Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 66
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Service and running costs Merc vs Jag.

  1. #46
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Lexus
    Nope. They are just Toyotas with Euro bills. Went to buy in a wing mirror glass last week and it was $850+gst. Laughed and said to the parts monkey "nah bro, not the wing mirror assembly, just the mirror glass itself"..... Turns out the assembly was $3500+gst and that WAS just the mirror we were talking about. This wasn't a flash Lexus either, a gs300 or some shit, 10 years old (a glorified Camry ffs). It's Toyota cosplaying as BMW, cos they can.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  2. #47
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It's Toyota cosplaying as BMW, cos they can.
    Marketing drives a craze.
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.
    "Awareness buys you time and time buys you options."

    - John Correia

  3. #48
    Caretaker jakewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,500
    I bought a Camry 2.4 for the wife on your Chaps recommendation last year, Damn glad I did by the looks.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  4. #49
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Average lifespan of a car in UK is 7 years. These things aren't designed to last more than 10 years.
    Not really true @Tommy what is happening in the UK and I suspect the in other countries is that your encounraged to get a loan and buy new every few years. Only need to drive around to one of the housing estates and see all these new cars parked outside (no garages are built to fit cars in the uk well you can park in them Just but ya canít open the doors.)
    You see all these new cars and think how can they afford them there on there bones and can hardly afford a house?
    This will cause you the next big financial crash!
    The second reason if your car doesnít last long ten years is because salt is spread on it the roads over winter. You drive up and down your local beach every day for four months for ten years your cars not going to last ten either
    Tommy likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along

  5. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    465
    I friend from Nelson is shifting up this way soon and drove his pride and joy up recently and parked it in a shed at my farm - late last week he calls me and asks me to drive it back to my home near Tauranga because he has sold it and needs it back in Nelson for the buyer
    So Sunday, after a lot of stress and head scratching, I managed to get it moving and 50km later I was glad to park it up and hand it over to the next shift driver heading south
    It frightened shit out of me every time I touched the accelerator - what a power house - I was scared a cop would stop me and figure I must have stolen it - the only thing good about it was the indicator stick was on the LHS - same as my Cruiser that was built for the Euro market
    I sent my Son a text and this picture - saying Xmas has come early - he was not impressed - but we had a laugh later
    I figure that if a car hasnít got a big T on the back - best not to own it! - I got my Cruiser new in 2000 and my Camry new in 2003 - only thing that has ever gone wrong with either is the Cruiser needed a new transfer case after about 8 years and Toyota replaced it free - I just had to pay for the install - how many manufacturers would do that????????????

    Name:  20171216_172223.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  509.4 KB

  6. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    2,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Not really true @Tommy what is happening in the UK and I suspect the in other countries is that your encounraged to get a loan and buy new every few years. Only need to drive around to one of the housing estates and see all these new cars parked outside (no garages are built to fit cars in the uk well you can park in them Just but ya can’t open the doors.)
    You see all these new cars and think how can they afford them there on there bones and can hardly afford a house?
    This will cause you the next big financial crash!
    The second reason if your car doesn’t last long ten years is because salt is spread on it the roads over winter. You drive up and down your local beach every day for four months for ten years your cars not going to last ten either
    you will also find allot of euro cars have biodegradable plastic in them such as the dashboard. problem is that we keep cars over 10 years old in nz and it degrades before it hits the landfill

  7. #52
    Member JoshC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southland/Otago
    Posts
    2,739

    Service and running costs Merc vs Jag.

    My family are kind of nutty about cars. My parents and siblings all have or have had late model euro cars, mainly BMW and Audis, mainly v8's or turboed models, and every single one has had what I'd consider serious issues well before one would expect in a car this day and age. Old man had a V8 jag, it burnt out on him for no reason while cruising down the highway! Lol. What I can't understand is they keep buying the f'n things!

    The old man has an HSV Grange with a Wilkinshaw spec's V8 in the shed that he bought as a 'collectable' a few years ago, it comes out every couple months and it's as nice to drive, has just as much grunt as any of their euro cars, but it is actually reliable. Roll it out of the shed for a service or WOF and it flies thru.

    I've only ever had cars that were Subaru's, Toyotas or Fords and never ever had major issues with them. My wife's (actually mine) current car (Ford G6e turbo) is tuned to a comfortable/mild 420-430hp and is a daily driver, that's fuel efficient, reliable, super comfy and will challenge most high spec European and jap cars you see cruising the roads today at a fraction of the cost. It looks like a family car but smokes tyres if you're that way inclined.

