Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Farm bike vs quad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Had horses, had two wheels, got 4x4 quad. Also done a lot of 4x4 off-roading. Worst injuries were done by a bloody horse that fell over on the hills and rolled over me.

I am loving the quad. Like all things, ride it within its limits and you will stay safe. Know when to park it up and get off and walk. Know when to get off it and walk along side it if need be. Other big problem is that people typically overload their machines. Keep within the manufacturers spec's.
    Love them or hate them, I bought a Polaris. Its the 570 Ute. Rated for 180Kg in the tray means that we can go two up and sill fit a boned out animal or two in the back. Great traction system, awesome hill decent control, and the independent rear works better for what I do than a solid axle. Made a frame up for the rear tray that works as a bench seat for two additional riders and it will take two fish bins in the frame for gear/meat, plus there is tray underneath for more gear (what did I just say about overloading )

Attachment 121895

Attachment 121896
    I know its second nature to change the way you ride the bike as the weight distribution changes for a lot of people. Just consider what happens when an inexperienced rider rides in somewhere, gets an animal, loads up that very high rear rack that is a long way back over the rear axles, then gives it a bit of throttle up a bank.

I personally think of quadbikes like helicopters. If you don't have your hours up and you can't concentrate the entire time you are operating one, steer clear of them.
    Steve123 likes this.

I can see the argument for both, but I wouldn't want to go back to balancing loads like this on a 2 wheeler on a muddy track or in hill country. Not only do you knock yourself around its damned exhausting (especially after a big carry).
    As far as safety goes, I think you make your own safety through your riding behaviours. No matter how many wheels are under you.

Name:  IMG_1419.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  5.16 MB
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I know its second nature to change the way you ride the bike as the weight distribution changes for a lot of people. Just consider what happens when an inexperienced rider rides in somewhere, gets an animal, loads up that very high rear rack that is a long way back over the rear axles, then gives it a bit of throttle up a bank.

I personally think of quadbikes like helicopters. If you don't have your hours up and you can't concentrate the entire time you are operating one, steer clear of them.
    Agreed. That's why no one pilots my machine but me.

I have also taken it out in a controlled environment and tested it for stability so I know it's capability ahead of getting into a situation. That's how I know when it's time to get off and walk, rather than saying in retrospect "I should have got off and walked ...."

It's also why I went with the Polaris Ute - it has a longer swing arm than normal and is actually rated for 180kg. The frame is build so that the bins when used have this bums at the top of the tray height keeping COG as low as possible. Boned out meat goes into the rear tray, so it is usually just gear you want to keep dry that goes into the bins.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    4 wheels verse 2. Carried a 221 lb boar and a mate out of the bush couple of months ago.on a quad no problems.
    Have carried whole deer and the odd big pig on my Tx 400 on the flats no problems, buuuuuuuuut try coming down a steep hill with no weight on your front wheels is just stupid as I have found out the hard way.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

All good fellas. Worth remembering there ain't gonna be any big loads! When I'm on my own, I struggle to get a red deer onto the rack of a quad, thanks to multiple surgeries. I'm all about boning it out in the bush now, hanging it up in meat bags overnight if necessary.

This is pretty much the best I can do now, on my own... I can get it onto the rack if I really try, but twice now, that's just resulted in another hernia and my intestines trying to escape.

Name:  11032059-FF3A-4B0F-88D1-9B9BEA307215.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  1.51 MB
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Agreed. That's why no one pilots my machine but me.

I have also taken it out in a controlled environment and tested it for stability so I know it's capability ahead of getting into a situation. That's how I know when it's time to get off and walk, rather than saying in retrospect "I should have got off and walked ...."

It's also why I went with the Polaris Ute - it has a longer swing arm than normal and is actually rated for 180kg. The frame is build so that the bins when used have this bums at the top of the tray height keeping COG as low as possible. Boned out meat goes into the rear tray, so it is usually just gear you want to keep dry that goes into the bins.
    I'm not saying you have a bad set up. For my bike I have a set of boxes that attach with ratchet strops that are attached to the boxes, so I can just swap the boxes for different tasks. Some of them are horrendously awkward.

My point was more that if someone reads some of these comments and is not aware that loaded vs unloaded is like two separate machines, then they can get into trouble.

As far as stable goes, try the new model Kingquad in hill country. It actually feels like you can't tip it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You dont have to be doing a lot wrong at all to end up with a quad on top of you, just ask my friend Quentin...oh, actually, you wont be able to ask him....
    The problem with quads has been pointed out clear as day here and it's the fact they lull people into a false sense of security and give the user confidence that they shouldn't have
    Hence why I said you need to understand the limitations of quads.
    The reason why so meany experienced riders crash them is due to getting complacent and taking for granted what they can and cannot do.

