Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Service and running costs Merc vs Jag.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Pity really as you can by a decent looking walnut and leather 5litre Merc for mid to late teens
    The look good, travel well and by all accounts go like stink
    However, if they break regularly and it cost a fortune then just not worth the hassle
    Might get lucky might not
    Can't afford not.
    Look at the positives. You'll look good and feel comfortable while you're waiting for help to arrive.
    JoshC and 6x47 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Pity really as you can by a decent looking walnut and leather 5litre Merc for mid to late teens
    The look good, travel well and by all accounts go like stink
    However, if they break regularly and it cost a fortune then just not worth the hassle
    Might get lucky might not
    Can't afford not.
    Private or dealer? I've always liked Mercs and the 500's are very cool. Way better looking than a Jag of the same vintage.
    If its a dealer you could haggle on a mechanical warranty?
    We had the same around buying a Subaru. Very mixed reviews. Its been a great car for us but got a mechanical warranty for reassurance.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Same reason KJ I've just no long ago got another three yr warranty on the truck, first one came by negotiation second in August I bought.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I love European cars, I grew up with them. They were also damned reliable too, the "problem" arose for two reasons. When cars started incorporating more electronics in the early to mid 90s, the Japanese had the drop on everyone else. Germans attempted to play catch up but unfortunately their efforts were combined with their insatiable love for building things complicated - more often than not, needlessly so.

German cars in particular, quite unlike their Japanese counterparts, do not tolerate neglect. In true Teutonic fashion, one needs to replace things according to the schedule, otherwise they fail which then sets off a chain of events leading to even larger repair bills. They are cheap here for a reason, nobody wants to buy them because they are comparatively expensive to maintain - especially when neglected.

In summary, if you can source a car with a good service history, are particular about maintenance and - perhaps most importantly - have a fighting budget, they are enjoyable.
    Last edited by Ryan; 20-12-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
    gadgetman and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I love European cars, I grew up with them. They were also damned reliable too, the "problem" arose for two reasons. When cars started incorporating more electronics in the early to mid 90s, the Japanese had the drop on everyone else. Germans attempted to play catch up but unfortunately their efforts were combined with their insatiable love for building things complicated - more often than not, needlessly so.

German cars in particular, quite unlike their Japanese counterparts, do not tolerate neglect. In true Teutonic fashion, one needs to replace things according to the schedule, otherwise they fail which then sets of a chain of events leading to even larger repair bills. They are cheap here for a reason, nobody wants to buy them because they are comparatively expensive to maintain - especially when neglected.

In summary, if you can source a car with a good service history, are particular about maintenance and - perhaps most importantly - have a fighting budget, they are enjoyable.
    A service history does not help electronic failures tho....workmate finally got his wife's Mini (BMW) back from the authorized service agent on Monday....FOUR MONTHS ! without a car to fix an indicator fault....
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I understand, I did explicitly refer to over-complication though. The more things there are to go wrong, the more things will go wrong.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I understand, I did explicitly refer to over-complication though. The more things there are to go wrong, the more things will go wrong.
    Yes.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    A service history does not help electronic failures tho....workmate finally got his wife's Mini (BMW) back from the authorized service agent on Monday....FOUR MONTHS ! without a car to fix an indicator fault....
    Hahahahaha THIS is the reality of owning a Euro.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

service history on euro cars, normally a box full of invoices and its 3 years old, that should be enough to ring alarm bells.

Lexus

Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    service history on euro cars, normally a box full of invoices and its 3 years old, that should be enough to ring alarm bells.
    If it's only 3 years old it should be under warranty for most European marques unless it's reached 100 000km+.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Lexus
    Nope. They are just Toyotas with Euro bills. Went to buy in a wing mirror glass last week and it was $850+gst. Laughed and said to the parts monkey "nah bro, not the wing mirror assembly, just the mirror glass itself"..... Turns out the assembly was $3500+gst and that WAS just the mirror we were talking about. This wasn't a flash Lexus either, a gs300 or some shit, 10 years old (a glorified Camry ffs). It's Toyota cosplaying as BMW, cos they can.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It's Toyota cosplaying as BMW, cos they can.
    Marketing drives a craze.
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I bought a Camry 2.4 for the wife on your Chaps recommendation last year, Damn glad I did by the looks.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Average lifespan of a car in UK is 7 years. These things aren't designed to last more than 10 years.
    Not really true @Tommy what is happening in the UK and I suspect the in other countries is that your encounraged to get a loan and buy new every few years. Only need to drive around to one of the housing estates and see all these new cars parked outside (no garages are built to fit cars in the uk well you can park in them Just but ya can’t open the doors.)
    You see all these new cars and think how can they afford them there on there bones and can hardly afford a house?
    This will cause you the next big financial crash!
    The second reason if your car doesn’t last long ten years is because salt is spread on it the roads over winter. You drive up and down your local beach every day for four months for ten years your cars not going to last ten either
    Tommy likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.