Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree2256Likes

Thread: Lets See The Transport havn a Oops moment

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    How much is a mature pine worth? Thought it wasn't that much? @Barefoot?
    Heaps and heaps of variables that dictate a trees value mate. A tree pruned on time and of average size might have a couple pruned logs at ~$150/tonne, a couple export logs at ~$90/tonne and a chip log at ~$45/tonne, less costs of getting that tree to market. So you're taking a ballpark of a couple hundred bucks in the hand.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I hope you didn't cause any bark damage on the poor tree with your tow bar ......... In 20 years time that tree is going to be significantly more valuable than the cruiser (actually it probably already is ......)
    Hahaha tree was a ugly bugger with big branches and serious butt sweep - should never have been pruned! Tow ball hit below felling cut height too! Lol. I'd bet this truck will be worth 30 times what that trees worth when it's cut down in 8 years time! Haha
    Nibblet and Beaker like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Ejected
    Yeah I thought they were like $1000 max as that's what woodhill 4wd park use to charge if you fucked their trees with a winch etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Heaps and heaps of variables that dictate a trees value mate. A tree pruned on time and of average size might have a couple pruned logs at ~$150/tonne, a couple export logs at ~$90/tonne and a chip log at ~$45/tonne, less costs of getting that tree to market. So you're taking a ballpark of a couple hundred bucks in the hand.
    And a Lancruiser about $20/tonne .......... I guess the cruiser weighs more than the tree though ........ A nice Series III landrover or a Lada on the other hand would be worth far more on a dollar to weight ratio

I wish I could find some nice slippery track to play on, you lucky bugger. I'm jealous!

And a Lancruiser about $20/tonne .......... I guess the cruiser weighs more than the tree though ........ A nice Series III landrover or a Lada on the other hand would be worth far more on a dollar to weight ratio

I wish I could find some nice slippery track to play on, you lucky bugger. I'm jealous!
    Yip lots of scrap ally in a Landrover!!

Name:  driver birth.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  57.7 KB

Ejected
    Name:  20160528_150922.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  1.00 MB
    sako75 likes this.

On Facebook is a page called "Truck Fuck Ups" with some good vids etc.
    I'm not into the ones shown what must result in horrific injuries or certain death as I think of their families etc and that they were just trying to earn a living to survive in life. Seriously think I have got soft in Fatherhood
    JoshC and Mohawk660 like this.

Hahahahaha! The only reason a landy or a lada are worth anything is because they're full of new parts just to keep em running! Lol. I'm not a fan of playing (working) in mud, much prefer high country driving, river beds and river crossings. Some river crossings get the adrenalin pumping and the butt clenching! Where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Made a similar mistake last year, realised chains on BEFORE starting would have been a good idea, no fun slithering around in the mud, covering the seat steering wheel and everything else in shit but at least got out without help. Lesson learned or so i hope.
    Yeah well living in Southland, at this time of year if I stopped to put chains on every slithery moment I'd be in and out of the truck like a friggin meerkat out of its burrow! Haha. I'll always throw them on if there is a slight chance of things going pear shaped, they're more a back up if I get caught out on clay, in rain or snow. This was the first time in about six years I've needed a tow and I drive on tracks like this several times a week - not a bad strike rate.

Was laughing though, this is the first truck i haven't put a winch on, because I never seemed to use them. If I had one yesterday i'd have been out in 5 minutes. I've thrown my hand winch in for the rest of winter though!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Ejected
    Yuk, hand winch brings back horrible memories. Got the pudgy stuck once and took me and my mates 6 hours of hand winch work to get out.
    JoshC likes this.

i used to use the hi lift jack instead of the handwinch, take a while and every metre you need to take the strain on a seperate chain and reset the hilift, works a treat though
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    i used to use the hi lift jack instead of the handwinch, take a while and every metre you need to take the strain on a seperate chain and reset the hilift, works a treat though
    Yup been there...waist deep in a glacier fed river. Haha
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    @Nibblet Yip that's about right, otherwise described as Sweet FA, once roading costs, hauler and transport is taken out.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Always used to take a tirfor winch with me for year. When I came to a hard spot I would look at it and made sure I got through, so I didn't have to use the bloody thing
    7mmsaum likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    @Nibblet Yip that's about right, otherwise described as Sweet FA, once roading costs, hauler and transport is taken out.
    Better off to fence the pines and put deer in there
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time