Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 6x6 Truck vs 6x4 Truck - school me

Minor details, minor details...

You'll get that as a twin steer rigid, but that is a whole nuther mother offroad. Think Fonterra tanker minus the bendy bit on the bum...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Minor details, minor details...

You'll get that as a twin steer rigid, but that is a whole nuther mother offroad. Think Fonterra tanker minus the bendy bit on the bum...
    Driven twin steers off road much?? Better have something heavy floating around to pull you out they suck off road.

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Driven twin steers off road much?? Better have something heavy floating around to pull you out they suck off road.
    Was it an 8x8 you were driving Mark?

What make was it?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

6x6 Iveco

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Yep. Lots. Go further than a two axle or a 3 axle with cross locks and diff locks engaged - there's a reason they are used in forestry and back blocks work. My experience with them is regularly pulling out and driving past two and three axle trucks that are stopped and with heavier GVM.

Having said that, I've made a few fu*kups and bellied myself or made the fatal mistake of cracking through the crust and dropping into the slop. The experience factor cannot be understated with using heavy gear off hard standing, knowing when to be gentle and when to use power and get some momentum up to carry you through something unsuited to the vehicle. All things being equal an experienced operator will get a lot further in an unsuitable rig than a monkey in something with self-laying tracks.

One thing I have found, the steering slash turning circle with twin steers gives an odd effect where you can't turn into a narrow gate off a skinny road without reversing into it. Front end swing is huge with the twin steers, the turning axis is a long way behind your shoulder!
    Last edited by Mauser308; 22-03-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

and thats why numpties take out gateways late at night with 4 axel trucks more so than 3 axels . heck we have farm gates here we have to reverse into with 2 axels....funny how it works out,just have to look 4 times and go slowly slowly catchy monkey...

Up here I use Perry Geotechnical, they have a track mounted CPT rig with a cabin transported on the back of a truck. I'm generally only interested in looking at the top 15 meters for the work we do.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Up here I use Perry Geotechnical, they have a track mounted CPT rig with a cabin transported on the back of a truck. I'm generally only interested in looking at the top 15 meters for the work we do.
    A cabin crawler would be fantastic to have! About $1mil of gear rolling around for testing dirt, I love my industry some days.
    If you can't beat them, beat them.
    They will be expecting you to join them, so you'll have the element of surprise.

Don't worry, I have over a mil tied up in shit digging and sheet piling dirt. There's good money in dirt.

A small chunk of dirt is worth $500,000. You guys are selling yourselves short at $1mill just to drive on it