Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brake Pull

Brake Pull

Hi all. I need to little help. My ute failed a wof for pulling to the right when braking. So far I've removed, cleaned, regreased the caliper slider pins. Checked for stuck piston, thats algood. Replaced both pads. gave the system a good bleed. Checked the brake hose for leaks or collapse, seems fine but I might swap the two front hoses around to see if theres any change before I spend money on a new hose. Put on another set of rims and tyres, no change. The left rotor way have a slight warp? I ran a test by jacking up the front, applying a small amount of brake pressure, just enough to be able to still rotate the front wheels with a needle style torque wrench to see how much pressure each brake was producing. Right hand brake was 60 ft-lb, left was 44. Thats a considerable amount, question is, WHY?
    40mm likes this.

does it have ABS? maybe needs a proper flush out using the right equipment (think they have to be hooked up to a machine)? speed sensors not working the same on either side?
    just throwing shit out there i dont know

Swap the discs over , the left is probably out of specification ie a bit warped .

check to make sure that there is full articulation of the calipers.

Make sure there isn't a stone in there stopping the caliper from grabbing the disk properly on the weak side. Thats my guess

could also try swapping one pad from side to side. Whats the ute

Swap the disc's over and recheck? If the fault doesn't move you might have a partially blocked something in the system. That can be pesky, but more than even there is a mechanical cause over a blockage.

I know you said you did a brake pressure test and you’re following that line of thought, but out of curiosity you haven’t done a tyre rotation recently ? Even slightly different tyre diameters can play hell with rolling goad brake testers. Have you done a basic test on level tarmac by hitting brakes in straight line without holding/controlling steering wheel or brake test on gravel road. Gravel can show initial uneven braking even with abs/asc.

If it had different sized wheels on the same axle it should of failed wof on it

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    does it have ABS? maybe needs a proper flush out using the right equipment (think they have to be hooked up to a machine)? speed sensors not working the same on either side?
    just throwing shit out there i dont know
    No abs

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    could also try swapping one pad from side to side. Whats the ute
    It has all new pads. rodeo

Ok. I've completely stripped, cleaned, checked and reassembled the left caliper on no difference. also swapped slider pins between the two front calipers, no difference. I'm in the process on swapping around brake hoses to see if that changes anything but Murphy's law, damn hose fitting is seized and I almost completely rounded off the nut. If I'm successful in getting the hoses swapped around and that makes no difference then I'll swap the rotors around.
    There's some weird brake pad markings on the rotor though.
    Name:  IMG_20230921_182308[1].jpg
Views: 150
Size:  1,015.2 KB

I almost checked how bad the rotor warp is with a dial, .04mm travel. Also my brake tests are showing the left brake still not quite applying the same amount as the right, only 5-10 ft-lb off.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    If it had different sized wheels on the same axle it should of failed wof on it
    Diameter from tyre wear, not different size.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Ok. I've completely stripped, cleaned, checked and reassembled the left caliper on no difference. also swapped slider pins between the two front calipers, no difference. I'm in the process on swapping around brake hoses to see if that changes anything but Murphy's law, damn hose fitting is seized and I almost completely rounded off the nut. If I'm successful in getting the hoses swapped around and that makes no difference then I'll swap the rotors around.
    There's some weird brake pad markings on the rotor though.
    Attachment 234061
    So, after swapping hoses around you will more or less have changed brake fluid in front system. You ma y find that you had an air bubble or moisture in system. Assume brake pads or rotor weren’t contaminated when pads changed?

Does the brake drag on one side after releasing it. Mark on rotor might be from being parked up with wet pads possibly. Also check that the brake pads are moving freely in the caliper brackets.