Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Motorbike checkover

Motorbike checkover

Hey. Life being life and all that I'm talking myself into buy an older Japanese cruiser motorbike.
    Still haven't quite got there head wise but if I start down this path it would be nice if some could have a look at it to make sure it's OK. Plus they can be the voice of reason if it's not right and I'm to silly to see it.
    Anybody in Christchurch I could call on or at least recommend someone if it gets that far?
    Had one good mate in aussie who would be all over this but sadly no skin in the game here
    Cheers
    Craig

Hi Craig

Give me a shout when you find one you are thinking of.

so your not having a mid life crisis and looking at a pos hd...
    Shearer likes this.

One suggestion from someone who has a couple.....try to get something pst 2000 if you are wanting to ride more than just summer months....6 month wof get old fast- its ok if you use it for 6 months then store it over winter on hold, but otherwise it feels like you go for a wof very time you fill up.....

What sort of thing do you have in mind? Are you looking at riding it a fair bit or just jaunts on the 'weekends'...?
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Well it started when it popped up on Facebook marketplace so I do have a particular one in mind at the moment.
    An older one. 92 yamaha venture royale 1300. 37000 miles pics suggest very tidy.
    Not stupid money either
    I will say getting something like this is put into perspective as we had a good friend of the bro in law die last week from.a surprise heart attack mountan biking after some extremely positive life changing events ( sold business gotblots of money, changed jobs etc).
    Life's a bit short.
    @blip Nope not a Harley. I have rusty 72 galaxie that I've had since 2008 that I brought back from aussie so it's a long winded mid life crisis.
    I liked it back then and sort of got close

One of the best things I have ever done was buying a motorcycle.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Hope you have a good back if you are going to the cruisers. Probably better, if you are over 40, to think about a more sit up straight style of m/c like an adventure bike.
    rugerman, ishoot10s and outlander like this.

@rupert I have a klr650 already. Really need to use that more for what it's designed for. Not really comfy for the missus on the back.
    The type I'm look at is a gold wing type bike. If it ain't comfy it's a waste of time.
    Missus way more keen on that than the KLR that's for sure
    Last edited by csmiffy; 17-10-2023 at 06:43 PM.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    One of the best things I have ever done was buying a motorcycle.
    Every man should have a motorbike and least two projects in his shed

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    Every man should have a motorbike and least two projects in his shed
    My second shed IS my next project!

Nothing wrong with a hardley, it's the reason people buy them that is the problem
    Growlybear, outlander and Finnwolf like this.

Can't afford one for a start.
    Growlybear and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @rupert I have a klr650 already. Really need to use that more for what it's designed for. Not really comfy for the missus on the back.
    The type I'm look at is a gold wing type bike. If it ain't comfy it's a waste of time.
    Missus way more keen on that than the KLR that's for sure
    Ventures and wings are not what I would call a cruiser- more of a tourer.....there are some good deals to be had in some of those. I had a cruiser set up as a tourer but the cruiser style can get hard on the tailbone after long days in the saddle. What sort of budget? The Honda ST1100 / 1300 pop up quite a bit and I saw this one (more of a sports tourer ) for a pretty good deal. I have the slightly smaller one without the luggage if you want to look at the comfort / ergonomics....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...6?bof=C6uInO6K

Bandits are a good option too.

If the budget can stretch to $11,000 there are a heap of options...but I expect that may be a bit of a chat with the missus....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Yeah my mate on OZ always reckoned they bandits were good value for money.
    Yeah probably may have used the wrong term. I'm not after a sports bike, mind you I thought tourer was the big 1200 cc bikes that looked like the 750s.

I've got a 1250 Bandit but the seat is a literal pain in the arse. The trouble with most of the sport tourers is they make the seat all styley instead of packing a lot of foam in there. My Grizzly quad seat is sweet ass and I've sat on that for many hours riding around with no issues, whereas after 40mins on the Bandit and I'm ready to get off ( the bike that is ).