Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another what vehicle thread - 2.7l petrol Prado

Another what vehicle thread - 2.7l petrol Prado

Does anyone have knowledge/experience of the 2.7l petrol Prado? I note that they are all imports so is there anything particular to watch out for?
    In comparison to the 3l diesel NZ new wagons would one be a better proposition than the other?

I was looking at Fortuners and Pajero Sports too but I am wondering if the Dear Leader will make diesels just too expensive to run which is why I started looking at petrol before I discovered they were imports.

I'm not much of a mechanic so I want something that doesn't need me to tinker away keeping it on the road, I can do the basics, oil, filters, fluids etc but engine thingys, gear boxes and running gear nah.

I held onto my last car for 14 years and averaged about 11,000 ks per year, I expect I'll have this vehicle the same amount of time, probably not the same ks on it though.

Cheers

Hey just been down this road myself I have no personal experience but a mate has one and its thirsty as hell on the gas but makes considerably more power.
    They state the same yearly costs as the diesel when its all worked out but in not sure...
    We also looked at the fortuner like you as the price difference was massive, I understand it sits on straight hilux chassis and running gear but compared to my hilux the ride was nasty particularly in the back and the vertical folding seats in the boot chewed up to much luggage room for our liking.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    imaca likes this.

I had a 97 petrol one and it was thirsty around town but not much different to a diesel on the open road.
    It hurt at the pump but no RUC and maintenance is less than a diesel.
    I wouldn't recommend for a city car but off road and open road it was fine.
    imaca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Hey just been down this road myself I have no personal experience but a mate has one and its thirsty as hell on the gas but makes considerably more power.
    They state the same yearly costs as the diesel when its all worked out but in not sure...
    We also looked at the fortuner like you as the price difference was massive, I understand it sits on straight hilux chassis and running gear but compared to my hilux the ride was nasty particularly in the back and the vertical folding seats in the boot chewed up to much luggage room for our liking.

Yeah removing the 3rd row seats would the first "mod" I would do :-)

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Yeah removing the 3rd row seats would the first "mod" I would do :-)
    I was after that 3rd row as a school bus mate

imaca likes this.

The third row along with the back seats fold out to a fairly decent bed. If your after a campervan type set up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    I had a 97 petrol one and it was thirsty around town but not much different to a diesel on the open road.
    It hurt at the pump but no RUC and maintenance is less than a diesel.
    I wouldn't recommend for a city car but off road and open road it was fine.
    The bigger you go in engine capacity with the V6's, the better the fuel economy gets. The 12 month running cost of the petrol v diesel is for the same year is less than a couple of cents per km (fuel, service, RUC). However, the older the vehicle, the greater the chance of having to do more expensive repairs on the diesel (injectors, fuel pump). I have been running V6 hilux's for the last 15 years, and you pays your money at the pump but that's it. Just hat the 75k service done on my 4L V6 and it was $260 at the Toyota dealership.
    Trout and DemocKot like this.

Thats cheap from the dealership,i priced my patrol tdi 4.2 a few yrs ago for a full service at nissen,$750,bugger that.Oil Changers service the patrol for $295,2 oil filters,air filter,fuel filter and 10 litres of oil.
    Oil changers being servicing the patrol last 8yrs.Iv had the old patrol nearlly 16 yrs and still going fine,doesnt burn a drop of oil.

I'm curious to know what those who are getting similar running costs between diesels and petrols are using for numbers, as with my local fuel prices even if the petrol truck achieved an identical L/100km economy as the diesel, it still costs a significant amount more to run, and I'd be very surprised if the petrol vehicles managed to get the same economy figures since even factory Toyota figures put the petrol at about 30% more usage

3.4L V6 surf. Did this to compare economy of 91 verses 95.
    At the same time, my brother was running a 3L diesel. We compared figures and my V6 worked out about 2 cents/km more expensive to run.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  167.5 KB

Data for 4L 2015 Hilux on standard tires which has speedo running 10% over actual (ie actual speed 90km/h, speedo read 100km/h
    Subsequently changed tires to +10% rolling circumference but never got around to doing economy check.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  127.0 KB
    paremata likes this.

Interesting figures my 2003 challenger 3.0l v6 manual 5 spd did a 1000km to the tank (110lt) from south of Nelson to Tauranga just before Christmas. Cost $200 at the pump with discount rucs are approx $78 per 1000km so probably close to a diesels running costs if it's using 10lt per 100km

Thanks all, bought a Pajero Sport in the end. Was a bit spendy but Mrs Imaca was happier with it than the Prado.
    DemocKot likes this.