Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Nissan X Trail

Try late 10k delica 4x4,sleep in it.Good average track 4x4.Plenty of room in them.

nissan cvt's are awful and unreliable.
    we owned an x-trail (x-fail) and had electrical issues abound, just little things but plenty of them.
    also they can develop a small crack on the paper thin exhaust manifold that causes air to get sucked in between pulses. the 02 sensor then thinks its running lean and pours more fuel in so it wont idle under 1200.
    but that damn cvt is just too unreliable to consider buying one

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Don't touch an xtrail
    definitely touch a crash damaged Xtrail GT tho Good donor vehicle for a VET pulsar

I have had an x japan 2L xtrail for about 2 years ( petrol ) It ticks a lot of boxes for me, can sleep in it without bending ya knees. It is capable of some off raod ability ( I have taken it through some badly washed out tracks, but they are tracks ) It will get over a lot of farm terrain... (wet paddocks, steep down hill and muddy gateways).
    It is a CVT auto. I dont tow F/A so thats not an issue for me, it does have a recurring electrical ( fly by wire throttle) issue where it will hunt badly when idling... after spending 3 visits to the DR and the associated cash it is still unresolved but I have learnt to do the throttle reset and this cures the problem for a couple of months.
    Apart from this issue it is still a good fit for me, you can hose out the back and the interior and not wet any carpet. you can drive across a farm, up a ski field, go hunting in the forestryand spend the night in it.
    Shit it is a reletively old vehicle with not much money invested, you could do a lot worse it depends what you need / want and can / can not spend.

They are a bit more off roady than AWD, mine has low and high and diff locks, the hill descent works well, i have put it to the test a few times and been surprised. Hey it wont climb much but it doesnt have $4000 of off raod aggressive traction tyres either. As they say, it is what it is.
    Last edited by johnd; 10-11-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Trout, rugerman, erniec and 1 others like this.

I bought a 2014 one, last model of the box shape, 92k km, sight unseen, one owner for a very good price and mint condition from a wholesale dealer so guessing would have an undisclosed mechanical problem,fseparately I bought a $800 3yr unlimited miles aftermarket warranty that paid $5k per claim. The problem turned out to be a noisy transmission bearing. $4,500 fix. I bought it for exact same reason as OP is looking for. Its perfect for me with the 2.5 motor but around 10.5l per 100km real mileage. Lots of load space, a third more than the horrible new melted shape. Plenty of boogy It likes the tip shift on steep windy stuff- and its a good shift to use. I now have 128k km on it. There are an awful lot of them out there, most popular SUV in the world by numbers apparently. There are a certain % that will have issues and those owners are not shy of dissing them. Mechanic said same as other posters here. Good vehicle, not made for heavy work especially heavy towing. I cringe when I see one with a big boat or van behind it. I run mine between Auckland and Taranaki, Auckland and Tauranga a lot. Excellent to drive...on paddocks and reasonable formed farm tracks it is fine. Does not have clearance for heavy ruts or angle approaches. Has hill descent control which is a great way to destroy brake rotors. Has shift lock.

Best thing I did was put Cooper AT tires on it. With 25k on them they still look new, have a great open road ride and do the biz in the mud and on wet paddocks. But it ain't no Landrover or Landcruiser. I wish I had been able to find .a diesel 2 litre one. Plenty of power and, I believe, traditional manual transmission with a good rep. Mine is NZ new with controls on steering wheel.

They don't like missing a service.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    definitely touch a crash damaged Xtrail GT tho Good donor vehicle for a VET pulsar
    You are a sick man

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Don't touch an xtrail
    He knows, ask him what NOT to buy (the list very very long) ask him what to buy the list is very very short and nearly always ends in ota

i spent 12 hours in the back of one recently..... painfully loud and zero headroom....

i had hoped for better but its off my list.

nissan cvt is still the week point, the subaru and toyota ones are more reliable but still a disgusting transmission

Ned
    Had a 2004 which went through our family. One sensor fault (crank timing) which scarily just cut the engine off altogether. Luckily were in town at the time and not on the open road. Finally transmission crapped itself at 300k on it. Great room inside and nice and flat space. Was a bit thirsty in the end ( prob due to exhaust issue pointed out up thread). Overall thought it was decent enough.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The storage drawers in the boot are very handy, wish this was a more common feature for the vehicle type.
    300CALMAN, Steve123 and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Maybe I could get you to put a 3.0 Isuzu diesel in the Xtrail when the 2.5 dies.

NEO
    I drove a Nissan xtrail 2.0 for some years, never let me down. Her acceleration is good will give you about 3 seconds push when you using override. Two locks, and dift can fit for most family occasions. fuel cost on road is about 8.5, off road 12 -14. tires is matter if you use alots off road. But still xtrail is not a true truck, it `s a combined solution and cheap. 2.0L is my recommendation. old Aussie 2.5 try avoid.
    btw, are you in SI? Canterbury maybe?
    Lone Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Even the mighty fall though, some of the Toyota offerings are no better than the xtrails. Current and recent production Hilux's are an good example
    Biggest load of bollocks I’ve read for months outside of the Off Topic section!
    Mohawk .308 likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

This ozzie guy does some decent off roading in his!
    https://youtu.be/5wrLO_vClS8