Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: ATV and trailers, or older ute

ATV and trailers, or older ute

Hi all,
    I've been going around in circles on this one.
    Do I buy an older high mileage cheap ute or an ATV.
    I'm up north(Whangarei) so apart from a few local goat hunts I have to drive well south for deer etc.
    However my newish car won't get much past the front gate of my goat block. (Previously have used 2005 ute and a couple of subaru's which where fine when it was dry.
    Now have a sporty station wagon and an 8x5 single axle trailer, NZ made not an import.
    Don't really want to be making 5-8hr trips in an older high mileage Ute plus extra cost of rego, insurance etc.

So can I load an ATV into a 8x5 trailer with some ramps (block under the back while loading so it dose not over stress the tow bar draw bar.)
    Front gate folds down so I can get another 250mm.
    A 3 seater would be nice with small fixed tray. Don't need the larger engine. What to keep it basic, light etc.
    Ie if stuck could be manhandled or use basic hand winch and leavers.

I'm new to ATV's and open to suggestion of models to look at.
    Have previously borrowed/hired a honda 700cc atv and 500cc quad in the central north island area.
    Was thinking 2008-2012 Budget was hoping $5-8k.
    Am I dreaming will I end up with an ex dairy machine that's rusting out.?
    Ie a quick trademe look tonight.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...3004e2bb83-005
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...7ee6b6756e-002
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...7ee6b6756e-002

Z

Don't buy a second hand polaris sxs even if its a bargin. We have had two and never again, both brought from brand new serviced every hundred hours and never ending money pit.
    "Shop thats never happened before" but hold on polaris have just put out a new replacement part to fix that.
    You will get a real tidy quad for the money you are wanting to spend but you will get a high hour bottom end sxs that will end up costing more in maintenance.
    veitnamcam and tetawa like this.

SiB
    I saw a nifty trailer behind a quad bike. Tandem quad bike wheels, with a long metal lock-box along the trailer, high and narrow enough to 2 passengers to straddle and sit on (it was padded) if not loaded with meat. Wished I’d taken a photo

I have owned sxs and quads for hunting ,
    If it's just for you and a mate to hunt from go for a quad, no contest, if you are taking kids,missus etc, sxs would be the go. I currently have a Honda pioneer x4, and have considered going back to a quad a couple of times, it's just more compact and easier to manage if you are towing it anywhere,
    If it were staying on a block somewhere and not being towed all the time , I'd have a sxs every time.

Will a car with a trailer be worse to drive than an older ute? My money would be on an older (mid 90's) 4x4 wagon.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Another option could be a small 4x4 such as a Zuk with an A-frame for towing. Doesn't need full vehicle rego if towed on road.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Thanks Guy's, My trailer is just over 1500mm wide inside and 2415mm long inside. The side panels can be removed to make it into a flat deck and max weight 1500 kg. (Car is rated to 2000 kg).
    My preference was SxS as I can take a passenger or 2 and the tray is better for carting hunting crap.
    Cons are size, weight and cost, reliability, hassle towing. It would be coming home with me each trip
    Will take another look at the idea of a Quad and trailer as well as that looks like a much cheaper and probably more reliable option. Just have to look at packaging it on the trailer.
    At this stage my take away is that I probably need to spend $10k for a reliable SxS vs $5k for a quad and trailer
    Thanks
    Z

I'd rather spend $5-8k on a good quad than $5-8k on a tired ATV.

Less swearing in the long term.
    davhope, 57jl and planenutz like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I'd just buy a surf or terrano and run that, keep the ks off your good vehicle and so much less fluffing about just get in it and go
    gadgetman, tetawa and MAJOR F like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

here is what i use,
    Name:  20191213_170821.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  7.29 MB
    not a great photo, ends of trailer come off and sides fold down.
    if i built another trailer then i would have the deck of trailer above the tyres, so that over size of deck would be larger.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

also good at going up steep inclines,
    rugerman, berg243 and Max Headroom like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

My vote would be an older 4x4 , ive got an old nissan mistral and ive had it in some narly places with just mud tires and a winch slapped on
    MAJOR F likes this.

HAD excatly the same delemea i end up getting a feroza 1600 inj and just tow it behind my disco 4 feroza goes anywhere and ive got a heater and sounds

Ive got a 2012 manual Honda TRX 500 quad with power steering that Im looking to move on.

bigbear and berg243 like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    for a hunting bike i really like a manual as they can be held in a gear and lower revs used to keep the noise down.
    Yep agree. Way better than a CVT type where you generally have to rev the guts out of them to move.