Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Which 4x4

Anyone have much experience with the newer triton?

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    available only in auto nowadays so we bought a dmax

I drove one for three days week before last. Rental through a contractor.

It felt way "fatter" than the previous one. Pretty sure it's been supersized like a lot of them these days.

But like the previous model, it just doesn't feel as solid as I'm used to. I said to the one guy, if you imagine a scale where "solid" is the Hilux, and "flimsy" is the previous model Great Wall, the new Mitsi is somewhere in the middle.
    7mmsaum, superdiver, RV1 and 1 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I drove one for three days week before last. Rental through a contractor.

It felt way "fatter" than the previous one. Pretty sure it's been supersized like a lot of them these days.

But like the previous model, it just doesn't feel as solid as I'm used to. I said to the one guy, if you imagine a scale where "solid" is the Hilux, and "flimsy" is the previous model Great Wall, the new Mitsi is somewhere in the middle.
    What do you mean solid? I'm mostly concerned about reliability.
    Have a hilux on hold but for the same money, half the kms and 2 years newer I can get what seems to be a very nice triton.

The tritons have a great name over here. The thinking man’s Hilux.
    Worth a look. Not pretty but seem to go well for guys that aren’t flogging them every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a hilux on hold but for the same money, half the kms and 2 years newer I can get what seems to be a very nice triton.
    you have already answered one question. hilux and rangers seem to hold there money compared to other brands. So you have to think resale

they take a fair amount of flogging- ive seen them on the same tracks as i do
    u guys dont do the mileage we do - i did 3800km for a 4 days fish the other day, and its nothing funny to do 5000km one way for me for a buffalo, about 1500 1 way for camels. most cars in nz would not do mileage but run out of time on warranty, other way around mileage runs out before time on waranty - trition is the only mob giving 5 yr , i think 130 or 150K warranty - most others i know of is 100k 3 yrs
    says something i reckon if the manufacturer beliefs in it
    go drive it - as much as i buy toyo over here , in nz with service agents every what 500 km, i dont think its an issue, I only use a 70 because of the load i tow , where i go and the availability of parts in the outback - every farm has at least 1
    I would buy a triton - as long as i know it hasbt been flogged -the same as any other vehicle Id go the less km vehicle cheaper vehicle, chuck the rest of the money on the home loan - sensible being. or better on a heli hunt ;p
    trapperjohn likes this.

Caretaker
    The triton has slightly vague steering when cornering on undulating surfaces and a weird traction wobble in the rear in the same corners

Pushed hard the suspension gives no reliable feedback and removes confidence rather than instills it, the mitsy has very average shocks that lose some dampening and rebound control after 30 mins of spirited driving

The speed control is vague at best and the suspension can’t hold much weight in the rear

The hilux is an arrow and stays where you put it and power slides are predictable and easy to control

It seems the hilux enjoys all the best engineering patents and the mitsy had to use the ones that were left over

I have driven many many models of each for years and the mitsy hasn’t changed, the hilux has evolved somewhat

The mitsy has great brakes but also feels 500 kg lighter
    tetawa, BRADS and Flyblown like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Was just going to say one thing that the current Toyota utes struggle with is brakes. My mate is still doing a roaring trade replacing front rotors and pads on the ones used for heavy towing. I don't know why that would be as the current model hilux seems to have much improved and upsized components in the front braking setup.

Which 4x4

Drums in the back, front disks taking the extra force?

Dunno. The numbers of Hilux brakes coming in vs anything else is noticeably higher - I can't really get my head around the fact that Hilux's are getting used for that much more towing than any other brand of ute?

He's getting everything else in for brake services as well, just the biggest proportion of his work is definitely Toyotas. To be fair I don't know if it's a 'bad thing', it could just be a 'thing' from how Toyota have chosen to set the vehicle up in terms of rotor/pad specs and it's just something you have to factor in with the cost of running the vehicle? If you don't know that prior to discovering it it's a pain in the bum though.

The European move to low profile tyres and 17-19 inch rims was to permit room for nice large diameter brake rotors to be fitted to assist with the significant speed differential a lot of those nations permit vehicles to travel at on their highways.

Always makes me laugh seeing 4x4's fitted with low profile tyres and tiny wee disc rotors inside a gaping big hole due to the fitting of large dia rims.

We've got 3 Triton's at work, no worse than a Hilux, probably less trouble than my Raptors.

Ended up with a triton. Love it so far
    Bryan and 308 like this.

MSL
    Ended up with a triton. Love it so far
    That’s all that matters.