Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Rifle on MTB ?

I use a mountain bike quite a bit for a few places I hunt as I can often ride the first 5 or 10km. All I do is put the sling over my head just the same as I would if walking and don't want to hold the rifle or attach it to the pack. It works ok, occasionally the rifle will slide round the front but if it catches on a strap , it then holds it back in position.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Attachment 134907Attachment 134907
    That's a 20 inch Rossi in it. 16 is better on that angle. The picture makes it look like the stock would rub on the tyre. But it is out to one side.
    You could cut the end out if you wanted a longer barrel to fit.
    I bought it about thirty years ago from the Saddlery Warehouse. It was only fifty or sixty dollars I think. It's done a lot of miles on a horse.
    Don't know why there's two pictures sorry.
    Nice. You never let on you have wrangled both the velocipede and equine . . .

ebf
    Thanks @7mmwsm, I have an old Lee Enfield canvas bag that might be just the thing for trying that setup

Velocipedes are ok, the equines I am terrified of
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

res
    I have used MTB for a large % of my hunting in NZ over the last 15 or so years. Both for transport and actively hunting.

for transport a single wheeled trailer is king if your going somewhere YOU are capable of taking it as it make carrying a any sort of load much easier than trying to have a pack. If you can't then a take down rifle is king, some bike frames lend them selves well to old army bike sleeve style cary like others above have shown but have seen both damaged rifles and bikes from people doing this of full suspension bikes that ended up using more travel than expected. Air shocks for the win as easy to shane pressure for the extra weight compared to bikes normal use.
    for hunting from the bike(best way to surprise deer imho)some sort of handle bar mount like people use on farm bikes works ok- I found guns with just a hammer to pull back(BLR and TC) to be the best for the fast transition from cary to shooting that bike hunting often needs. All my mtb have either 780 or 800 wide bars so its fairly easy to have something that doesn't stick out to far each side is you don't mind the weight distribution on your bars being funky.
    7mmwsm likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Following with interest now. After a jaunt down the river bed and bike tracks, managing to sneak up on numerous birds. Tossing up between gun over the shoulder, or handle bar holder. The suspension is soft enuf that it wouldn’t shake around, and it’ll be ready in an instant. Much easier to conceal as well. Trailer has a lot of merit to. Got enuf spare parts around to knock something up.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

This thread is making me miss my 6.5 Grendel AR15 which packed down to fit in a day pack.
    ebf likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    ta, might go visit them when we are released from jail
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute