Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: After some opinions on first road bike

I commuted in Auckland on a Suzuki 2006 gsr600 for 6 years. It could do commuting, twisties etc all easily and was really comfortable for me. It fitted into the lower ACC bracket too which didn't hurt.
    it's an older bike now but the more relaxed position naked bikes are great all-rounders and still a hell of a lot of fun.

You will appreciate decent gear when the sudden storm shower bursts, the sky opens and there's a cm of water on the motorway or on a curving shitty off-camber steep corner (of which there are many in Auckland). Both for staying dry and for when the oil spot you couldn't see sends you skating.

Have fun and treat all the car drivers with healthy paranoia when they are parked or moving!
    Savage1, rugerman, Shearer and 2 others like this.

I have a 2008 (I think) Honda Hornet 900. They are a perfect bike for this sort of thing, and have enough to go for a blast if you want to on the weekend. Honda so good reliability, good comfort, good spares etc. For what these are worth you couldn't go wrong. Not LAMS though.

Mines supposed to be going up for sale as I have finished my new/old bike but I have been dragging my feet as I know I will miss it.
    outlander likes this.

i commuted for many years into auckland from the country. i was big into sportsbikes so i never bought my bikes for commuting i bought the bike i wanted to ride & used it as transport too. everytime i hopped on i smiled & that made the ride to work enjoyable. if you truly just want a commuter bike get a smaller jap roadbike reliable, efficient & suited to the task. the wide bars will work against you in traffic yes they may be higher than most cars but what about suvs, vans & trucks & believe me the gaps can get tight lane splitting & you wont always be upright. i agree about the higher seating position helps you see over but you may not see the drivers head inside the car, most drivers telegraph their next move with their head & their lane positioning(indicators dont exist). you dont need speed in the akld traffic. you need wet weather protection, good brakes, good all weather commuting tyres & a decent headlight. it's more about how you set yourself & the bike up to deal with the reality of commuting in akld year round than what bike you choose. forget the noisy pipes etc. it doesnt warn drivers, they're oblivious. the gear is important from the good helmet(not because it'll save your head better but because it'll have a quality visor that is clearer & wont scratch as easy because after dark in winter rain in town & on the m/way looking through the cheap helmet visor ends up like looking through a kaleidoscope and also because they have better venting because when it's muggy & wet at slow lane splitting speed your cheap visor fogs up so you end up popping it open in frustration & now you got rain going in your face just so you can see. gear wise best value weather protection is a 1 piece rainsuit like a big set of overalls, textile waterproof gloves not leather & decent waterproof boots. thats not even getting into the body protection conversation. if you want some of that go with a waterproof textile jacket/pants combo with armour/padding in the knees, elbows & hips & a back protector. make sure it has vents as it gets muggy. you can spend $1500 to get set up. trust me i've done it. i only did it because i was into bikes & they were my main mode of transport but if i wasnt into bikes i'd use public transport every time in auckland. it's cheaper & less hassle & i actually dont enjoy public transport but it's the best way round akld. save some money spend it on your mrs or building your future together. safe riding all the best whatever you choose.
    Savage1, rugerman, Tentman and 3 others like this.

I spent a few years commuting in Dorkland on a bike. About 3 years from Huapai to town on a CB250 and a couple of years from Pt Chev on a GPZ750 then on An RG250. Nice to have a bit of power to get you out in front of the tin tops but the CB had enough for most of that. As Bubble says good wet weather gear can make all the difference as it's no fun arriving at work wet to do a full days work and a 1 piece with the diagonal zip keeps most water out. You can get waterproof over mittens to keep ya gloves dry since cold wet gloves are no fun. A half decent fairing to keep the worst of the weather off you is also good.
    I'll put in another vote for an upright riding position since if ya cranked over in a racing position it's hard to keep ya neck up to see what the tintops are upto.
    Just remember they are all out to get you
    Savage1, 308, erniec and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Well I’ve spent a couple of weeks commuting around Auckland and driving to and from home in The weekends on a souped up DR650.

Bloody awesome around town but I might try something a bit more road orientated for the open road and motorways.

It seems all the riding gear is made for midgets too.
    I've got my eyes set on a DR650 and regard them as sort of a legacy bike. Definitely a lot of fun when they have upgraded sus & exhaust kit.

Nostalgic and bomb proof.

Savage1 and norsk like this.

I commuted occasionally on my Norton Commando when I lived in chch. It was a very pleasing way to get to and from work.(except on cold days) Often felt like I wanted to be on the road until I got closer to work and then realised oh yeah.. work..
    But I wouldn’t recommend 50yr old bikes for dependable commuting of course. Unless you want funny breakdown stories.
    timattalon, outlander and XR500 like this.

So after a lot of deliberation I've narrowed it down to:

Honda CB500X
    Kawasaki Versys
    Suzuki 650 Vstrom
    Yamaha Mt07 Tracer

I'm leaning towards the CB500X, took one for a test ride and seemed to be comfortable enough.

Bonus of the 500 is the rego is cheaper and use a bit less fuel. Although I havent taken any of the bigger 650s for a ride.

MT07 would be my choice out of those, but as they say, whatever spins your wheels.
    Savage1 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    MT07 would be my choice out of those, but as they say, whatever spins your wheels.
    Second that.

MT 07 ��

Did you test ride a Vstrom @Savage1? Any thoughts on this particular bike?

My wife had a Sv650 for a while.
    It was a good match between chassis/handling/power.
    The best way to describe it.
    I thought a nicer ride than the TL1000.
    Not as exciting, just better.
    I imagine the latest iteration would be good too..

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    So after a lot of deliberation I've narrowed it down to:

Honda CB500X
    Kawasaki Versys
    Suzuki 650 Vstrom
    Yamaha Mt07 Tracer

I'm leaning towards the CB500X, took one for a test ride and seemed to be comfortable enough.

Bonus of the 500 is the rego is cheaper and use a bit less fuel. Although I havent taken any of the bigger 650s for a ride.
    If you are going new I think you are on the right track with the Honda. If gong 2nd hand, the Versys was available in a 500 I think. There is also the benelli TRK/TRX 500 but I think the Honda would still be my choice too. The Versys, V Strom and That style I think have a better seating position for those who are neewer to riding. More a headss up sit up posture with a better view of your surroundings....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......