Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: New Hilux Fuel Consumption

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    After best fuel economy. Hilux is at 2500 rpm at 100kmh D4D. I haven't looked up specs but I presume that this would be at max HP ? Dont even know the final drive ratio. I thought that rather than change diff heads I would change tyre sizes. In the past I had a BJ45 with a 14BT and swapped out the Gearbox & transfer box for a 5 speed out of a VX Cruiser as well as the rear axel. Was 20% overdriven and went well
    Mines bang on 2000rpm at 100kph, but it’s a 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Mathias like this.

I remember the 1994 2.4L sheep shagger a mate had was bang on 3 grand @100kph. Those hair dryers and other improvements have certainly managed to drive the revs down a tad. Then again a big lazy 4.2 NA diesel turns at 1950 in an auto Safari
    Micky Duck likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post

I'm at 105kph, same model but 2015. Doubt it's a different ratio.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Caretaker
    6.2 litre 6 speed HSV here

1300 rpm at 100 kph in 6 th

9L/100 km av fuel use if driven carefully

Rear end ratio selection is not a panacea

How you use your throttle is

If that crankshaft is turning your paying

Fuel use is a balance of engine load versus time running
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yep to that, kinda sums it up. Most vehicles achieve best fuel economy in the region of 65-80km/h - going over that increases the drag effect exponentially and hits you in the arse pocket.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

My patrol cruises at 100ks doing 1800rpm in O/D.But the sweet spot is about 110ks doing 2000rpm.If you are gentle on the throttle all day she will do 13-14litrs /100k.Just seems to love that 2000rpm spot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    6.2 litre 6 speed HSV here

1300 rpm at 100 kph in 6 th

9L/100 km av fuel use if driven carefully

Rear end ratio selection is not a panacea

How you use your throttle is

If that crankshaft is turning your paying

Fuel use is a balance of engine load versus time running
    No substitute for cubic inches
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    My patrol cruises at 100ks doing 1800rpm in O/D.But the sweet spot is about 110ks doing 2000rpm.If you are gentle on the throttle all day she will do 13-14litrs /100k.Just seems to love that 2000rpm spot.
    so the pedantic prick in me would suggest smaller profile tyre next time around which should see you sit at 100kmph in the sweet spot and not have to keep eye out for Christmas tree lights in rear view mirror!!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Tyers are the 70 series 265/70/16 that the patrols come out in.But instead of 265s i like the BFGs 275/70/16,great for the rivers.Widest i can go with out upsetting the gearing.I sit on a 100k/h most of the time.Im in no hurry to get attention from the blueys or wear the engine out.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good video on Ronny Dahl YouTube of 18month Hilux review and real world fuel consumption with different tyres. He gets 11l with similar set up

Name:  66ECDE18-7341-4F35-B142-DED31DD657FB.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  603.6 KB
    stagstalker likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post

@MSL What is the actual diameter of your tyres out of interest please ?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    @MSL What is the actual diameter of your tyres out of interest please ?
    Right now they’re just over 31” and near due for replacement. When new they’re around 32.5”

Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Good video on Ronny Dahl YouTube of 18month Hilux review and real world fuel consumption with different tyres. He gets 11l with similar set up

Attachment 202708
    Yea good vid that one. After a few weeks and some more manual calculations plus resetting the calculator in the vehicle i’m sitting on about 10.8 - 11L for empty driving to and from work each day. It spikes as soon as I tow anything though even my light little trailer with quad bike

One of my trip Meters has been running for the past 10,000ks and it's sitting at 10.4l/100km, so that's a good average over 10,000ks, 2019 Navara stx. Has done a bit of towing in that time, horse float with couple cows in it, tandem trailer taking side by sides to and from town etc and probably a quarter to a third of those Ks have been off-road on farm etc. Doesn't really have anything done to it to add much weight though, Load Master flat deck, iron man winchbar front and sideboards and running Maxxis 764 in 245/75/16 which I'm pretty sure are same size as factory. See a lot of trucks with all sorts of shit on them that seem to be all about the look, big tyres and lift kits and bars all round etc and I guarantee you most simply setup farmers truck would do a shit tonne more sketchy shit than they'll ever do, day in, day out.
    Moa Hunter, stagstalker and No.3 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    One of my trip Meters has been running for the past 10,000ks and it's sitting at 10.4l/100km, so that's a good average over 10,000ks, 2019 Navara stx. Has done a bit of towing in that time, horse float with couple cows in it, tandem trailer taking side by sides to and from town etc and probably a quarter to a third of those Ks have been off-road on farm etc. Doesn't really have anything done to it to add much weight though, Load Master flat deck, iron man winchbar front and sideboards and running Maxxis 764 in 245/75/16 which I'm pretty sure are same size as factory. See a lot of trucks with all sorts of shit on them that seem to be all about the look, big tyres and lift kits and bars all round etc and I guarantee you most simply setup farmers truck would do a shit tonne more sketchy shit than they'll ever do, day in, day out.
    Definitely, I always get a chuckle seeing the utes that drive around nice and clean with a big lift, big muds and blacked out windows and a hard lid or bunch of impractical crap on it lol.

Took mine out for its first proper workout during a week of hunting just over a week ago. Dropped the tyres right down and took on some pretty slippery clay tracks for an evening hunt. Would normally take the quad but felt like giving the wagon it’s first proper off-road test haha. Pretty damn impressed with the Maxxis Razr AT811s so far
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trout, 199p, 25/08IMP and 4 others like this.