Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Got some new spotlights

Got some new spotlights

I recently picked up a nudge bar for my Hilux for $70 which I didn't think was bad. What made it even better was I got a set of spotlights with them for free ($150+GST worth from what Hella say the RRP is).

So my old man hooked them up to my high beams for me (while wiring in my new 139dB air horn ). They're Hella Comet 500's, and they're only running 55w bulbs, but they work bloody well.

They're a narrow beam... which means I have awesome high beams, but I was kind of wanting more wide angle work lights for driving around on farms at night. My old man has a set of Hella worklights on his surf and they're awesome, but not as bright as this.

After actually having them out on the farm last night I reckon they'll do the trick. They spread enough light out the sides to be able to see what's going on around me.

This pic doesn't tell you much... but on a dark country road these light up the whole road really brightly for a good 500 meters or so. Those trees in the back of the pic are another two paddocks down past the gate, and the gate is a good 100m away.

The next poor bastard that doesn't dip his lights coming towards me is gonna get free laser eye surgery
    Toby likes this.

Awesome deal! I've got a big set of IPF's on my cruiser. If you do a lot of driving at night, good lighting is essential in my opinion. Mine throw a beam twice the road width for several hundred metres. Reminding people to dip their lights is a little bit cruel with them, but neccessary sometimes

I can't believe the difference with them on. I'm well chuffed especially since it didn't cost me anything. I was in the market for a set of spotlights too which is a bonus. I can spend that money on ammo instead.
    Dougie likes this.

SiB
    if the wiring harness is up to it you might be able to run 100w bulbs in those spots. Maybe a conversation w your friendly auto sparky prior?

Or drop in an HID kit for about NZ$60. Will give you light output equivalent to 200W halogen but only draw 35W.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Or drop in an HID kit for about NZ$60. Will give you light output equivalent to 200W halogen but only draw 35W.
    ooh - so could we do this to upgrade our hand-held 12v spots??? Where do I source the kits?

hid kit - Free Shipping - DX

If you get the right kit it will work in 24V vehicles too. Note these kits are for a pair and you may need to do a little fiddling to get it all together.

Buy ECAR Xenon Super Vision HID Vehicle Headlamp Light Set (H1 6000K)
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I think it'd then be illegal to have them hooked up to my high beams then. I think. No hid or xenon lights allowed.

But shit if I can get more oomph for less power out of my Shane held one, choice!

Yes, you'd just use the HID for off road use unless you bought spots made for them. Most new cars come out with HID as standard now. Pretty much all the white looking headlights are HID compared to the more orange/yellow halogen.

I had an issue with my Prado blowing headlamps all the time. After two years of unsuccessful trials, one auto sparky recommended upgrading to HID's.

BRILLIANT low beam lighting, but stuff all legs for long range high beam

Thinking the only way is to add a nudge bar with spots.

Anyone else running HID's with a good high beam?

It certainly fixed my bulb issue. No and again a bulb will go out, but next start they are both back on again.

John

Unless the complete head light is replaced for a HID type, it is illegal to fit a HID bulb kit to the vehicle.
    The reasoning behind it is the HID kit makes the lights too bright and the light pattern no longer meets the requirements.

Spotlights on the other hand are different. You can do what you like to them.
    Timmay likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Ouch. From that, I may need to check if I have had a dodgy done. It's been through 2 WOF's since and hasn't been challenged, so here's hoping that he did it right.

I might give the guy a call when I get home next week and see what he says.

When you say the whole headlight, are we stalking the complete everything, holder, lamp surround and lens?

Cheers, John

Yup. To fit HID headlights the entire lamp needs to be replaced with the factory lamp - if there is a factory option.

WOF rules.....
    Note 8

A high-intensity discharge (HID or Xenon HID) conversion kit consists of an HID bulb with a high voltage power output or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing.

It is illegal to fit an HID conversion kit to a vehicle as it brings the headlamp out of standards compliance by producing poor beam patterns and light that is far too bright to be safe. The bulbs can also produce light that is noticeably blue and not the required substantially white or amber colour. Vehicle and headlamp manufacturers do not permit this modification, and these kits cannot be LVV certified.

It is permitted to replace a complete halogen headlamp unit with a complete HID headlamp unit.

But if you want to fit HID kits to spotties, you can.

An interesting article on driving lights......
    http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/...0161%20LR2.pdf

And these spotties would be awesome!
    FYRLYT driving lights/truck/4wd/offroad/led/hid/halogen/home/en