Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Advice on a two wheeler

I have used all the bikes you are talking about
    Stockman too heavy, DR200 best light and reliable but heavy and gutless for 2, ag200 most comfortable and best farm bike but heavy, honda 190 no kick start backup
    , I'd personally go for a crf230 with an up graded headlight, super reliable, light with plenty of poke.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I have used all the bikes you are talking about
    Stockman too heavy, DR200 best light and reliable but heavy and gutless for 2, ag200 most comfortable and best farm bike but heavy, honda 190 no kick start backup
    , I'd personally go for a crf230 with an up graded headlight, super reliable, light with plenty of poke.
    I agree also having used all bikes mentioned and riding a crf everyday
    While not all that dissimilar in weight the crf carries the weight at a much better balance point, actually has brakes and suspension something most mentioned are lacking.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I've got the same model DR as Boarfreak. Goes pretty well, and seems very low geared in 1st. Wouldn't want to be 2 up and with a deer on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I agree also having used all bikes mentioned and riding a crf everyday
    While not all that dissimilar in weight the crf carries the weight at a much better balance point, actually has brakes and suspension something most mentioned are lacking.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Yup, I've ridden this CRF230, hugely impressed.

I used to farm, if looking for a cheap bike get a TF125 or a AG200, The TFs are bullet proof and take a hell of a thrashing, the AG200 is a good slow cruiser but the 5-up gear box drives me nuts and the non-electric start model only has a 19in front wheel and handles like a dog.

I also used to race MX so know what a good bike handles like, the CRF230 is on a whole other level from DR, TF, AG etc.

Those crf230 are a tough bike, i got bucked off one start of this year and come of second beststill not bad to %100
    I really rate the 230 and even the crf150f but the 150 does lack a bit of power but lower to the ground. Good bike for crawling up a goat track.

Wow guys thanks a lot, such plethora of knowledge!
    Hey Boar freak I love the photos that my life goals right there!! Cheers!

Rugerman is that a Doberman you have?
    I have a Doberman pup also he’s 6months, coming along nicely 👍

Guys I think I’m going to go for the dr200 to be honest.
    I only have a budget of 3k max and the dr200 can fit that nicely,
    I’ll make sure I get some photos up for you guys once I get it.
    Cheers !!
    veitnamcam and rugerman like this.

Good choice for the money I think
    Good news ya Dobbie pup is coming along good. Na the young girl in my avatar is a Rottie.

Have done 2 up with a reasonable size hind on a CT110.
    Pretty much at its limit.
    Have had a few, gave last one away years ago to friends that went sharemilking.
    They are good but reckon they are too expensive for what you get secondhand now.
    The new CT125 Hunter would be good but at nearly $8 nah I dont think so Suzuki DR better value for the dollar.

Interesting thread. Are there any substitutes for a dedicated bike trailer? I have seen some people using some sort of bike rack that clamps to a towbar but they don't look particularly strong ...

I started carting my mudbug around on a piece of 12 x 4 timber with a 50mm hole drilled in it, so it sat over the towball on my ....Skoda. Tie down strops went down as well as forwrd to the air grills. It worked. of a sort.

But did tire of carting a whole trailer about just for a 100kg bike, so built this. Sticks out less than 50mm both sides of the car, and the bike is held down by one strop. Never moves. High enough to keep on when 4wding modest tracks to a hut before going hunting.

Name:  New Beta.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  147.8 KB
    Its about 45 seconds from rocking up at the car, to driving away.
    rugerman and berg243 like this.

Think i posted this before but anyhoo,.. this is for hauling my ct90, made mostly from angle. a box weld either side of tow bar and carrier slides in and held in place with a pin in each side. made up a bracket that goes from wheel carrier and clamps around down tube on bike. i have to take plastic cover off down tube on bike first. I didn,t fancy the carriers that just have the center on the hitch as they let the bike flop and flex to much.Name:  IMG_1259.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  3.25 MB the two white lines are where i am going to put braces to stiffen the front tie down and slot in the front wheel. Also need to make up a ramp as only used a bit of board.
    Last edited by inozz; 10-09-2021 at 03:12 AM.
    rugerman likes this.

Knew I had a pic somewhere:

Name:  Skoda.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  161.3 KB

Modern tow hitches where the tongue slots into a reciever can slop around an awful lot. And yes, a mate has one and its pretty flimsy. Mine U bolts around a pretty strong tow hitch, where I have inch and a half RHS welded to a plate that makes for two receivers, one for the front wheel and one for the rear. Spare tyre comes off the rear door holder and gets strapped down inside. A 4 inch wetsuit foam packer bolts on where the spare wheel was, allowing a single strop to pull the bike down and backwards onto the packer. Fold away ramp allows the front wheel to ride up into its angled slot. Bike is left in gear so the rear wheel doesn't turn when you left it up into its slot. When I can't lift the bike up onto its holder I'll stop riding. Its a necessary skill where I ride. You can get stuck in some horrible spots, and lifting can be the only solution.
    rugerman likes this.