Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hilux manual

Bugger, A bit more terminal than a crank seal

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Ive rebuilt more than I can remember and used to use that method to remove the bottom pulley but had the motor start one day and tho only for a second the keyway on the bottom pulley let go resulting in a damaged crankshaft. What fun. I since made a tool consisting of a bottom pulley with a shaft welded to it that when bolted to the bottom pulley anchors against the chassis locking the pulley while the use of a decent bar undoes the pulley bolt. I made a simple gadget that allows the timing cover to be removed while the bottom pulley is still in place ,this made timing belt idler and tensioner replacement a 1 hour job instead of 3 hours.
    That happening in less than a second would indicate a problem that was already there in over 40 years in the trade that to me would indicate that the pully was already loose or it had had a dodgy repair previously but I'm not an expert just my experience with them

northdude
    How do you take the front cover off without taking the pully off its a one piece cover that goes around the pully isn't it you'd need to cut it wouldn't you

I cut the cover leaving a small amount connected at the bottom pulley. I made a clamp arrangement which pulled the cover together when fitted. The cut was not a straight cut . I had a fleet which required each van to be done at about 9 monthly intervals with minimal down time. I only have 2 of the older 3l vehicles now and they are for backup only. The new 1kd,2kd engines are a vast improvement for timing belts.

northdude
    Keep an eye on the glow plugs from memory some had ceramic tips had a few come off if your really lucky you get away with a new piston and rings but sometimes it stuffs the bores