Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Sangyong Korando - Are they ok?

Quote Originally Posted by sig4x4 View Post
    i have a 2.7 diesel sangyong rexton and its awesome ,also have an 80 series 24valve manual landcruiser and the rexton tows better and goes awesome . i think they are a very underrated brand . would rate them way above chinese made of cheese vehicles
    My old man has a Rexton and loves it too. Doesn't have the articulation to be much good off road (might not even have low range? not sure) but for his use as a pretty quiet and comfortable soft roader that tows a solid caravan easily it has done well. Think its had a couple of mechanical niggles to fix but no major problems, he is thinking about replacing it with a newer one.

I had a ssangyong acting work ute that was pretty good took a thrashing. Towed some good size generators . Low range was good. It was new and had factory services. Fuck me you would not want to crash in one.

Great wall, ssangyong, LDV etc, just avoid them. It might claim to have a Mercedes engine, but Mercedes never built it. They sold all the blocks and heads that didn't meet the standards instead of scrapping them with a big warning label notifying the defaults and the course of action to rectify, even went so far as to say "for demo use only".

Lots of the off the grid companies bought them up, and used lots, but also tried to copy and in doing so copied already at fault blocks and heads.

The end game was to reconfigure and reprogram all sorts of strange parameters into knock sensors, crank angle sensors, temperature sensors, manifold pressure and so on to make it look like it was all good.

When they failed, the engine was replaced.

I'd rather have an old Japanese diesel, that will actually get me out of the place im stuck.

source: I trained as a fleet mechanic for a telecoms company in the UK, and we fixed (or tried to) all of that bullshit.

It’s a no from me Ken.
    Mate got a cheap Ssanyong drove nicely very fuel efficient, shat itself at approx 100 000km clutch and some other stuff.
    Looked ugly the whole way.

Edit to add: not a 4wd that you can actual 4wd in
    Last edited by ethos; 02-07-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Why petrol??

Other than that, agree. But either are attractive targets for thieves.
    Why petrol,caus if your truck sitting out side in cold winter for a few months,diesel will start to wax up,gel up at about-14, -15c and will be a bitch to start or not start at all and youl have to change yr fuel filters and diesel.Petrol can handle those cold temperatures.

My old 4.2tdi just turn over 530000km yesterday,only replaced rear main seal.Just purrs along.Easy decision to keep her.
    mimms2 likes this.

northdude
    I'm up to 420000 in my Suzuki and that's low kms for me
    mimms2 likes this.

My 1HZ cruiser is at 380 000km and still not using oil yet.
    Buy a Toyota, if you haven’t got heaps of cash buy a surf with the lowest kms you can it’ll go more places and be more reliable than the ssanyong

My record for arriving at work on a Monday to find towed in Korandos with fucked timing chains is THREE. Utter garbage, don't touch them
    308, Mauser308 and paremata like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Why petrol,caus if your truck sitting out side in cold winter for a few months,diesel will start to wax up,gel up at about-14, -15c and will be a bitch to start or not start at all and youl have to change yr fuel filters and diesel.Petrol can handle those cold temperatures.
    Just add some kero to the tank and its all good
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Just... avoid the v6 and anything auto and anything with a towbar.

In fact, any surf that's been used, probably.
    Good advice. Been down this road. Under powered, soft sagged springs and guzzles juice.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Just add some kero to the tank and its all good
    Thort somebody might say that.lols.

It sold before I got the chance to look at it.

Old 60s or 70s landy would be ok but it'd be outside and would get stolen. The Ssanyong was suitably unattractive that theft wasn't a risk!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Old 60s or 70s landy would be ok but it'd be outside and would get stolen.
    They'd need a trailer to steal it because it would be broken down all the time.
    Tommy likes this.