Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Speed Cameras

My new truck has a speed limiter as well as cruise control, means you can set it at 50...(sure) and drive round d town and not go above.... Also used when overtaking, don't want a ticket over 120, job done
    Micky Duck likes this.

The Original Striker
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    And people wonder why cops treat everyone like crims.
    Your vehicle, I'd say its up to you to sort out who was driving.
    that is true that is his duty to id the driver or keep the keys stashed. but the speed at which he was ticketed is just plain wrong. ten kms over fair enough. five and it is a joke, nothing short of making money.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    By the way, was the ticket in Palmerston?

I got one there once for 56km/h, 5km/h threshold because it was "in a school zone". I was on SH1, the school is on a side road and from memory it was a Saturday.

And they tell us its not revenue gathering, and wonder why so many people have lost respect for them...
    I got done doing 53 past a school, wankers.
    Use enough gun

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I got done doing 53 past a school, wankers.
    hence see my bottom link

old but still relevant info
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

that is true that is his duty to id the driver or keep the keys stashed. but the speed at which he was ticketed is just plain wrong. ten kms over fair enough. five and it is a joke, nothing short of making money.
    then why have speed limits.
    Or why have stop signs. People roll through them all the time and think that's ok. Its only a slow speed, say 5km/hr through the stop sign, is that wrong. Or is that revenue gathering as well. Or does Stop mean go slowly. Or is the speed limit just an indication of speed.

And as far as 5km goes for a ticket, then i guess you would say its ok to do 60km/hr past a school.

Cause the injury to a person at 60k is far greater than at 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you are doing 60 in a 50 zone regularly you need your nuts removed with a blunt knife,the speed is clearly posted...dont like it??? ride a plurry pushbike....
    cruise control is a wonderful tool...set and forget on open road...I even use it in town.....so easy to do and you dont need to worry you going too fast,touch brakes you slow down,re click and back to 48kms-89kms-98kms depending on zone. but Im biased as I drive for a living and see the results of crap driving all the time.
    60 deserves a ticket for sure, but sometimes it creeps up especially down a hill etc, and we dont all have cruise control.
    Use enough gun

60 deserves a ticket for sure, but sometimes it creeps up especially down a hill etc, and we dont all have cruise control.
    Even with cruise control on, cars will still go over the limit by up to 15km. And will then stay at that speed even though the limit is set at 50.

Yeah but Jim speed isnt the problem, just adds to the end result? Slow speed on the highway adds to the accidents through frustration and bad driving habits, speed cameras add to the consolidated fund! But I'm a grumpy old man with about 3 million safe ks on the clock, and severe road rage for all the dumb bastards on the road, the perfect driver!
    40mm and xtightg like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yeah but Jim speed isnt the problem, just adds to the end result? Slow speed on the highway adds to the accidents through frustration and bad driving habits, speed cameras add to the consolidated fund! But I'm a grumpy old man with about 3 million safe ks on the clock, and severe road rage for all the dumb bastards on the road, the perfect driver!
    I agree with you. Shitloads of crashes are a consequence of frustrated and angry drivers passing or doing something stupid just cause some person (will use that word instead of the word i was thinking of) drives slowly and then speeds up at passing lanes just to slow down at the end.

The slow drivers deserve tickets as much as the fast drivers do. If not more
    40mm and xtightg like this.

for sure it can creep up going down hill....thats what brakes are for isnt it???
    if you are allowed to go no faster than 50 kms..... well you are not allowed to go faster than 50 kms pretty plurry simple really
    crying foul because you get fined because you have broken the law...yes that is correct YOU BROKE THE LAW...is just dumb
    the law is there for a reason,quite a good reason really
    loved the speed camera add on the radio a while back

speed camera daddy
    good girl wouldnt want daddy to get a fine
    why arent we allowed to go fast daddy??
    because we might hurt someone
    who might get hurt daddy???? daddy???/

not 100% right but you get the picture

as for slow drivers...Im limited to 90kms being a heavy vechile....come to a straight or clear bit of road I move left and wave cars past ALL DAY LONG ...so simple to do and keeps frustration levels down.
    gadgetman, 223nut, berg243 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    then why have speed limits.
    Or why have stop signs. People roll through them all the time and think that's ok. Its only a slow speed, say 5km/hr through the stop sign, is that wrong. Or is that revenue gathering as well. Or does Stop mean go slowly. Or is the speed limit just an indication of speed.

