Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Glow Plug life cycle???; 2001 Ford Courier XLT 2.5 turbo

SiB

Glow Plug life cycle???; 2001 Ford Courier XLT 2.5 turbo

One of my staff has owned the above truck since new; and mentioned in passing he has had to replace his glow plugs (using Bosch GPM-513) every six months!

Apparently ceramic plugs (at 3x the price) do no better

I just wanted to ask here if any of you guys could comment if this is normal for this model (I've replaced one set in maybe twenty plus years of own LandCruisers and Surfs)

Many thanks
    Si

His local mechanic has said everything else is healthy on the truck, and tells him this is normal for this model

Caretaker

We use Same model/engine truck at work and I change glow plugs with the genuine parts about every 150,000 km
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Glow timer jammed on? That will eat your plugs.
    Tommy likes this.

Go genuine, mine spits aftermarket real quick

Even using genuine mine spits them every six months. They are notorious for it. Mine has an "Afterburner" aftermarket glowplug controller in it which makes them turn on and off every now and then during the first ten minutes of running which probably chews them faster also

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Even using genuine mine spits them every six months. They are notorious for it. Mine has an "Afterburner" aftermarket glowplug controller in it which makes them turn on and off every now and then during the first ten minutes of running which probably chews them faster also
    Have just bought a KUN Hilux and will sell the old girl after New Years, now I will just have to replace injectors every six months instead!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Na, only washers every 45, injectors at. 150 I think. Biggest thing is making sure the oil pickup gauze filter thingame is cleaned at regular intervals. Hijack over

Everyone I know with that model Courier says they gobble glow plugs, and to prolong the life of motor, regular coolant flushes, and radiator flushing/rodding

Caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Na, only washers every 45, injectors at. 150 I think. Biggest thing is making sure the oil pickup gauze filter thingame is cleaned at regular intervals. Hijack over

Everyone I know with that model Courier says they gobble glow plugs, and to prolong the life of motor, regular coolant flushes, and radiator flushing/rodding
    And delete the Fords intercooler, it destroys throttle response and HP. Run the boost pickup for the wastegate from the turbo boost outlet to over by the inlet manifold as well.

Then wind in some fuel on the pump fuel screw.

Very noticeable HP and Torque gains, can spin the rears in second gear on a dry road, and 5 th gear becomes a power gear, need a sixth now

Turbo boost pipe direct to inlet manifold

Wastegate/boost control pipe running parallel with intake pipe

Wastegate boost control plumbed off intake manifold and boost controlled fuel diaphragm on pump

Extra fuel screw on the rear of the pump (centre pic) once you have wound in some fuel on this (1/8-1/4 turn) Your idle will rise and smoothen out

If you have excessive black smoke above 170kph wind it back out the tiniest bit until you are happy with the level of escaping soot

You also have a throttle stop that can be backed off as well, it will pull very hard to 4000rpm in any gear.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 17-11-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Tommy likes this.

SiB
    Thanks guys I'll pass on your comments to my employee.

Wlt motors don't have a temp shut off for glow timer
    So when motor is hot they glow the plugs just as if it was cold , short runs is what smokes them
    I keep spares in my glove box

Had my Hilux 14 years just put a new set in this winter , who could be bothered owning a shitter that needs to have them replaced every six months fark that
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Had my Hilux 14 years just put a new set in this winter , who could be bothered owning a shitter that needs to have them replaced every six months fark that
    They're probably easier to replace though, haven't had time to seize. Just undo the wingnuts

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post

unless its newer then 2012 then you dont have to worry cos they sorted there shit out and fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    And delete the Fords intercooler, it destroys throttle response and HP. Run the boost pickup for the wastegate from the turbo boost outlet to over by the inlet manifold as well.

Then wind in some fuel on the pump fuel screw.

Very noticeable HP and Torque gains, can spin the rears in second gear on a dry road, and 5 th gear becomes a power gear, need a sixth now

Turbo boost pipe direct to inlet manifold

Wastegate/boost control pipe running parallel with intake pipe

Wastegate boost control plumbed off intake manifold and boost controlled fuel diaphragm on pump

Extra fuel screw on the rear of the pump (centre pic) once you have wound in some fuel on this (1/8-1/4 turn) Your idle will rise and smoothen out

If you have excessive black smoke above 170kph wind it back out the tiniest bit until you are happy with the level of escaping soot

You also have a throttle stop that can be backed off as well, it will pull very hard to 4000rpm in any gear.
    sorry mate but no way ,god help you have a egt gauge

fit biggest intercooler you can fit in the front, 3in exhaust, shim waste gate ,hose mod as you have, 1/4 turn on fuel is about as far as it can be turned
    without egts going thru the roof
    and thats about it til turbo is changed as it is the cork in the pipe

Caretaker
    It has a large exhaust, 15psi boost, and has done 311,000 since these mods.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.