Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Guns in Caravans

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    But, if only rifles can I get permit?
    Thanks, we have a responsibility to keep them safe, out of site etc but there is no specific definitions on a lockable box etc for transport. Nor should there be they can be posted or freighted dealer to dealer.

Could someone post a link to the firearms act or section please. It will make it hard for a visitor.

Gone but not forgotten
    Not the Arms Act, but this legislation covers the relevant bits about transport and motorhomes.
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...resel_25_h&p=1

I see you can leave the vehicle unattended for more than 1 hour if it is a motorhome, etc, and has had the police inspection and approval of the security arrangements.

S_R
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to get compliance and if they’d be happy to share photos or details of what they did? I’ve got a UK caravan and similar to some of the comments was thinking of mounting a rack or lockbox through the floor.

Firearms in Motorhomes – considerations for security of firearms in motorhomes/caravans and physical installation of a gunsafe into a motorhome
    Video with some pointers halfway down the page.
    https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...transportation

I'm going to be trying to get my setup examined real soon I have mounted a steel bracket to the chassis under the bed in a UK caravan using 8mm bolts with shear nuts and used Locktite on the threads. I also hammered the ends of the bolts so no nut can be undone, the caravan has been away on a trip and I just need to confirm that everything is still done up tight then get a lockbox for ammo and bolt so they can be locked away separately. I also intend as a backup to run a cable lock through the breach as well as the bracket going through the trigger guard. I also made a lightweight MDF box to go over said rack and rifle and it will be covered in spare bedding when in use. I need to get it all done asap as once the house sells it will be our home for a while.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Make a great sequel title to " Snakes on Airplanes'" . Samuel L Jackson " Guns in Caravans " motherfucker.
    Boaraxa, ROKTOY and Happy Jack like this.

A safe would be too heavy in a UK caravan as they have a limited weight capacity hence why I opted for a rack instead. Time will tell.

this is the latest police advice regarding secure storage, has the answers needed for various storage requirements.

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf

I have an inspection booked and confirmed for the 18th October for the security arrangements in my caravan. I told the lady over the phone today what I have done and she thinks it will be all good to go subject to the inspection. Once I have it signed off which I am going to insist on having in writing I will post some pics on here for others to look at.
    Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.

I am thinking about to have a caravans recently which suitable for myself to live comfortable in it. To rent a house or apartment, the issue is not the cost, since I have to stay mobile for at least a winter. If I can buy a property, things will be easy for me but I am not allowed to do so. From all you gents suggested....so can we pass the safety inspections or not if we store rifles and ammo in a caravans, or motor home? Anybody got confirmed experience...thanks
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

I have friends who have a 20ft container on thier property..which is locked...inside that big steel locked box is another locked wooden box,inside that locked steel box inside the locked wooden box is a locked steel rack holding things that can go bang with appropriate other locked up bits installed... it got the tick of approval after pointing out the container was in effect a big gun cabinet on its own...and not able to be picked up and carried away by average burgler in rear of the station wagon....
    Happy Jack likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I had my caravan storage inspected today by a nice older lady who is covering this area and everything passed. Hopefully others can find this information useful.

I put in one of these
    Name:  20221002_114256.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  283.7 KB

Used coach bolts M8 due to the rounded head and square first part of the shank
    Name:  20221002_114338.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  298.9 KB

Through the chassis with shear nuts, permanent loctite and hammered the ends of the bolts over
    Name:  20221002_114059.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  484.6 KB

Ammo and bolt to go into a separate lockable metal box and stored not in the caravan unless occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I had my caravan storage inspected today by a nice older lady who is covering this area and everything passed. Hopefully others can find this information useful.

I put in one of these
    Attachment 208372

Used coach bolts M8 due to the rounded head and square first part of the shank
    Attachment 208371

Through the chassis with shear nuts, permanent loctite and hammered the ends of the bolts over
    Attachment 208373

Ammo and bolt to go into a separate lockable metal box and stored not in the caravan unless occupied.
    Thank you sir. If possible, just one picture that how you install the safe inside. Thank you
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Thank you sir. If possible, just one picture that how you install the safe inside. Thank you
    No safe only the bracket so safe not needed. Also in a UK caravan a safe would be too heavy
    Black Rabbit likes this.

@223nut see post 42 above
    223nut likes this.