Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Indians

One of my work mates rocks up on his scout/chief ? when the weather is nice. I know he is trying to move it on, and is a bit of a collector, so will ask if he can be put in touch.
    Fireflite likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
    There are two types of Indians, the push start & the pull start, which type do you have?

(warning & spoiler; Indian culture joke)
    Older Indian Joke'
    HMMMMM "KIMOSABE"
    All those Harley guys that go on Pilgrimage to Sturgis need to read history.
    An Indian MotoCycle Dealer started the Sturgis rally, Harleys are followers!
    northdude, Fawls and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    Nice bit work fella. I've got nothing left over for 741's as all my playing was with early stuff (1915 to 28) and mostly with the powerplus model (1916 to 1923) - there's a few cylinders lying about but they are pretty crap (the ones overlooked during rebuilds.

I'm still messing about with flatheads though and currently building a forced methanol engine for speed trial work out of BSA M20 cases with a Yamaha TT500 crank (modified). Here are a few pics of billet hi-comp flow heads I've been making from 6061-T6. The next part is to make a two piece water cooled cylinder with re angled ports and an inlet valve of 2.5" that's closer to the bore.Name:  headMK2hicomp.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  835.6 KBName:  headMK1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  1.21 MB
    veitnamcam, bully, john m and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
    There are two types of Indians, the push start & the pull start, which type do you have?

(warning & spoiler; Indian culture joke)
    I have a few pull starts as good friends.

I have found them to be good ones as well!

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    who killed more indians than John Wayne ?

Union Carbide
    I'd like to like that but I just can't!

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    who killed more indians than John Wayne ?

Union Carbide
    Ironically the company my Oupa worked for in Rhodesia after he'd to sell his farm (due to prolonged drought in the 1950s).

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Nice bit work fella. I've got nothing left over for 741's as all my playing was with early stuff (1915 to 28) and mostly with the powerplus model (1916 to 1923) - there's a few cylinders lying about but they are pretty crap (the ones overlooked during rebuilds.

I'm still messing about with flatheads though and currently building a forced methanol engine for speed trial work out of BSA M20 cases with a Yamaha TT500 crank (modified). Here are a few pics of billet hi-comp flow heads I've been making from 6061-T6. The next part is to make a two piece water cooled cylinder with re angled ports and an inlet valve of 2.5" that's closer to the bore.Attachment 116815Attachment 116816
    Fireflite and yourself...true craftsmen. Salute.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post

I'm still messing about with flatheads though and currently building a forced methanol engine for speed trial work out of BSA M20 cases with a Yamaha TT500 crank (modified). Here are a few pics of billet hi-comp flow heads I've been making from 6061-T6. The next part is to make a two piece water cooled cylinder with re angled ports and an inlet valve of 2.5" that's closer to the bore.Attachment 116815Attachment 116816
    Thats a bloody lovely looking piece!
    I'm looking at building a multi Flattie. Not a straight or V. I'm keen on cylinders and heads that are excess to requirements!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    Thats a bloody lovely looking piece!
    I'm looking at building a multi Flattie. Not a straight or V. I'm keen on cylinders and heads that are excess to requirements!
    How many cylinders / heads do you need and what configuration are you thinking of ?

I will PM you
    bing likes this.

Rode one of these to college for a year or two, swapped it for a car, wrong move when i look back.
    Name:  Indian.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  110.7 KB
    veitnamcam, Pengy and bing like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    There used to be a few 741B in Canterbury on farms. Ballantynes in Chch sold them after the war. Apparently Aussie got a lot of Harleys and NZ got the Indians. I knew of 2 still on farms, one of the owners told me when he was a boy riding it, the side car fell off one day around the farm and it remained there forever. He was at retiring age when I last spoke to him, still riding it too.
    Fireflite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    There used to be a few 741B in Canterbury on farms. Ballantynes in Chch sold them after the war. Apparently Aussie got a lot of Harleys and NZ got the Indians. I knew of 2 still on farms, one of the owners told me when he was a boy riding it, the side car fell off one day around the farm and it remained there forever. He was at retiring age when I last spoke to him, still riding it too.
    Not Ballantynes of Ch-Ch (clothing shop) but Valentines of Hamilton (military surplus shop). Apparently 50 Pounds, new in the crate. I remember reading their full page ads in the Auckland Weekly as a kid.
    northdude, Mathias and bing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Not Ballantynes of Ch-Ch (clothing shop) but Valentines of Hamilton (military surplus shop). Apparently 50 Pounds, new in the crate. I remember reading their full page ads in the Auckland Weekly as a kid.
    Spot on!