Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By MSL
  • 2 Post By No.3

Thread: Spring lift vs strut spacers

Spring lift vs strut spacers

Going to put some steel rims and more aggressive tyres on my Colorado and I want to level it out while I'm at it. Seems the two options are a spring lift or strut spacers in the front. What are the pros/cons of the two?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Don't know anything about what you are talking about, but I have a flat deck Cruiser with airbags. They are great. Variable to suit your needs.
    They need to be certified though, but I guess altering your springs would too.
    Overkill is still dead.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Don't know anything about what you are talking about, but I have a flat deck Cruiser with airbags. They are great. Variable to suit your needs.
    They need to be certified though, but I guess altering your springs would too.
    You can go up to a 50mm lift with no cert.
    I’d always go for an actual suspension lift over any kind of spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure strut spacers are not wof-able. I put 50mm lift springs into the front of my colorado. Was a bitch of a job to get the springs onto the standard shocks and then get the shocks back into the truck. If I did it again I'd buy a front kit from the likes of trundles etc

Spacers are no go for wof

Cole
    Have a google of broken struts with spacers. Plenty out there. Unsure how it’s different from a lift spring but it must be cos they don’t break.
    I like buying my 4wd stuff of Trundles, they sell pre-assembled struts.

Yep go springs

Go springs but see if you can find leveling springs like 35mm, dont need the extended struts that way and gets rid of that front end sag

I done this on my ranger but went HD to hold the weight of bar and winch.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I wouldn't put aftermarket springs onto a standard strut - they are designed to work together with the factory strut rated for the factory springs rate and compression preload. Get a replacement strut and spring kit, and fit them onto the factory type caps.

My experience of this is you need to be a little careful about the weight/front axle load on your ute vs the spring set you get, but the aftermarket struts are generally a huge improvement on the factory ones for damping and rebound control. I went for the Ironman foam cells on mine after a fair bit of consideration - this was the type with a floating lower spring seat that lifts off the strut but is held in place by the spring tension. This is good, because it allows for tuning by fitting rings between the strut's spring seat locating collar and the spring seat. For the Ranger, a 10mm ring equals a 20mm lift at the hub, and this allows preload tuning on the factory springs in my case and because it's fixed and non-adjustable it doesn't require a cert. For reference, a lot of people bag the Ironman product but used with a compatible spring and in the right application they are fine - my ute is fully factory at the front end but needed it's arse lifted out of the weeds to stop it basing it's bump stops to bits which resulted in the front end collapsing under the weight transfer.
    longrange308 and dannyb like this.