Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MN Triton EGR blanking plates mod.

With the best of intentions and to spark some debate or some additional reading, with these common rail diesels I’d be spending my hard-earned on one of these well before I block pipes or fiddle with sensors and ECUs.

https://www.westernfilters.net.au/13...ines-pro-vent/

It’s hard to find decent information that isn’t actually trying to sell you something. Might be a cleaning spray, a gadget to plug into your loom, a full ECU remap, a blanking plate kit or in my case an oil catch can. But I guess I can only emphasise what I said before - without having any effect whatsoever on the sensors or ECU, you can simply remove the oil mist from the crankcase vent.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    With the best of intentions and to spark some debate or some additional reading, with these common rail diesels I’d be spending my hard-earned on one of these well before I block pipes or fiddle with sensors and ECUs.

https://www.westernfilters.net.au/13...ines-pro-vent/

It’s hard to find decent information that isn’t actually trying to sell you something. Might be a cleaning spray, a gadget to plug into your loom, a full ECU remap, a blanking plate kit or in my case an oil catch can. But I guess I can only emphasise what I said before - without having any effect whatsoever on the sensors or ECU, you can simply remove the oil mist from the crankcase vent.
    This is what I went with on my ranger after doing a bit of research but i also have a blanking plate to fit when I find the time. Apparently it's a prick of a job. The way I see it it's the oil causing most of the problem so stop that first but it can't be good sending dirty exhaust gases back through the engine either so best stop that as well.

northdude
    Doesn't the thing that tricks the engine into thinking it's cold upset the fuel or anything do these Mitsubishis have a dpf the ecu will need to know the engine is at operating temp to do a burn

No different sensor for that,
    On a side note I’m sold on the catch cans, drained mine at 8000ks and I was shocked at what was in it
    It’s unbelievable that what it stopped would normally be pumped through the intake
    Flyblown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    No different sensor for that,
    On a side note I’m sold on the catch cans, drained mine at 8000ks and I was shocked at what was in it
    It’s unbelievable that what it stopped would normally be pumped through the intake
    Once a diesel owner sees this on someone else’s vehicle, the catch can is purchased.

It’s very important to get a good one. There are some nasty cheap knockoffs out there with truly crap filtration.
    Just...say...the...word

Most egr is done at idle and light load.
    So regardless of brand of modern diesel dont let them needlessly idle.
    Yep as above it is the combination of exhaust gas and oil vapor that is the problem as far as blocking up the intake.

The cable was my preferred solution as not perminantly modifying a brand new under warrenty vehicle and no problem with fault codes etc.

it improves response off idle as at idle the intake is mostly full of exhaust gas with low oxygen content, so when you stand on the go pedal the computer first must close the egr....and wait for some 20.9% oxygen fresh air to reach the cylinders before it can start adding fuel.
    With the cable it already closed so one less step in the equation.

Literally 10 seconds to fit or remove it.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Most egr is done at idle and light load.
    So regardless of brand of modern diesel dont let them needlessly idle.
    Yep as above it is the combination of exhaust gas and oil vapor that is the problem as far as blocking up the intake.

The cable was my preferred solution as not perminantly modifying a brand new under warrenty vehicle and no problem with fault codes etc.

it improves response off idle as at idle the intake is mostly full of exhaust gas with low oxygen content, so when you stand on the go pedal the computer first must close the egr....and wait for some 20.9% oxygen fresh air to reach the cylinders before it can start adding fuel.
    With the cable it already closed so one less step in the equation.

yep, they work by convincing the engine management that the air outside is very cold and the egr turns off automatically. as cold weather is common in many places this does not cause a fault issue

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Which reminds me id better try and remember to remove it before my service

Depending on how many kms the vehicle has done it may still be wise to remove the EGR and intake and clean it all out.

I pulled the inlet manifold off my old diesel car (after drowning it) and the inlet manifold was near 50% restricted due to sludge build up.
    After cleaning it all out and blanking the EGR the car went much better and used a little less fuel.
    Before removing it the car wouldn't rev over 3000rpm, afterwards it would rev up to 5000 no worries,and performance was greatly improved.

Can't comment on your exact vehicle but it is definitely worth doing.

I thought Id let you know what I decided to do about ERG carbon/ sludge build up. Taking Flyblowns advice and after watching lots of you tube vids I bought off trademe a Provent catch can and associated bits from western filters in Aussie. These are apparently the best. Cost me $350.00 landed at my door freight free as far as I can tell. This is cheaper than NZ prices for the same unit from other companies and cheaper than the other brands say at supercheap auto.
    You can get them specifically made with brackets , pipes etc to suit whatever brand you have .Interestingly my mate has the local garage , hes fitting one to his new hilux as soon as its out of warranty with toyota.
    Once ive fiited it I’ll let you know how much crap it filters out .
    Cheers, Paul.

So I have a 2016 L200 which you can’t blank off the egr for a whole range of reasons. My old 09 model no worries pulled the whole thing off (not like that) and chucked it in the bin!
    Anyways just sat through about 4 hours if u tube crap and I think? Thanks 40mm have just ordered the above can....we will see. This is the newest vehicle I’ve ever owned so I want to take care of it.. will keep you posted
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

@Sideshow Look in to a remap, I sent my ECU to Australia and for $700 they remapped my Patrol (way more grunt), Removed Limp mode and the EGR (EGR can stay in place but the ECU never checks for flow so can blank plate it)