Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Caravan storage problem for f/a

Caravan storage problem for f/a

Stuffed if I can figure how to solve this issue.
    I have a Jayco poptop caravan and as per regs need to fit a suitable safe box/case to transport any firearm I carry. Said box should be in the van and is to be bolted with minimum 10 mm ‘unreachable’ fittings, with bolt and ammo stored separately and securely. I have no issue except my van does not lend itself to the demands of the regulations.

This caravan has, at one end, the cooker, a series of short vertical cupboards and drawers for cutlery. Each ‘cavity’ has cross members, thus dividing into smaller pockets. Some appear to be structural bracing. In one corner of that end is a shower cubicle incorporating fold down basin and loo.

Working along the rhs, I have a fridge,two more short vertical cupboards and electrics readouts. Moving forward is one single bed and between that at front of van are two further drawers with a short (shirt-hanging) wardrobe. A second single bed is on lhs before dining area with padded seating leads to the door.

To store a rifle in an approved bolted down container, I’d thought under bed would be ideal, EXCEPT one bed has the house battery diesel heater and ducting and a drawer bisecting what’s left of the space. The other bed has a deep drawer going right to exterior wall.
    Under the dining seating I strike the wheel arch and more dividers/cum bracing.
    The whole ‘top plate’ of the van walls are short lockers, each large enough for (say) x4 loaves of bread and again have dividers/bracing to stiffen the shell.

In considering the external front locker, a dividing wall, gas bottles and diesel tank prevent anything longer than levelling ramps being stored.
    If anyone can suggest a sensible solution, please yell out. I’ve asked the ‘uniforms’ what to do as they need to approve and sign off any fitting. The ultimate solution might be to buy a takedown B13 or similar, but size would be paramount as my shortest rifle won’t fit anywhere.
    Sensible suggestions welcome; a B13 is far cheaper than a bigger van.

What are you towing it with?? Do the regs permit you to bolt a secure receptacle into your tow wagon, instead of your caravan itself?
    Moa Hunter and outlander like this.

Can you cut holes in the dividers in the overhead cupboards such that you can slide the rifle in from one end and install a chain/trigger guard lock along with a lock on the cupboard door. You dont need full depth dividers to structurally stiffen a van up.

Or take it into a cabinet maker and replace a set of cupboards to suit, or screw a plastic/aluminium gun case on the outside of the bed or up a side of a cupboard if you get my drift

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    What are you towing it with?? Do the regs permit you to bolt a secure receptacle into your tow wagon, instead of your caravan itself?
    Towing with Isuzu MU-X. Transport Act allows cartage with stuff separated and concealed. Ideally looking for van storage tho. My vehicle has luggage ‘staples’ in rear, but they certainly aren’t robust enough for security imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Can you cut holes in the dividers in the overhead cupboards such that you can slide the rifle in from one end and install a chain/trigger guard lock along with a lock on the cupboard door. You dont need full depth dividers to structurally stiffen a van up.

Or take it into a cabinet maker and replace a set of cupboards to suit, or screw a plastic/aluminium gun case on the outside of the bed or up a side of a cupboard if you get my drift
    I understand your suggestion. Storage unit must be bolted to van chassis. There’s no way I can fit anything as you suggest unfortunately, as cupboards too short. Being a poptop, the roof comes down to sit on top of cupboards, so no vertical extension would work. I’ve been trying to figure a solution for months.

Hmmmm...

Can you recess the floor section down between the chassis rails in an area and have a decent thickness steel box with a locking lid that is in itself concealed under the floor coverings? I doubt anyone would have ever considered a pop top camper for firearms storage before - well not in a manner that complies with the new regs anyway.

I have bolted to the chassis of my UK caravan one of those wall racks with a bar that goes through the trigger guard and a hoop over the barrel, seen and signed off by the arms officer. She told me its all good but to make sure ammo is kept in the car in a locked container not in the caravan.

I used shear nuts on the bolts with thread locker and also hammered over the ends of the bolts.

Something like this rack link

Mine is under my bed but I see you don't have room.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Can you shorten the deep drawer under one of the beds? so it doesn’t go all the way to the back wall
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for suggestions guys. Re @ No.3’s suggestion. Possibly, but I have three large storage tanks underfloor and they’re fixed to chassis. This van is capable of supporting me and missus off grid for extended periods; Blackwater being the only real consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Can you shorten the deep drawer under one of the beds? so it doesn’t go all the way to the back wall
    That’s been suggested by a mate. It could be done I guess but I’d need to leave my jocks at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    That’s been suggested by a mate. It could be done I guess but I’d need to leave my jocks at home.
    yes n no...... you could use Happy Jacks rack in behind slightly shortened draws,slide draw right out to lock up or get out rifle from rack...
    Ive looked at our poptop camper and its piece of piss to do it across the single bed/bench at door end,could easily just place a wee tuffy in there and bolt through floor .
    Ingrid 51 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Thanks for suggestions guys. Re @ No.3’s suggestion. Possibly, but I have three large storage tanks underfloor and they’re fixed to chassis. This van is capable of supporting me and missus off grid for extended periods; Blackwater being the only real consideration.
    How much height do you need, only a rifle. New brackets on the tank to lower it by the required amount and it's actually the perfect solution as the bottom of the floor mod isn't visible at all. And, if you use the black water tank and someone gets clever and tries to get in from the bottom...
    Micky Duck and Ingrid 51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    How much height do you need, only a rifle. New brackets on the tank to lower it by the required amount and it's actually the perfect solution as the bottom of the floor mod isn't visible at all. And, if you use the black water tank and someone gets clever and tries to get in from the bottom...
    That's a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    they would end up "getting IT from the bottom" if they tried
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hmmm - can you recess the safe INTO the tank haha. Wouldn't need locks or security at all then. Probably wouldn't want to go hunting either though!!!