    I must say I love the look of some European cars but the cost of owning them scares the shit out of me!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

  8. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    2,201
    Name:  __7beb887a469653237a5b09e1574c7794_width-300.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  12.5 KB

  9. #54
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,349
    @JoshC you need to drive them. There just really nice to drive and most feel great! They feel like there not going to brake.
    Yaer they do but what's wrong with owning something nice if you can afford it!
    Anyway stick with your truck if I threw a carcass in the back of the wife's BMW she'd have me guts for garters give the dog a laugh though
    I'll stick with me L200
    How's the Hunting going?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along

  10. #55
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Nope. They are just Toyotas with Euro bills. Went to buy in a wing mirror glass last week and it was $850+gst. Laughed and said to the parts monkey "nah bro, not the wing mirror assembly, just the mirror glass itself"..... Turns out the assembly was $3500+gst and that WAS just the mirror we were talking about. This wasn't a flash Lexus either, a gs300 or some shit, 10 years old (a glorified Camry ffs). It's Toyota cosplaying as BMW, cos they can.
    I should have guessed. Still do they break down as often?

  11. #56
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I should have guessed. Still do they break down as often?
    They have heaps more shit, which is heaps more shit to go wrong. I forgot to mention the $2500 headlight hahahahahahaha
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  12. #57
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    They have heaps more shit, which is heaps more shit to go wrong.
    You are bang on with that.
    I'm a Land Rover nut, most people love the older Land Rovers, Disco, Series, Range Rover Classic, but wouldn't touch a newer one with a barge pole.
    Basically the more electronics and gadgets, the more things there are to go wrong. Especially if it's relatively new technology.

  13. #58
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    @Beetroot have whittled it down to 2 now. Waited 3 weeks for a fuel pump to arrive for one, which is fucking ridiculous. They are/were (roughly) 1 x 2005, 1 x 2007, 1 x2009, 1 x 2010. I call them Xmas trees cos of all the coloured flashing warning lights on the dash
    All L322s then, I'll tell my brother in law he was right to get the warranty.

    3 weeks is a bit mad for a fuel pump, did you purchase through Land Rover themselves?
    I buy Landrover parts all the time from the UK and usually takes less than a week for them to arrive.

  14. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    294
    everyone is swallowing the gimmick gadgetry pushed by the salesman. YOU HAVE TO HAVE, YOU NEED TO HAVE, and so on and so on.
    All you really need is brakes, steering, seat belts and lights.

    ABS, traction control, stability control, and whatever else you can imagine is perhaps nice, but unnecessary. and if you want to take it a step further.... it is just plain environmentally unfriendly! If people brought cars that were a bit simpler then they would last a lot longer (this does not mean a sacrifice on reasonable comfort, but minus a heap of electronic dorkery)

    Ill prefer to drive without all that bubble wrap safety shit. Even if I did have it, my Hiace would see to it that I am sufficiently crushed into the steering column that deployed the air bag, point blank into my shooting eye.

    Get a simple vehicle that does what is needed.

    This logic applies to all sorts of things, Cell phones, the laptop I'm typing on, etc etc (excluding shooting related hoo dakeys)
    Tommy likes this.
    Use enough gun

  15. #60
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    12,010
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    everyone is swallowing the gimmick gadgetry pushed by the salesman. YOU HAVE TO HAVE, YOU NEED TO HAVE, and so on and so on.
    All you really need is brakes, steering, seat belts and lights.

    ABS, traction control, stability control, and whatever else you can imagine is perhaps nice, but unnecessary. and if you want to take it a step further.... it is just plain environmentally unfriendly! If people brought cars that were a bit simpler then they would last a lot longer (this does not mean a sacrifice on reasonable comfort, but minus a heap of electronic dorkery)

    Ill prefer to drive without all that bubble wrap safety shit. Even if I did have it, my Hiace would see to it that I am sufficiently crushed into the steering column that deployed the air bag, point blank into my shooting eye.

    Get a simple vehicle that does what is needed.

    This logic applies to all sorts of things, Cell phones, the laptop I'm typing on, etc etc (excluding shooting related hoo dakeys)
    Funny you should say that. When we finally found a manual 4x4 Hiace we found two. One had ABS and half the km's. The other had the left mirror sticking out the front with a mirror that let you see across the front. The mirror was more useful. Cannot think of a single occasion in nearly 40 years of driving where ABS would help me. With the extra height you can see trouble coming further off.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Australia freight costs
    By akaroa1 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-05-2017, 08:07 PM
  2. Aerial vs trapping costs
    By ebf in forum Off topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-09-2015, 03:42 PM
  3. 3.4 southern pacific rib 15hp merc
    By Splash in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
  4. Taxidermy costs
    By James sully in forum Taxidermy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 03:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!