Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: New Hilux Fuel Consumption

Noticed a glitch today normally about 11or 12l came right though!

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    They can sample the tank or container.
    Think Britain has similar
    Britain they have a marine fuel that is one colour, a farm fuel thats another and the road is a different one again. Heaven help you if you get caught with the wrong colour in the wrong tank...

If you have dye in the fuel, it's a pain in the arse and can screw up your filters bigtime. The colouring chemical they put in at the fuel supplier isn't a dye as such so won't settle out like a dye can. Used to use the purple spray marker dye in diesel at an outfit I used to work at where the diesel was used as a process fuel and we needed to know how the mix was. It was quite hard on the fuel system and one dose of dye would last for several tank fills as it settled out below the tank pickup and you needed to have more in the tank to force it to stain the fuel. The dye also seemed to drag water out of the fuel which was a pain, and the other thing the dye did was it seemed to force the wax to settle out of the diesel at a warmer temperature than otherwise so in a cold snap the fuel filters clogged up with a waxy, wet purple ooze that stained everything that got within 15m... Nasty.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Most engines in those days would run on all sorts of mixs with a bit of octane thrown in. Kerosene mixed up with abit of whisky would get my fathers old Farmal H tractor going it he was short of petrol in the 50-60s.
    by the sounds of it you could use old cooking oil from the chinese takeaway with a bit of acetone added!
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Tell me more please.?
    I had a snorkel fitted when I bought mine, before I drove it away, mine was more for dusty roads than water, but...
    What other mods should I be considering.?
    Check out newhilux.net
    It's an Aust based forum. Plenty of info there to consider.

From what I remember Britan has no dye in their road (taxed) diesel, and farm diesel has a dye in it that makes it look orange, quite noticable but is reffered to as 'red' diesel.

They could quickly check road vehicles by dipping tanks or at the water trap.

We never had any issues with the dye effecting any of our machinery.

Pros and cons.

Quick update. I did a week of running to and from work and got some proper numbers to calculate. 587km for 65L of fuel. By my math that gave me 11.07L per 100km. My dash reading has dropped over the week to 12.5L but obviously still quite a ways out as a few of you said it would be. Interesting
    Carbine likes this.

10.6l/100 today driving to Christchurch 3.2l ranger basic model 2012 year in manual. Almost empty tray for once too

I’m going to keep an eye on mine and calculate it properly each time I fill up while I drive up to Otorohanga from Temuka and back. So far Temuka to Blenheim was 9.65L/100km using cruise control as much as possible. 2020 sr5 auto bullbar canopy snorkel ome suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

There’s an app/website called Fuelly that I use for tracking economy. Add details at each fuel-up and it tracks tank and overall economy. Think they try and sell you a ‘premium’ subscription, but you can do all you need on the basic free setup.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Quick update. I did a week of running to and from work and got some proper numbers to calculate. 587km for 65L of fuel. By my math that gave me 11.07L per 100km. My dash reading has dropped over the week to 12.5L but obviously still quite a ways out as a few of you said it would be. Interesting

When you are filling the tank, are you topping off so you can see the fuel in the filler neck? Or are you filling until the pump detects full and stops automatically?
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    When you are filling the tank, are you topping off so you can see the fuel in the filler neck? Or are you filling until the pump detects full and stops automatically?
    It varies depending on how bothered I can be lol. This time round I think I topped it up to visual so if I had stopped when it first popped then it would have been around 63 - 64L

Cool. For an accurate measurement you need to be topping it up to the point at which you can see the fuel and it is not dropping down into the tank. Then reset your odometer. Then at the next fill you do exactly the same. Only then will you get an accurate fuel consumption calculation.

With an OBD2 scanner like the Scangauge, to calibrate the fuel consumption you do the above three or four times, adjusting the scanner’s calculated consumption to the actual amount of fuel you put in the vehicle. Once it is calibrated it is incredibly accurate - I have 140L fuel tank on my Hilux and I have run it close to empty in outback conditions (>1200km) and the scanner has predicted the refill amount to the nearest litre. This gives you all sorts of useful range statistics.

As we have discussed the actual fuel consumption as properly measured has always been less than on the dash display.

Completely irrelevant for what you want to do but interesting nonetheless. Glad the situation appears to be as predicted.
    Carbine and stagstalker like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I wish you never started this post, i done a reset last week after posting info now every time i drive to town i sit the and watch the L per kms.
    cb14, csmiffy and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I wish you never started this post, i done a reset last week after posting info now every time i drive to town i sit the and watch the L per kms.
    Same! I was pissed off when I took the boat out, it really messed up my lts per 100kms haha

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    At least some get what i was trying to say
    cb14 and stagstalker like this.