Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: E-bikes, E-hunting bikes - what've you got?

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Once you excede 250 watt motive power you can't "legally" use it where MTB's are permitted by the so called powers to be. So you might as well go full monty and embrace petrol power
    Yes, EMTB have their place, on tracks and forestry roads. But try heading bush for a 5 day hunt, all equipment on board, 30km ride in, and two deer on board for the trip out. Even the lowly mudbug, with its minimal suspension, is streets ahead in the comfy arse and carrying department

Attachment 176467

800m in front of this photo is a shaley slope inclinometered at 29 degrees. Bikes putt up there, no running out of puff a third of the way up
    Yeah that's a lot of gear. Beyond my MTB for sure
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

A good general article to understand hunting ebike technology and models available:
    https://ebikegeneration.com/blogs/ne...bikes-for-2019
    Shearer likes this.

Shearer: Yeah. Being fully ridged it really benefits from the low pressures. Much like a quad the low pressures soak up bumps and provide great traction. On the down side it does make it harder to pedal so an electric version would be good. Had it in all sorts of places.
    Good to know. From umpteen hundred 4wd club trips - Coast to Coast etc - varying tyre pressures crucial to widen traction footprint but also for comfort. We do it all the time. Same (albeit to a lesser degree) with my offroad motorbikes as needed. From this conversation I'd be looking at a fatter tyre E like the Cherokee Chief, hopefully with some suspension. My last Ebike had simple front shocks plus seat suspension - very elementary but it helped. Then run bigger tyres softish (amazed you can run them at 4psi) and they'll be good to go.

Would not spend Big coin on an offroad E however. My previous offroad motorbikes were very capable, and little mudbugs/XR150s/AG100s in good condition still pretty cheap. Often well under 2k for a tidy one
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

ebf
    @Jhon, what's the saddle you have on the Haibike ? Does not look like the one they have in the shop photos.
    Jhon likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @Jhon, what's the saddle you have on the Haibike ? Does not look like the one they have in the shop photos.
    It has Lookin Royal Gel on it. Amazing comfort. They are about $65 but was swapped for no extra when I bought the bike
    ebf likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Sika Seeker View Post
    Attachment 176385
    Attachment 176386

Here’s mine. Have found it a great little bike. Takes a reasonable load and is light enough to lift over and walk through bogs which you can just pull throttle as your walking beside it. Frame hinges in the centre so you could pop it in the boot of a car if needed. I mainly use it in the whanganui. Next step is to mount a rifle holder on it. Cost me a little over 2k
    i have one of these, and its cooked the speed control once and i overheated it again today. Its ok on the flat but a long hill like the rimutaka incline is too much for it. Just got back from a three day hunt on it and it was ok but reasonably flat ground. Steep long hills bring up a fault code e10.

This is what the army were trialing.

Name:  UBCOxNZDF-2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  128.5 KB
    rugerman, Cordite and RV1 like this.

Ubco?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

'Trialling' is a bit of a long bow...trialling against what set of parameters? Trialling against what other contenders?

Having a play at attempting to be green for the bosses is about all the Ubco is good for.

Yes the blurb says payload 150kg, max distance 120km. But I bet those two figures are not compatible. Also, its not set up for proper off road travel...not with puny shock absorbers and tiny front fork travel.

Not completely knocking it, but having a vehicle that cannot go anywhere for 4-6 hours does not fit any tactical envelope I can think of.

Yes, it may have some value back in the rear, inside a logistic base for putting to and fro attending O groups or getting to the mess tent first.

But SF recce asset in front of recon assets yeah, nah. I know for a fact the petrol powered enduro bikes our SF guys use can carry that weight if necessary, but over the most gnarly terrain, for at least 100km. Chrome molly frame, 300mm of suspension travel, and in 2 minutes the bike would be fueled up ready to do it all again! (not sure if the rider would though!!!)

Its the Army FFS. Not DoC or some District council wanting to be seen as uber green. It needs to work well all of the time. And petrol and diesel power is the only tried and tested motive power we have at this point it time.
    madjon_, ANTSMAN, Mistral and 7 others like this.

Umm . . . . Cripes, just showing you a picture of the bike dood.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 03-04-2022 at 10:08 PM.
    Cordite and XR500 like this.

Yeah, I know I cranked that out a bit one eyed!

Its just I served for a quarter century in the Army, and saw money thrown away on so many stuupid ideas it wasn't funny.

That photo is taken 800m south of the Waiouru rubbish dump. There's hardly a feature there I have not clambered or ridden over. And I know what works....and more importantly what doesn't

p.s. do you know we bought 105 LAV's @ 6 million each...but have not had enough trained crews to man more than 40 of them at any time... and we have had 40 of them for sale on the open military market for the past 5 years and have had NO takers...

Javelin: we have about 2 dozen launchers, but only enough funding to fire one or if you are lucky two, per year

Army still has a policy of purchasing MOTS (military off the shelf), meaning we don't try and reinvent the wheel....but when we purchase the Pinzgauer to replace the Land Rover we modified a few to be armoured. What a fuckin joke!!! They were so heavy and underpowered they exceeded axle weights if they had more then 2 guys in them with their kit. They lasted a few years then were stripped of motors and transmissions and became targets on the Waiouru anti armour ranges.

We bought helicopters to replace the stirling Hueys with helos that could not land in tussock, cause it would damage their running lights! And require 36 hours of maintenance to fly for an hour @ 18,000/hr!

The list goes on and on. And this joke of trialling an electric motorbike is yet another page for the book: "Dumb shit the Army has done"

Not having a go at you at all
    ANTSMAN, Mistral, Brakelie and 6 others like this.

I hear you, and heard about all those things you mentioned. Sure is dumb shit.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 03-04-2022 at 10:51 PM.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I hate them

Got passed by a bloody granny on an e-bike while cycling yesterday. Just not right I tell ya !
    6 month update

Made the fatal mistake of renting an e-MTB....

If you can't beat em - join em

cycled 70km on Sat, all before lunch - nuts...
    25/08IMP and Micky Duck like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    This is what the army were trialing.

Attachment 193944
    Rode one in aussie they were trialing, pretty amazing bit of kit

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Sure but don’t battery’s hate cold….and hills?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.