Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey Kiwi
  • 1 Post By andyanimal31
  • 1 Post By outlander
  • 2 Post By XR500

Thread: Mitsubishi outlander

Mitsubishi outlander

Looking at replacing my 95 Terrano and was looking at these as an option.
    My 4x4ing is not serious, gravel and farm roads that can be steep and wet. Want it to tow a boat 1t ( these are rated for 1600 so plenty) and tow a trailer.
    Ground clearance is similar to my Terrano.
    Any experience with these?

I'm also pretty curious, especially about the hybrid versions as a lot of my driving would be in electric range.

I've spoken to a couple of tame mechanics I know and they are of the opinion they are pretty reliable, with the occasional fuel pump issues on the hybrids mostly due to lack of use.

Bought a new 2litre one 2017 (the new models are 2.4litre now?).
    Anyway, it was comfy, roomy, etc. Went well.
    But lots of road roar. Seriously needed some more sound proofing (which I added).
    My old 1996 Prado was so quiet on the road that I was disappointed in the Outlander for the noise level.
    Other than the noise it was fine, but we never towed anything with it.
    tetawa likes this.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

Yep I rate them.
    We bought a brand new one a few years ago and would buy a again.
    Step daughter just bought 2011 and really enjoys that.
    They seem to be pretty reliable as well.
    I took our one on a 4wd course at a fencing conference for a laugh and every body was pretty surprised by its capability as lighter than big 4wd hence good results in the mud.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    300wsm for life likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Cool. I have seen a couple around 2010-2012 with low kms, tow bar etc for around 15k. They seem like good value for money.
    I modification I will make is slightly stiffer springs in the rear so when I have a trailer on it doesn't drop as much. Wheel clearance in the archs doesn't look to be that big of a gap.

My sister had one of the earlier ones which had CVTtransmission problems. One day it refused to find reverse when she was away on holiday. Dealer initially didn't want to know but she applied heat and eventually he agreed to a full transmission swap.

I love mine. Love the fold down tail gate. Makes a great half way home for my ass when getting boots on or off etc. Need to be mindful of that when you get a tow bar though, as it limits the tow ball. I installed my own tow ball after a local engineer put a tow bar on so low that I couldn't drive anywhere without scraping it. The lock on bar system or similar is a must.

Had mine for years, done 100 000km with nothing but tyres ,oil and filters. Four wheel drive works well enough to have never been stuck yet ( moderate stuff) first stage ( unlocked) 4x4 works brilliantly on gravel.
    300wsm for life likes this.

The newer ones are very electronic. This is the new model with the boxy headlights stacked vertically... We got a runout from the previous model for $32K, 7 seat 2WD but so far very happy. A few electronic gremlins sorted under warranty, it is noisy inside but that is likely partially due to tyre choice as well.

Hybrid is circa $20K on the price of the straight ICE version, and do not consider puddle crossings at all. Period.

As an aside I have driven two brand new hire cars in the past 2 months: Toyota Corrolla and Hyundai Ioniq. Both bloody noisy on the road, esp compared to my late 1990's Patrol. Bloody terrible really, considering all the advances in tech bla bla bla in those intervening 25 years.

Brother in law in the 80's had a Mitsi ute. It was always considered the poor cousin of the hilux, but bloody hell would go just as many places when driven correctly, and parts were a lot cheaper.
    Carbine and blip like this.