The thing with a 2 wheeler is a novice or inexperienced rider can easily make a hash of things, and when you are tired wet and muddy in the middle of the bush shit inexperience multiplies rapidly. I've ridden some nasty trails on my 2 wheeler that you would never dream of taking 4 wheeler on, but it could have gotten nasty real quick.

For a general farm hack I'd personally have a 2 wheeler, but for a hunting bike that is going to be loaded up with gear and going down known bad trails I'd go for a quad.

It doesnt even take being complacent, genuine accidents do happen and when they do, they can be fatal very easily. My buddy that died on a quad was riding up a track in the fading light, realised the track was washed out so he did a three point turn to turn around and head back down the track, as he reversed and turned at the same time one of the front wheels rode up over a large rock and it was enough to unsettle the bike a bit, it shunted backwards in a straight line instead of turning a bit which was enought to drop the opposite rear wheel off the side of the track and over it went, he had no chance to bail on the uphill side of the bike and it seemed he had tried to bail on the downside and jump forward of the bike, but it came over as he performed that maneuver, got his leg stuck between the front wheel and the guard and then rolled about 40 times down the bank with him attached to it. Freak accident. Closed casket funeral.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    It doesnt even take being complacent, genuine accidents do happen and when they do, they can be fatal very easily. My buddy that died on a quad was riding up a track in the fading light, realised the track was washed out so he did a three point turn to turn around and head back down the track, as he reversed and turned at the same time one of the front wheels rode up over a large rock and it was enough to unsettle the bike a bit, it shunted backwards in a straight line instead of turning a bit which was enought to drop the opposite rear wheel off the side of the track and over it went, he had no chance to bail on the uphill side of the bike and it seemed he had tried to bail on the downside and jump forward of the bike, but it came over as he performed that maneuver, got his leg stuck between the front wheel and the guard and then rolled about 40 times down the bank with him attached to it. Freak accident. Closed casket funeral.
    Its a very good example to describe. Its really not that hard to get all tangled up with the things in those circumstances and you can't see your wheels.

Thats a horrific story.
    A friend of mines father fell of his 2 wheeler and somehow his hamd ended up in the chain and rear spoket, cut his pinky finger clean off.

While there is definitely a higher degree of crushing risk with a quad, they still have their place, freak accidents can occur with anything unfortunately.

Hey great thread - I've ridden horses all my life but the current one isn't making it easy . . . . seems to find stuff under the saddle blanket regular, the bastard hasn't killed or lost me yet but its a close contest!

Anyhoo - what is the minimum CC/power or lightest quad that would be useful for hunting etc - bear in mind I'm happy and like going slow and won't be going near any steep stuff?

Most of the 4x4 quads start of at 400cc and around the same weight, it just comes back to how much money you want to speed,
    suzuki 400 solid rear diff and basic.
    I like having reliable machines i hate been miles from no where and breaking down with shit gear. also spending a bit more when buying a bike should save you money in the long run.
    Most farmers get rid of there bikes when they start costing to much money to service
    Last edited by bigbear; 06-11-2019 at 09:36 PM.

MSL
    The suzuki 300 king quad is a good little machine, high/low/super low-diff lock. Only 300cc but our one has taken a real thrashing over the years towing overloaded trailers through the mud and brash and it’s still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Tentman and outlander like this.

A key consideration for someone deciding this should be their skill level on a 2 wheeler. It’s one thing to competently ride one on flat terrain and a completely different thing to ride in hill country. Especially if it gets technical. Then add the backpack and hunting gear and that’s another level, then add the weight of an animal and your on another level again. Easily done if you are an experienced rider but for someone who isn’t the practise and skill level required to get there isn’t an overnight thing.

On the contrary a quad offers a system to the beginner that is easier to operate and much more user friendly with loads etc. A level of skill is obviously still required and that changes depending on where you go and how much load etc etc but taking those steps would be easier i’d say. As mentioned the key thing is safety. Stay within your limits and your good.

Along with the other pros and cons already mentioned.
    Last edited by stagstalker; 06-11-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    outlander likes this.

A lot of variation in 2 wheelers too. Farm bikes, enduro bikes, cross country bikes and motorcross bikes etc are all different. Personally if I was going to use one for hunting then I would probably set up an enduro bike with heavier spring in the rear to handle the extra weight. Maybe make up a rack for the back too like a farm bike. Good power, gearing and suspension and romp on around those hills.

None the less, I’ve been riding 2 wheelers my whole life and would prefer to take a quad if it was for hunting.
    outlander likes this.