Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Outboard motors

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I have a 15hp Suzi on my 3.1 alloy RIB and it's excellent. No problem popping up on plane instantly with 2 plus gear and it gets up to 40+ kph in flat water. Motor is 33kg. Much better having more power than you need than struggling to plane in chop.
    Precisely. Nice set up. We used to wakeboard behind a 15hp.

Will get a rib with bigger engine on a trailer and keep this dingy for what if is. A dinghy.
    outlander likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I might be overthinking that last bit but... Either the boat isn't up to par or you're not long for this earth when she reads that

I've always run the policy of looking at the max HP rated, then having a look at the engine options in that size and then picking the lightest of what's available with the proviso that if it has a dog reputation and recommendation is to avoid it gets avoided.

Always a problem with boats, you always need to jam just one more xxxx on, and usually you end up without being able to plane the thing. More HP is never missed, but going for an engine 2/3rds of what you could...
    It makes a difference where my 2 year old stands. To get up on plane takes about 30-50m and I have to shift my weight right to the front as far as I can. Wee girl is maybe 18kg and it helps if she stands in the bow.

With more than my (admittedly 120kg) mass, it battles.

Specs say max load 640kg which is hilarious.

I like a boat to get up on plane in the shortest distance possible. You can always throttle back. I don't need full throttle to stay on plane with this 5hp

These 15hp two strokes are appealing as they seem light. Will go look at specs.

we used a 6hp 4stroke merc for years on the 13' tinny...it was great but top speed was 20-23kmph depending if just me or me and anything else...we finnally bit bullet and bought 15hp 2stroke merc.....40ish kmph with 2people and two dogs AND believe it or not will get boat LOADED TO GUNNELS up on plane....my balls werent big enough to keep it up there,3 guys packs,guns etc it sure scared the shit out of me that it would still pop it up.
    we paid under 2k for the 15 2nd hand.....and both mercs have been super reliable to start....they start easier on 91 octane but will give more boogy with high octane.....try some of bps 98 in your wee motor....you will be surprised at the difference it makes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    we used a 6hp 4stroke merc for years on the 13' tinny...it was great but top speed was 20-23kmph depending if just me or me and anything else...we finnally bit bullet and bought 15hp 2stroke merc.....40ish kmph with 2people and two dogs AND believe it or not will get boat LOADED TO GUNNELS up on plane....my balls werent big enough to keep it up there,3 guys packs,guns etc it sure scared the shit out of me that it would still pop it up.
    we paid under 2k for the 15 2nd hand.....and both mercs have been super reliable to start....they start easier on 91 octane but will give more boogy with high octane.....try some of bps 98 in your wee motor....you will be surprised at the difference it makes.
    That's impressive. Sort of what I am looking for now. A little alloy hulled rib that can take two guys and gear accross Te Anau or Manapouri would be cool.

Also good for diving off East Coast (SI) coastal reefs.

The appetite for fish from the two girls here is boundless. Current little dinghy will be used to lay a mullet net.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I should note I had an 8hp Yammy before the 15 (both 2 stroke) and it would plane well with just me but a bit marginal, the 15 is much better
    The rig
    Name:  20201023_060412.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  2.80 MB

NZ from... a wee way out...
    Name:  20201023_121656.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  3.43 MB
    rugerman, Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Banned
    I can get a brand new 2 Stroke 15hp Suzuki for $3100

This surprises me. Seems very cheap. 33kg motor.

Thinking I will actually stick a 15hp on this hull and just use it. Upgrade the hull later.

Time to sell some guns I don't use.
    rugerman likes this.

I got mine for 2800 brand new, keep an eye out for deals, they seem to go for about that reasonably regularly

I'm thinking about one of these small and almost an outboard

Had a new 8hp Merc on my 3.6m Aakron....but planing with more than 1 person was a mission...Replaced it with a new Merc Super 15 (again 2 stroke) when I bought a road trailer, and planed easily whatever the load. Sper 15 was 44kg from memory so it stayed on the transom. The 8hp was 26kg so much more 'portable'.

Banned
    Adjusted trim on the motor just slightly and inflated a little tighter and I can now turn on the plane without engine cavitation.