And as far as 5km goes for a ticket, then i guess you would say its ok to do 60km/hr past a school.

Cause the injury to a person at 60k is far greater than at 50k.
    I think you got me wrong. I mean that ten over deserves a ticket. but 5 over is a bit unfair.
    my reasoning is the following:

Is it more dangerous for my speed to go up or down a few k's or is it more dangerous to be constantly looking at the instruments in fear of being fined?

driving safely is more to do with paying attention to the road than going a few k's over the limit. (ten is too much for sure)

And most speedo's go up in 5 km/h increments, so that makes it a little harder to judge small speed differences.

I bet the change in tolerance has made no difference to the road toll. Just a few more dollars out of normal peoples pockets.

Might as well chuck this rant in while im at it....

Im keen to see the police hammer people accelerating to make the orange light, (the orange light should be treated as a challenge to test your reaction times) and failing to indicate, and rolling through stop signs (this one I do sometimes, but it is at walking pace and only when obviously clear. I would not feel hard done by if ticketed for it, just pissed) They should hammer those who merg at the very last minute (usually slower than the mean traffic), and those who pull wide right before turning into a left hand drive or road.

Fuckers who speed on road works, spraying gravel all over cars that would not otherwise be on a gravel road.

and especially those wankers who replace their headlight bulbs with extra bright bulbs, or drive with fog lights or spot lights on. I bet a lot of you forum guys do this and half of you probably dont even know how many lights turn on when you hit the switch. So rude.
    Does anyone else find modern cars headlights especially bright/irritating/dazzling?? Someone needs to spray some opaque stuff on all the new cars lights at the port!

And while im at it..... assholes that touch the center line. If those assholes were doing twice the speed limit then I could understand them using all of their lane. BUT THEY ARE NOT DOING TWICE THE LIMIT, THEY ARE EITHER LAZY OR RUDE OR SHIT DRIVERS OR A COMBINATION OF THE THREE.

I have done a shit ton of hooning over the years but ALWAYS use my indicators (they are an indication of your intention to turn, not an indication of what you have already started to do. I put my indicator on before I ease off the throttle because I am considerate to other drivers) Do it any other way and you are lazy.
    Back to the shit ton of hooning... I always use my indicators, never cross or touch the centre line, re adjust my parking so I dont appear incompetant or lazy or inconsiderate.

There is probably more but I am tired.

a ticket for 55 in a 50 zone is in my opinion unfair.
    berg243 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Even with cruise control on, cars will still go over the limit by up to 15km. And will then stay at that speed even though the limit is set at 50.
    I didnt know that. seems a waste of time having cruise then??
    Use enough gun

I agree with you. Shitloads of crashes are a consequence of frustrated and angry drivers passing or doing something stupid just cause some person (will use that word instead of the word i was thinking of) drives slowly and then speeds up at passing lanes just to slow down at the end.

The slow drivers deserve tickets as much as the fast drivers do. If not more
    there is a passing lane near my place that always has slow people do exactly that....
    I get in front of em and button off until everyone else has passed us both.
    Taking one for the team I guess.
    They usually give me shit, ignorant fools.
    gadgetman and xtightg like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    for sure it can creep up going down hill....thats what brakes are for isnt it???
    if you are allowed to go no faster than 50 kms..... well you are not allowed to go faster than 50 kms pretty plurry simple really
    crying foul because you get fined because you have broken the law...yes that is correct YOU BROKE THE LAW...is just dumb
    the law is there for a reason,quite a good reason really
    loved the speed camera add on the radio a while back

speed camera daddy
    good girl wouldnt want daddy to get a fine
    why arent we allowed to go fast daddy??
    because we might hurt someone
    who might get hurt daddy???? daddy???/

not 100% right but you get the picture

as for slow drivers...Im limited to 90kms being a heavy vechile....come to a straight or clear bit of road I move left and wave cars past ALL DAY LONG ...so simple to do and keeps frustration levels down.
    You sound like a considerate driver and I respect that. good man.

I know that the limit is 50 but if it is absolute then why do we not get a ticket for doing 51?
    my point is that there needs to be a tolerance level before a ticket is justifiable, and I think the tolerance should be more than 5 km/h due to the fact that that small speed difference should not be a problem with our modern cars. maybe in a model a it would be an issue.
    Anyway I think we agree that the limit is the limit. Just the tolerance thing.
    Use enough gun