Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Motorsport deep dark rabbit hole...

Motorsport deep dark rabbit hole...

A few of you that know me know of my addiction to motorsports.....

This season has seen a change to the livery of our car to tart the old girl up.
    We've raced the car in the South Island Endurance Series for the last 6yrs or so.
    This year we put in a big effort and came away with the trophies.
    1st in Class 5 (0-2000cc)
    1st 4 cylinder car
    1st 2L car
    2nd in Am/Am cup
    8th overall.

We were the first home built car in a field of factory built race cars worth in excess of 500k each. So i think we did ok for a bunch of dudes doing it for the fun of it.
    Our season budget was probably the same as some of the other teams tyre budget for 1 race alone!

The season wasn't without dramas on track and off.
    We lost a very close friend and fellow competitor to a road accident that wasn't his fault. That really gave us a shakeup and a big realization that shit happens and we need to live for now while we can. Enjoy life and keep those friends and family close to us!

On track we had handling and brake issues but worked our way through them between rounds. Tyre supply had been a major impact on our season and we only managed to have enough after begging borrowing and stealing from other teams.

Tv3 has coverage on this Sunday, of the NZ Champs we competed in a couple weeks ago down at Cromwells Highlands circuit. You might even see some absolute twat getting interviewed....😆

I blame the commentators curse for our outcome as the LF wheel tried to exit stage left and put us out of the NZ Champs.

Few pics of the mistress my mrs hates..

Name:  received_666938261414367.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  272.3 KB
    Name:  20220927_000949.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  177.0 KB
    Name:  20221022_225349.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  126.3 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1662198900963.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  28.8 KB
    Name:  FB_IMG_1634449243264.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  56.0 KB

Last pic is the old livery we ran for last few years.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Cole
    Well done mate! Much worse things to spend ya hard earned coin on.
    cambo likes this.

Yep between cars and shooting, they keep me poor for sure

MSL
    Top effort there mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cambo likes this.

MB
    If you like fishing, check out the Reel Action Fishing Podcast presented by Aussie, Michael Guest. He was a rally car champion. If you didn't know that already, he'll remind you every 5 bloody minutes! He talks as much about car racing as fishing.

GWH
    Epic result mate. Ive been a petrol head since before I had my DL, and I got that the day I turned 15. I've had my crack at motorsport decades ago now and certainly know the addiction and how expensive it can be, and what can be achieved without the massive budgets many have.

Bloody great effort man. Very well done.

Good old Toyota eh, does it run forced induction of any kind?
    cambo likes this.

Its a pretty much stock 3sge motor. We just put itbs and a link ecu on it.
    Just under 200hp at the wheels.
    For a car that weighs 1251kg dry it doesn't go too bad. She's been on a big diet as well.
    Got a new fibreglass front end to go on thats wider for the 18" wheels we need to go to as well.
    I've also changed diff ratio to a 4.8 so that we can use 6th gear. Its technically supposed to be on rev limit (7800rpm) at the end of the front straight at Ruapuna in 6th. But its not quite there.
    We're adding a whuhan whistle soon. That'll hopefully give us another 100-150hp.
    Thatll put us into a different class though and we'll be competing against the likes of the TCR cars in Class 4. We need to find 10s a lap to be competitive ��
    Trout, GWH, Frogfeatures and 1 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Its a pretty much stock 3sge motor. We just put itbs and a link ecu on it.
    Just under 200hp at the wheels.
    For a car that weighs 1251kg dry it doesn't go too bad. She's been on a big diet as well.
    Got a new fibreglass front end to go on thats wider for the 18" wheels we need to go to as well.
    I've also changed diff ratio to a 4.8 so that we can use 6th gear. Its technically supposed to be on rev limit (7800rpm) at the end of the front straight at Ruapuna in 6th. But its not quite there.
    We're adding a whuhan whistle soon. That'll hopefully give us another 100-150hp.
    Thatll put us into a different class though and we'll be competing against the likes of the TCR cars in Class 4. We need to find 10s a lap to be competitive ��
    Now it's time to learn the Dipper. My favorite place to pass. Oh wait, too many wheels.....
    cambo likes this.

Well done Cambo,iv watched a few of those races,but the camera is nearlly always on the big boys 500k cars.Il keep a watch out for your little beast on Sunday.Those bloody mercs got a nice sound and can fly ah.
    cambo and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Now it's time to learn the Dipper. My favorite place to pass. Oh wait, too many wheels.....
    Dipper is 1 of my favorite parts of Puna.
    Don't know why they don't use it more often.
    Think the gt3s are scared of it lol
    257weatherby likes this.

Had a guest stay at my BnB about a yr ago.His mercedes parked out on the street,i asked what the BT name stands for,Byturbo he said,i just spend 10k up in Auckland on it.New exhaust and got it dina? tuned.He showed me the print out,wtf 635hp,895 newton meters of torque.He said heres the keys,take it for a drive.We went out to the car,he started it up,that V8 sound made my eyes water.what a beast of a car.His biggist mistake was he didnt know iv watched Bathurst for the last 50yrs.I quietly drove down the street,my son n law was out side washing his VW,hope in we going for a quick drive.Got on to the canel road and did a couple of quick runs up to about 130-140ks,this merc could fly,just thro you in the seat.I thort i better get this car back home.Man could kill himself in it or some one else,a car not made for wet roads and you had to respect its power.Tyers are not cheap either.
    Last edited by Trout; 12-11-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    cambo, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Just seen your car cambo,front left tyer flat or ding?great racing.Gary Derrick use to have the house beside me yrs ago.Expensive cars there allright.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Just seen your car cambo,front left tyer flat or ding?great racing.Gary Derrick use to have the house beside me yrs ago.Expensive cars there allright.
    Driver hit the ripple strip bit hard leading onto the bridge. The lower balljoint bolts shared off and the wheel tried to exit stage left. He had to do a complete lap with that wheel hanging out the side to get back to the pits.
    Was too much damage for us to get back out on track unfortunately.
    Trout likes this.

At least yr car cheaper to repair than the supercars.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    At least yr car cheaper to repair than the supercars.
    Thankfully the car still has most of the factory components so we can go to a pick-a-part and get bits. Still hurts the piggy bank when shit goes wrong.
    Whole thing with endurance racing is to come first, first you must finish. Durability and reliability is everything.
    So glad we don't have to order specialty parts out of Europe thatll cost the earth like all the GT3s.