Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Need a 4x4 Ute

Need a 4x4 Ute

Somebody decided to relieve me of my LN107 Hilux last week, and it's past the 10 day right off period.

So I'm after the skinny on newer trucks. I know next to nothing about them and I have no brand loyalty. Don't even really know whether to save a bit and use the money from the insurance to free hold something a little older or whether to go all in on a deposit for something new.

I know that I want diesel, 4x4, LSD, and most importantly reliability.

What to look at and what to run from?

If you want Diesel and reliability you have two options as I see it.
    What you had again or new or VERY low kms.
    Early common rail vehicles are now coming up with alarmingly high repair bills for fuel systems...hence the last of the "bugger" hiluxes are worth more than the first of the newer "sheepshagger" hiluxes
    tetawa likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In hear you. I almost wish I'd insured it for more now. I understand that if a common rail system shits itself it might not be worth repairing?

Ruts

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    In hear you. I almost wish I'd insured it for more now. I understand that if a common rail system shits itself it might not be worth repairing?
    Sometimes you dont really have an option
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you want Diesel and reliability you have two options as I see it.
    What you had again or new or VERY low kms.
    Early common rail vehicles are now coming up with alarmingly high repair bills for fuel systems...hence the last of the "bugger" hiluxes are worth more than the first of the newer "sheepshagger" hiluxes
    That has to be one of the most kiwi ways to describe a vehicle I've ever seen hahaha love it
    199p, mikee, Roddy and 3 others like this.

We have a 2009 BT50 done 120000kms. At 102K the egr cooler shit itself ( you might recal I posted on the forum about it). Cost was &4200 for the repair,
    Then the "check enginge light came on at 111K and end result was new ECU, Wiring Harness and Boost Sensor another $4500

Thankfully both were eventually covered by an extended warrenty which we managed to extend for a further 3 years.

this is on a vehicle cost us more than any other vehicle we have brought AND which was nearly new as far as I am concerned AND we have spent the most on keeping it serviced etc according to the "manufactures recommendations".

I would say don't buy a BT50 but I don't think the "Brand" makes much difference.

My old work vehicle had done nearly 300K with services but no major breakdowns, All our other older personal vehicles same
    Let dogs lead the way

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    We have a 2009 BT50 done 120000kms. At 102K the egr cooler shit itself ( you might recal I posted on the forum about it). Cost was &4200 for the repair,
    Then the "check enginge light came on at 111K and end result was new ECU, Wiring Harness and Boost Sensor another $4500

Thankfully both were eventually covered by an extended warrenty which we managed to extend for a further 3 years.

this is on a vehicle cost us more than any other vehicle we have brought AND which was nearly new as far as I am concerned AND we have spent the most on keeping it serviced etc according to the "manufactures recommendations".

I would say don't buy a BT50 but I don't think the "Brand" makes much difference.

My old work vehicle had done nearly 300K with services but no major breakdowns, All our other older personal vehicles same
    How much was the warrenty?
    It was about 1500 bucks for the swift and when read threw it actually covered very little.....and the sneaky barstards put it on top of our finance without asking and was a rigmarol to get out of and refunded.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How much was the warrenty?
    It was about 1500 bucks for the swift and when read threw it actually covered very little.....and the sneaky barstards put it on top of our finance without asking and was a rigmarol to get out of and refunded.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    3 years was 1200 bucks, maximum pay out for single claim up to purchase price vehicle. The second claim went really smooth and no hassle to get it covered. First time was a shambles but I am starting to suspect most of that was caused by the repairer !!
    We have to get it serviced by an MTA Member every 10K it does not need to be Mazda do the service

Honestly if we hadn't gone with it we would have been toast financially, Vehicle cost $35K and I would not have had a spare 10K lying round for repairs at the time
    Let dogs lead the way

Probably best to get an old girl with 250kms plus on her but has been well maintained than buying something new!
    gadgetman and mikee like this.

Ive got a 07 ranger with over 300km on the clock and its only had the clutch done. I rate it off road for what it is

whatever newish one you get blank off the egr system !! it does nothing but fill the intake manifold with crud.
    7mmsaum and tetawa like this.

This isn't filling me with excitement...
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post

One of our fleet vehicles is a BT50 and it just shat the gearbox at 60k and done the drive shaft just after it was purchased brand new
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

80series landcruiser and call it done! Only 3 things kill a Toyota, rust, no water and no oil the last two are optional....
    shift14, Feral and Sideshow like this.