Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Need a 4x4 Ute

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    80series landcruiser and call it done! Only 3 things kill a Toyota, rust, no water and no oil the last two are optional....
    Dont get me started on them! Im still paying for the fucken lemon I had!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Savage1, Smiddy, Munsey and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    This isn't filling me with excitement...
    Which is why I'm about to get my 1993 Pajero fixed even if it costs a bit. The alternative is to buy a replacement and maybe have all the same issues with a vehicle that cost more to begin with. I think older diesels maybe were built to last more than 100,000Kms unlike the modern ones
    gadgetman likes this.
    Let dogs lead the way

Tbh i would go new if you could. Really hard to beat on road and go well off road depending on how hardcore u need it.

Cant beat factory warranty and resale vales are good too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Rich007 and Munsey like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Which is why I'm about to get my 1993 Pajero fixed even if it costs a bit. The alternative is to buy a replacement and maybe have all the same issues with a vehicle that cost more to begin with. I think older diesels maybe were built to last more than 100,000Kms unlike the modern ones
    Yeah. When I replaced the Safari, a fantastic vehicle off road and towing, I went for an older proven vehicle too. Replacement bits are plentiful and fairly cheap. They're also more built to be worked on by the owner. My pick if I had to go out tomorrow and buy again would be another Isuzu Bighorn.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

i'm glad i read this was looking at selling my 4wd bounty to get a first gen bt50/ranger, maybe i wont now..... father in law has a 2004 bounty with 460,000km on it still going strong replaced the gearbox at 250 odd common fault, just waiting for mine to pop....

FWIW, I have a 2011 Hilux double cab. Bought at 32Km now done 104000km. Common rail diesel and runs exceptionally well. Very economical I think, oldies like me don't flog vehicles so can't comment on extreme off-road performance, but it has taken me and wifey into some rugged Sth Island places (we think). Biggest boo boo I made was buying this years model before the injector seal issue was remedied, so pay $$ when the service cycle demands seal replacement. Had no issues with it. Elder son reckons this motor not as good as his 1zke(?) Prado unit, though I understand block could be the same. I'm honestly a tad worried about longevity of high pressure diesels with common rail as retirees can't afford gazillions to fix 'em.
    tetawa and Feral like this.

I just bought a 2009 Colorado stupidly cheap as the common rail injectors were buggered, well one was. I got a full set out of a wrecked vehicle that had done 20k for $400 and it took a couple of hours to replace them. I could've had them tested and metre placed the stuffed one.

Sure it's pain buying them new but if you consider them a consumable it's not that bad. You'd probably sav that much in fuel over the life of them too. Common rail have a lot more grunt and are far more economical.

Valid point there Savage1

Many of us agree that the older Utes were more reliable than the new versions.But there is only so long we can keep the older ones running for.
    I was talking to my mate about this today as I am in the market for a new wagon.
    None of the new offerings inspire any confidence in the long term,so I will likely buy one on finance and chop it in at the end of its warranty.
    This is for business use,towing two ton on pretty steep hills on a daily basis.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    80series landcruiser and call it done! Only 3 things kill a Toyota, rust, no water and no oil the last two are optional....
    Over rated every landcruiser and hilux I know of that's long in the tooth has had some kind of major overhaul on engine/gearbox/diffs because "it's a Toyota" and "it's a good vehicle so it's worth spending the cash on it" and then people go on about how tough and amazing they are and they go forever. Anything will go forever if you spend 7 or 8 grand overhauling it every ten years
    veitnamcam, Savage1 and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Many of us agree that the older Utes were more reliable than the new versions.But there is only so long we can keep the older ones running for.
    I was talking to my mate about this today as I am in the market for a new wagon.
    None of the new offerings inspire any confidence in the long term,so I will likely buy one on finance and chop it in at the end of its warranty.
    This is for business use,towing two ton on pretty steep hills on a daily basis.
    New Dmax @norsk they have them on zero deposit and 48 months interest free at the moment, that's good buying in my book basically at the end of that 48 months you haven't paid a cent in interest and you own a four year old ute that's been in warranty the whole time. Pretty tempted to go out and get one myself but we have lived a "cash only" life since we got rid of all debt five years back and I need to impress the bank manager for the next dairy season so will ask him what his thoughts are first.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    New Dmax @norsk they have them on zero deposit and 48 months interest free at the moment, that's good buying in my book basically at the end of that 48 months you haven't paid a cent in interest and you own a four year old ute that's been in warranty the whole time. Pretty tempted to go out and get one myself but we have lived a "cash only" life since we got rid of all debt five years back and I need to impress the bank manager for the next dairy season so will ask him what his thoughts are first.
    Sounds like a good deal.However I live in Norway and a new Dmax is 100K NZD.

I have used Yank wagons for the past 8 years,firstly a 1990 Suburban with the 6.2 V8 Diesel and now a 6.5 Liter V8 Diesel Chev Tahoe.The Tahoe has cracked the carrier in the diff and I have to swap it out.
    If I could choose the ideal wagon for my use,it would be a Blazer with a 6.2 and banks turbo,th400 trans and 10.5 inch rear diff.I could get one built up in the states for 20% of the cost of a new Dmax,but from a business point of veiw a brand new wagon makes the most sense.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  1,006.2 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  1.11 MB
    My new truck Hilux copy I couldn't justify spending 22K on a 2nd hand truck with 150K on the clock so I brought this which was one of the distributors vehicle. A series 2 model which has been enhanced since the initial traction control & hill descent features added.
    It has some surprising features can't fault it's performance so time will tell

2.8L Cummins Diesel, Getrag gear box, Dana differientials, Bosch electric's, McPherson suspension
    veitnamcam and 10-Ring like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Attachment 60839Attachment 60840
    My new truck Hilux copy I couldn't justify spending 22K on a 2nd hand truck with 150K on the clock so I brought this which was one of the distributors vehicle. A series 2 model which has been enhanced since the initial traction control & hill descent features added.
    It has some surprising features can't fault it's performance so time will tell

2.8L Cummins Diesel, Getrag gear box, Dana differientials, Bosch electric's, McPherson suspension
    Very well specced Utes for the money

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Very well specced Utes for the money
    That looks quite attractive in more ways than one........hard to see what the extra 40+k for a ranger/hilux/colorado actually buys you?
    Savage1 and keneff like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.