Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Which 4x4

Which 4x4

Hey guys, looking for advice from mechanics or anyone with knowledge. After a 4x4 probably up to 2020 models considering hilux, ranger, amarok double cabs. So the question is which is the more reliable models and which to stay away from?
    Was thinking of a 2019 ranger Wildtrak with the 2.0 bi turbo but just hear so many stories of problems with rangers it’s ridiculous.
    Cheers

The reason you hear of so many problems with rangers is that there are more of them. The earlier version PX ranger was the factory twin to the previous generation Mazda BT50 (now the Mazda is not) and what's interesting is the same people bagging the Ranger often say the BT50 is better. It's the same damn thing David...

The same sorts of issues will kill all of the current model utes, crap fuel will do it every time, poor servicing is also a goodun. Electrical and electronic systems are a bit of a weak point, and factory suspension often shows it's limits if you regularly run at a higher weight than what the factory designed the suspension to do. Brakes are a major weakness if you do a lot of towing and of heavy trailers, the modern common rail engines don't do engine braking. Transmissions and engines aren't what we knew in the past, and a failing electronic component can destroy a perfectly good engine with little warning.

Having said that, there are a few things on each brand/model that the mechanics will tell you that they see quite regularly - find a vehicle that you like and get it checked by someone that knows that specific breed and what to look for.

My personal thing is if you are planning on towing heavy, stay away from the bi-turbo's and any gearbox with 10 speeds. They just die young and suck the life out of your wallet while doing it.
    buell984, XR500 and 11mms like this.

I had a great run with my facelift Colorado definitely had more issues with my current next-gen ranger but guess that's the difference between a 1st generation and a final edition.
    would 100% have the new ranger tho its a great improvement.

Hilux feels super cramped compared to the others you list but i haven't owned one.
    buell984 likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I had a great run with my facelift Colorado definitely had more issues with my current next-gen ranger but guess that's the difference between a 1st generation and a final edition.
    would 100% have the new ranger tho its a great improvement.

Hilux feels super cramped compared to the others you list but i haven't owned one.
    This, on the Hilux - the cabs on those are tiny compared to the others. Big guys, trying to squeeze into the back seat sucks.
    buell984 likes this.

I’m working on a mine site in Western Australia at the moment out in the wop wops.
    No rangers, Colorados, Amaroks or mitsis here. All land cruisers and hilux’s
    outlander and Flyblown like this.

I've had 2 rangers both the old 3.2 love them and I've had no issues with either.
    Also had the Everest same motor and again no issues.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    crewe2, Maca49 and buell984 like this.

Just turned over 242k today in my 3.2 2013 Ranger, has the egr done and inlet turbo hose, bought new, only 2wd. A new set of shocks would be good
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The Ranger 3.2 has a few things on it that start being dicky, one is the fuel pressure modulation valve (suction control valve). My one has had a lot of issues, finally tracked back to the SCV not opening quickly enough to dump the pressure back to the tank when the load was coming off the engine and this was letting the fuel rail pressure stay sky high when the demanded pressure was dropping off hence the error "fuel pressure out of specification" and a limp mode. Worthwhile sticking the 3.2's on a data logger and taking them for a drive just to see how they are performing as it's only when they are really bad that they will cause an error and don't throw a specific code that indicates the error is that component. It can cause injector issues, low power, poor running, hard starting, engines that won't turn off etc etc.

One reason for the prevalence of Toyota's in the Aussie mine sites is Toyota's marketing and corporate sales programs so the bro tells me - plus everything else has gone very heavily electronic and computer controlled which is pushing the pricing out through the roof. A while back he was doing 2.5 Mahindra's for every Ranger fuelled up, but they had a cost increase which really stopped them from going ahead in huge numbers. A reasonable amount more work involved in getting them up to ANCAP mines spec, and things like hinges and body/chassis mounts didn't live as long as you'd hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    I’m working on a mine site in Western Australia at the moment out in the wop wops.
    No rangers, Colorados, Amaroks or mitsis here. All land cruisers and hilux’s
    There's a bloody good reason for that.
    7mmsaum, BRADS and XR500 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Ive just spent 2 weeks in Aus. Was in Longreach. 90% of the hundreds of Utes and wagons I saw were Toyota's. Most of them tricked out in some way for long distance dirt travel.
    Maxx and RUMPY like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdave View Post
    Hey guys, looking for advice from mechanics or anyone with knowledge. After a 4x4 probably up to 2020 models considering hilux, ranger, amarok double cabs. So the question is which is the more reliable models and which to stay away from?
    Was thinking of a 2019 ranger Wildtrak with the 2.0 bi turbo but just hear so many stories of problems with rangers it’s ridiculous.
    Cheers
    despite the knockers I drove Hi Lux for work for over twenty years - a number of different models - never a break down - did not even change a light bulb - says something for reliability - the best of them was the last of the older 2.8 double cab with the beam front axle - nearly cried when the Dept traded that - my next ute was a 3. Hilux with wish bone front end just not as good but very reliable

Gkp
    Going to sell the misses 2017 Amarok soon. Done 79k
    Been a good vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    There's a bloody good reason for that.
    It's a funny thing, I'd personally never touch another Toyota product in NZ having had a string of component-related issues that the various dealers had to be shoved hard to sort out. They are a business, I get that and anything used HARD (including regular towing 3500Kg) can fail but wearing an engine out completely in less than 100'000Km was a bloody new one on me.
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive just spent 2 weeks in Aus. Was in Longreach. 90% of the hundreds of Utes and wagons I saw were Toyota's. Most of them tricked out in some way for long distance dirt travel.
    Yep the Aussies do like their Toyota’s
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    It's a funny thing, I'd personally never touch another Toyota product in NZ having had a string of component-related issues that the various dealers had to be shoved hard to sort out. They are a business, I get that and anything used HARD (including regular towing 3500Kg) can fail but wearing an engine out completely in less than 100'000Km was a bloody new one on me.
    You are probably talking about models after 2005, the earlier hilux's were better.
    No.3 likes this.
    When hunting think safety first