tree branches, flying in close formation at night lights out using the instrument lights of next chopper slightly ahead of you for guidance/clearance. A real good read.
    stingray, mikee and Dan88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Of topic but if you ever want to read a very good book on the capabilities of the Iriqouis and their pilots in the Vietnam war get a hold of a copy of Chickenhawk by Robert Mason (conscripted pilot).
    Things like taking off totally overloaded, lifting out of clearings with the rotors smacking small tree branches, flying in close formation at night lights out using the instrument lights of next chopper slightly ahead of you for guidance/clearance. A real good read.
    I liked Chickenhawk and if you liked it then I recommend Firebirds by Chuck Carlock. "Gunship - Spectre of War" by Harry Zeybel is also a very good / highly entertaining account of the early C130 spectre gunships in Vietnam.
    zimmer likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

i enjoyed chickenhawk too ,but the last chapter was a bit jarring with his vivd descritions of his personal aftermath of his vietnam experiences.
    Agree about the old green junglebunny "woka 09".typically in NZthey did a lot of things one suspects the designers never thought of.
    had a cousin who did a stint as a crewman back in the 70s-they did a few "coast' trips in support of TFjungle training and he reckoned with a couple of SLR's on board a payload of deer would cover costs nicely.It was a also rumoured,that they periodically carted coal from greymouth to wigram!very adaptable types those airforce blokes.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    ChickenHawk was a great book.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Did these people pay for their rescue?
    I heard something about them paying for rescue costs on the radio but didnt catch all of it due to grinders/hammers etc
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Did these people pay for their rescue?
    I heard something about them paying for rescue costs on the radio but didnt catch all of it due to grinders/hammers etc
    Last I heard the cops said they were not going to send them the bill
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Last I heard the cops said they were not going to send them the bill
    While that is good I thought/hoped they had offered to pay the bill? Which would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I (sort of) agree.
    If however, the party were aware of the forcast etc etc, then I think their arrogance in going ahead makes them liable
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

SiB
    A possible side issue is that these 4WD enthusiasts are quite likely to be the same who in different circumstances, would be called by Police to assist in another S&R operation.

Having said that, we should all learn that there are consequences for wrong, or ill-thought decisions.

That their own vehicles will be wintered up there is a personal consequence obviously....... But the fact remains that someone's S&R budget will have been dented. Frankly I'd be confident that any Police decision re allocation of costs was based on all the facts; not conjecture and opinion which so often fill our media, and forums like this.
    veitnamcam, tetawa and Shearer like this.