Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mud tyre suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    Been running Cooper STT's for a while now and been very impressed on mud, sand, snow, rock and Tarmac!
    WE have Copper ST's on our Mitsubishi, great tyres. Unfortunately due to some pricks stealing our 4wd/going for a joy ride and getting in a car chase (a couple of weeks ago)...3 out of 4 tyres are fucked (spike strip). Insurance will only fork out for wear and tear on the tyres.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    WE have Copper ST's on our Mitsubishi, great tyres. Unfortunately due to some pricks stealing our 4wd/going for a joy ride and getting in a car chase (a couple of weeks ago)...3 out of 4 tyres are fucked (spike strip). Insurance will only fork out for wear and tear on the tyres.
    Wouldn't yo like too spike those cnuts
    Sniper likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Go and see them ans make a lot of noise, especially when and where they have prospective new clients. It is a direct result of the theft.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

What about some tractor grips? If you can still buy them?
    I remember the old man using them in the winter at home when I was a wee tacker.

Possibly not allowed for comps though...
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Mud tyre suggestions?

Can still get them. Dad runs them all year round in his landcruiser and pajero on the farm.

Can't use them in comps though I think.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

These puppies still have my vote for low cost quality

Name:  bighorn tyre.jpg
Views: 4711
Size:  44.5 KB

Have a look at Maxxis.com for sizes you can get

We've started fitting those Maxxis Bighorns and Maxxis Mudder's to farm trucks (70's and Hilux's) and the cockies are impressed so far.
    The Mudder is a bit softer and has slightly more open tread so probably won't get the road mileage, but offroad only they'll last for ages.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Hi all, I had borrowed maxxis mudder buckshots on my terrano for 2 or so years, never had any problems with traction while hunting or pushing up bush tracks, did get stuck in some serious stuff when mucking around though. Did about 50,000km and they were only half worn, quiet and good handling on the road too. plus they are cheep to buy especially if you know a mechanic or tyre fitter.
    Twoshotkill and Sniper like this.

Welcome bsa

If you dont intend road speed (>80kmh) I'd go retreads and tubes....You want that big V pattern on the retreads and to go low pressure if needed.

There are two trains of thought,

a ) With a small engine and that you need to spin the wheels to throw the mud out of the treads, but you dig in....so keep the tyres narrow, high profile.

b) Try and float across which means wider tyres with a small engine....I wouldnt think it would work.

If you are never on the road can you get a bigger engine cheaply? say 1600cc or something?

The serious off roaders Ive met go for a) and run retreads with big V patterns, tubes and clamps to hold the tyres on the rim when at low pressure.

I run Hankook Dynamic MTs for the road/casual mud bath, I will replace them when worn I think they have done me well.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    If you dont intend road speed (>80kmh) I'd go retreads and tubes....You want that big V pattern on the retreads and to go low pressure if needed.

There are two trains of thought,

a ) With a small engine and that you need to spin the wheels to throw the mud out of the treads, but you dig in....so keep the tyres narrow, high profile.

b) Try and float across which means wider tyres with a small engine....I wouldnt think it would work.

If you are never on the road can you get a bigger engine cheaply? say 1600cc or something?

The serious off roaders Ive met go for a) and run retreads with big V patterns, tubes and clamps to hold the tyres on the rim when at low pressure.

I run Hankook Dynamic MTs for the road/casual mud bath, I will replace them when worn I think they have done me well.

regards
    Hey Steven,
    Yeah I'm looking at putting a different engine in (further down the track). My old man is a towie so has a lot of them go through his yards, so I can probably buy something off an insurance company or something as it comes through. That's a little further down the track at the moment though.

I'm not sure whether to go for narrow or wide things. I can see what you're saying. Wide fat things don't put as much pressure down on the tread, so you may not get as much purchase on the ground... but if they're wider you do kind of float over the top a bit more (which I think is supposed to be half the point of the little suzukis). Most of the ones I saw at the Manukau clubs comp the other weekend had pretty wide things on them.

I run Peralli Scopian Muds on my Vitara 31 10.5 15. Never been stuck, but did float off down stream, Resulted in a new car...

I'd look to see who's winning and what they have, its usually a good indicator of the way to go but if everyone is wide that might be lemming and not because it works best. Lots of ppl I find do the lemming thing, like hand loading prove it for yourself.

I dont bother much with "real" 4wding these days, I use it to get where I need/want to go....my truck is dinged enough as it is which reminds me I need a new mirror.....doh...

........not to mention the cost, seems to compete these days in just about anything you need lots of $s.

NB wide flat things, I wonder on the grip....float could mean float anywhere on the mud in an un-controlled manner.....like I said I need a new mirror.....

Quote Originally Posted by bsa89 View Post
    Hi all, I had borrowed maxxis mudder buckshots on my terrano for 2 or so years, never had any problems with traction while hunting or pushing up bush tracks, did get stuck in some serious stuff when mucking around though. Did about 50,000km and they were only half worn, quiet and good handling on the road too. plus they are cheep to buy especially if you know a mechanic or tyre fitter.
    Nic had those on his for a while too.