Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Empty brass on plane

Empty brass on plane

Hi all. Not sure where is best to post this...
    Have got a fairly big box of fired brass to someone up north.
    He is flying down here and back in a couple of weeks and was going to pick up from me and take it with him. Now he reckons he can't take it on the plane...
    To me that sounds silly but so are some of our laws so it wouldn't suprise me.
    Does anyone know anything about the rules and regs about this?

Or do i tell him to get the gorse out of his pocket and pay they price to courier the whole box? Thats likely the easier option but i get the feeling he doesn't want pay that, and i certainly don't.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Cheers

My personal experiance is they dont like anything that resembles a casing. Went through airport on a domestic flight and I had a keyring with a casing on it. I made it in such a way that you couldnt readily unless your stupid make it back into a live round (drilled through the neck plus it had a split up it) they still wouldnt allow me to take it on the plane.
    Carbine and stingray like this.

I once had a few projectiles taken off me. For some reason I ended up with three in my work bag, and they spotted them on the scanner. Dunno what I was going to do with them - throw them really hard at someone???

My guess would be no to cabin baggage but he should be able to take it in checked baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    I once had a few projectiles taken off me. For some reason I ended up with three in my work bag, and they spotted them on the scanner. Dunno what I was going to do with them - throw them really hard at someone???

My guess would be no to cabin baggage but he should be able to take it in checked baggage.
    they are bullets, they might go off

Have you tried the AirNZ help chat? Or help number? Might be best to get it straight from the horse's mouth.
    rugerman, stingray, Maca49 and 2 others like this.
    bunji likes this.

The rule is that it's ok to check in.
    I wouldn't try to take it in his carry on, major pain for all involved.
    On regional flights (not main centres) checked in bags don't even get screened (x-ray).
    I asked an Aviation Security Officer.

NOT PRIMED is what I asked about

I have flown to/from Sth Is a bit (usually Q’town) with firearms & ammo. All following the procedures outlined by Air NZ. Always in checked luggage.
    Have had them (Av Sec) confiscate fired brass (20 rounds in a approved holder). It was right next to similar container with loaded ammo. But for some reason the fired brass was deemed to be “dangerous” ??!! Wtf ? They left a wee note inside my bag, only found it when unpacking at home. GRRR !!
    It was Lapua brass so I really did not to lose it. Contacted Av Sec in Q’town airport and got the run around from some numptie who was convinced the brass was dangerous. So asked to speak to supervisor. Same nonsense. So asked for manager. No, you can’t talk to him. So asked for his email. After several emails I eventually got the brass returned.
    My experience with the Air NZ baggage people is they don’t have a clue when it comes to firearms & ammo. Often they contradict what is written in their on line restricted baggage info. And more often it’s me telling them what their rules are.

Empty brass should be ok as checked baggage, but ask them at check in. And wait while they scan the bag so you can head off problems at the start
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I've had issues in the past.
    All I can say is check it in and to avoid put in in a container that separates it from each other.
    I know it sounds silly but you are dealing with people that know nothing about firearms.
    I had a box of projectiles almost taken off me cause I had it in my carry on.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

It must not be “loose” or you’ll be toast
    EmpireSafaris likes this.

No problem coming back from Darwin in check in bag last June

Don’t credit airline or AvSec staff with any intelligence.
    It’s legal in checked baggage.
    End of.

B

In proper containers/boxes your fine.brother had "discussion" about this with air NZ domestic flight 18 months ago.they were not happy with empty cases but ok with loaded rounds lmfao
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Don’t credit airline or AvSec staff with any intelligence.
    It’s legal in checked baggage.
    End of.

B
    But then it’s a bit late in the piece trying to reason with a retard at the airport.

De-risk it. Box/package it so it doesn’t rattle and put it in the post. NZ Post have decent sized pre-paid bags.

B

Or before boarding flight print out the Airlines' policy, highlight pertinent bits in yellow and have it rubber banded around the package of empty brass in your checked in baggage.

But you may strike an inspector with zero sense of funny....and then look out, rubber glove time
    Micky Duck and Kiwilad2021 like this.

With most airlines it is acceptable / legal to carry as checked in luggage. BUT, it pays to be certain that carriage as such is consistent with the particular airlines carriage policy. Most name airlines will spell out this policy, with specific wording covering firearms and ammo, somewhere on their website. ( May be under Baggage or Restricted Items type heading ).
    As someone already said print out the website info when you find it and take a copy with you. And, always declare that you have empty cases when you check in. They will probably tag your bag as "fragile" or some such and ask you to take it to the oversize baggage conveyor, where you might get further questions about weight etc, as has happened to me several times ( with ammo ).
    Pack the empty brass as you would ammo ( i.e. in compartmented, closed containers ) and you should be good to go.