Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Fuel Efficient 4WD

I wish they made a diesel jimny

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I wish they made a diesel jimny
    Why ?

Daihatsu terios, little scary on the highway when trucks are around but nice little wagons with a surprising amount of room inside. With a set of decent tyres and the centre d8ff lock they go a lot of places
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Daihatsu terios, little scary on the highway when trucks are around but nice little wagons with a surprising amount of room inside. With a set of decent tyres and the centre d8ff lock they go a lot of places
    Must have decent leg room if you can fit inside one
    dannyb likes this.

Aren't they full time 4wd? I thought that chewed gas.

my mates subaru was absolutely mint! on the desert road in a shit as weather but was surprisingly good on fuel. so YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Hi guys,

Since getting my Toyota Echo stuck last time in the Ruahines, I've been thinking about getting a 4WD to enable access to more hunting spots.

Don't need anything big and preferably fuel efficient.

Here are the two options I am thinking of:
    1. Keep the Toyota Echo as the main commuter and buy a Suzuki Jimny as an off roader.
    2. Sell the Toyota Echo and buy a Mitsubishi Outlander Plug In Hybrid.

I am aware that the Jimny has a reputation of being an excellent off roader despite its small size.
    But at the same time I am extremely keen on getting into the electric/hybrid world. How much worse off road would the Outlander be compared to the Jimny?

Not too keen on getting a Hilux/Ranger/Navara unless it is going to be significantly more capable off road than my current options.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    Like your idea of a jimny, but wonder if space could be an issue. Are you wanting to take home an entire stag, or will you content yourself with cutting it up in the bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Aren't they full time 4wd? I thought that chewed gas.

my mates subaru was absolutely mint! on the desert road in a shit as weather but was surprisingly good on fuel. so YMMV
    Yeah they are full time four wheel drive , have seen a hi ace with manual hubs which is a good idea. its a tiny little petrol engine, when i pop the bonnet i always wonder where the other half if the engine went... heaps of access round it to do any work if needed.

Yeah legroom is good. Its quite a tall vehicle with enough headroom. Can fit 18 banana boxes in it.... payload is only 400kg though
    dannyb likes this.

When the Suzy 1st hit the scene, as a two stroke I might add. The NZFS had a bunch of them.... they would get a lot of places because of the narrower wheel base and lightness coupled with very good ground clearance.
    Maybe the Jimny is replocating that retro style.

I remember one getting blown of a hill in the Marlb sounds, I came across the guy that had bought it as a write off.... he was a bit eccentric ( soundsitis is a real illness down there )
    He drove it round all over the place... cut the roof off with a grinder and just used it as an open top. Bit like the Hilux on Top Gear...... unkillable

Jimnys float easily in deep water and can start heading downstream quite quickly
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry Bob View Post
    Jimnys float easily in deep water and can start heading downstream quite quickly
    This is also true with escudos, there greatest advantage can also be their greatest achillies heel

Yeah they are full time four wheel drive , have seen a hi ace with manual hubs which is a good idea. its a tiny little petrol engine, when i pop the bonnet i always wonder where the other half if the engine went... heaps of access round it to do any work if needed.

Yeah legroom is good. Its quite a tall vehicle with enough headroom. Can fit 18 banana boxes in it.... payload is only 400kg though
    What fuel economy are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    What fuel economy are you getting?
    Pass.... all i know is that 91 petrol is $2.8+ /l so everytime i fill up it hurts! Bit hard to get an actual reading as the vehicle omly does short runs and hardly has time to warm up. Evidenced by the flat battery that always happens at the worst moments
    Russian 22. likes this.