Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree2256Likes

Thread: Lets See The Transport havn a Oops moment

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Better off to fence the pines and put deer in there
    If we weren't within spitting distance of Auckland we would have done it years ago. They just attract the poachers and fuckwits who think all forests are public and they can do what they like
    JoshC and Beaker like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    If we weren't within spitting distance of Auckland we would have done it years ago. They just attract the poachers and fuckwits who think all forests are public and they can do what they like
    Whack up some trespassers will be shot signs. Draw up a roster for us. Sorted!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Trees are already getting to big for you to shoot over, and I don't want you completely blowing them to bits with your new canon (the trees that is).
    Trip going well?
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Hahahahaha! The only reason a landy or a lada are worth anything is because they're full of new parts just to keep em running! Lol. I'm not a fan of playing (working) in mud, much prefer high country driving, river beds and river crossings. Some river crossings get the adrenalin pumping and the butt clenching! Where are you based?

Yeah well living in Southland, at this time of year if I stopped to put chains on every slithery moment I'd be in and out of the truck like a friggin meerkat out of its burrow! Haha. I'll always throw them on if there is a slight chance of things going pear shaped, they're more a back up if I get caught out on clay, in rain or snow. This was the first time in about six years I've needed a tow and I drive on tracks like this several times a week - not a bad strike rate.

Was laughing though, this is the first truck i haven't put a winch on, because I never seemed to use them. If I had one yesterday i'd have been out in 5 minutes. I've thrown my hand winch in for the rest of winter though!
    Based in Auckland (unfortunately)
    I used to run a modified Range Rover as a club truck a few years ago. Had a brand new warn winch on it for about three years and never used it. Got myself in a right pickle one day while out with my brother down in Rotorua climbing the track at the back of Rainbow Mountain. Ended up out the side of the track with a 4' bank to climb, truck on a close to roll over angle and a heap of pine trees in my reverse out escape path. My brother had no hope in getting to me with his truck and I was at the point of sorting out which pine trees I was going to have to cut down to get out. My brother then pipes up saying "so I suppose you are going to have to use your winch now ......." Bugger me, I had forgotten I had a winch on the front! 15 minutes later we were on our merry way again. Felt like a right dick.
    gadgetman, JoshC, Beaker and 1 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Trees are already getting to big for you to shoot over, and I don't want you completely blowing them to bits with your new canon (the trees that is).
    Trip going well?
    Yep but she's hotter than the Hobbs of Hell.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Hearing on the UHF,two caravans off road.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  547.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  341.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  364.8 KB
    Big caravan towed by Ford Teritory got the wobbles on the downhill run,collected the Landcruiser coming the other way.
    Head photographer didn't do so well
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Hearing on the UHF,two caravans off road.Attachment 50707Attachment 50708Attachment 50709
    Big caravan towed by Ford Teritory got the wobbles on the downhill run,collected the Landcruiser coming the other way.
    Head photographer didn't do so well
    That's going to take a bit of buffing out. Looks like you're in for a windscreen too.

It's the 'down hill' bit that has me curious, thought you were in Aus at the mo?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    That's going to take a bit of buffing out. Looks like you're in for a windscreen too.

It's the 'down hill' bit that has me curious, thought you were in Aus at the mo?
    Just over the Drummond Range between Emerald and Alpha,not flat anyway.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Whack up some trespassers will be shot signs. Draw up a roster for us. Sorted!
    Name:  1379321_3.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  85.4 KB
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Munsey like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I've thrown my hand winch in for the rest of winter though!
    Are hand winches any good? I don't do serious enough offroad work to be worth putting a proper winch on, but was thinking about getting a cheap hand winch as 'just in case' insurance.

I have a tirfor style winch, got me out of a few places. Only problem is it is slow and only has about 20m of wire rope. But it was cheaper than a fixed winch and I can winch from any angle not just from the front.

Ejected
    Hand winches will get you out of most trouble, just takes time, sweat, more sweat, more time and you'll also need something like a tree strap and a non elastic rope or synthetic winch rope/chain to get to whatever your going to retrieve yourself from
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I have a tirfor style winch, got me out of a few places. Only problem is it is slow and only has about 20m of wire rope. But it was cheaper than a fixed winch and I can winch from any angle not just from the front.
    And the first 10 mts is taking up slack and stretch . But do work , I have used mine to winch boat up lake edge away from pending waves/ storms . ,just don't be in a hurry

Truck tiedowns are amazing what you can do. Easy to take up slack and sometimes you just need a little help to get moving again

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Truck tiedowns are amazing what you can do. Easy to take up slack and sometimes you just need a little help to get moving again
    I used those to winch a Landrover onto a transporter. Took a while as had to keep swapping between them. And yes I did ask if the Landie ran before accepting the mission to go down to Aromoana to collect it for my brother since the trailer he hired didn't have a winch.
    GravelBen likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!