Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jump starter pack recommendation

Jump starter pack recommendation

I need/want a jump starter pack and have been looking at this one as an option - needs to be able to start a 4.2L 1HZ diesel.
    https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/s...ty/631668.html

Have just carried/used a spare battery up to now but that has now died and so looking for a "better" replacement. So interested in yes/no/alternative options based on actual experience.

Cheers

I'd go for a li-ion type over the older tech lead-acid versions. They work ok, but are more prone to leaking and don't like getting banged about as well as being a lot more bulky and a damn sight heavier.

The PowerAll type was one of the first out, I have a couple of those (one in the wife's car and one in the ute) and they are pretty bloody good. Will start a 3.5L diesel easily - from a 600A rated unit. You'd want the slightly larger unit for reliability with the 4.2L although I've started a couple with the unit I have so they do the job. Benefit is any way up storage, runs a cellphone etc and pick it up with one finger vs a fist...
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    I'd go for a li-ion type over the older tech lead-acid versions. They work ok, but are more prone to leaking and don't like getting banged about as well as being a lot more bulky and a damn sight heavier.

The PowerAll type was one of the first out, I have a couple of those (one in the wife's car and one in the ute) and they are pretty bloody good. Will start a 3.5L diesel easily - from a 600A rated unit. You'd want the slightly larger unit for reliability with the 4.2L although I've started a couple with the unit I have so they do the job. Benefit is any way up storage, runs a cellphone etc and pick it up with one finger vs a fist...

OK well the Li-on ones must have a got a bit better since I last had a look a few years ago so I will check them out, cheers. This one here here could work and seems to get pretty decent reviews
    https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/n...mp/648014.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    OK well the Li-on ones must have a got a bit better since I last had a look a few years ago so I will check them out, cheers. This one here here could work and seems to get pretty decent reviews
    https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/n...mp/648014.html
    I have this unit, no issues waking up my 3L diesel (1kz-te) when the battery has taken a dive, had it over a year now.
    southernman and Shamus_ like this.

The contact clips that come with these Li-ion units are marginal at best, it pays to make sure they have good contact to get the best out of them. The heavier lead-acid units seem to not have this issue...

I have a powerall 16000mAh lithium one supposed to start a 7L petrol or 5L diesel. I haven't had great success with it. It seems to only work on diesels if there is still some life in the battery. if it is dead flat it will not start a 3L Diesel. I took the first one back and got it replaced and the 2nd is not any better. I now keep it in the boat. I then bought a lead acid one from super-cheap auto it was cheaper and bigger and heavier but it seems to do a better job. My only gripe is the clamps are poorly crimped onto the cables. If I was to buy another I'd be looking for a good quality lead-acid one.

I've also got a 2000 amp Noco HD booster, has worked at starting my isuzu bighorn when i had low battery, slow cranking, got 5-6 starts before need a charge, so i am pretty happy,
    I use a 3000 amp model starting earthmoving equipment, enough to power electronics for the air starters.
    we use lead acid 12/24 volt boosters at work.

I've got a powerall, can't recall rating off the top of my head. Have jumped numerous 3l diesel utes with it without fuss. If battery is really dead you need to make sure you use the override feature on the jump pack or its smarts will stop it from working.
    rugerman likes this.

I've got a powerall, can't recall rating off the top of my head. Have jumped numerous 3l diesel utes with it without fuss. If battery is really dead you need to make sure you use the override feature on the jump pack or its smarts will stop it from working.
    If by the override you mean the button on the little box on the lead? then yes I have used that. I don't know how long they are supposed to hold charge for after a charging but mine seems to drop to 3 bars pretty quick.

I just use a bigger diesel battery and attach the clips to the end of battery wires
    one end is a fused on terminal that goes on the battery the other is a flat with a hole in it, that end gets the clamp the trick bieng as few rinkydink joins as possible

basically anything works but they end up breaking at the joins and letting you down when you need them
    I dont bother with the boxed up toy versions I have tried a few and they suck

Portability wins though. The early powerall ones seemed to be among the most reliable, I tend to use mine only when other people need a jump now. Buying newer vehicles and replacing the battery as reqd. helps...
    Last edited by No.3; 24-07-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I just use a bigger diesel battery and attach the clips to the end of battery wires
    one end is a fused on terminal that goes on the battery the other is a flat with a hole in it, that end gets the clamp the trick bieng as few rinkydink joins as possible

basically anything works but they end up breaking at the joins and letting you down when you need them
    I dont bother with the boxed up toy versions I have tried a few and they suck
    That's what I have been using but my "spare" battery is now toast so was looking at alternatives before just buying another battery. Got to say I am dubious about even the bigger Li-on ones being able to start a big diesel with a dead flat battery ...

I’ve got the 2500a version of this for the boat. Haven’t had to use yet but has a few other handy features and a handy powerbank

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNmJbJg
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    That's what I have been using but my "spare" battery is now toast so was looking at alternatives before just buying another battery. Got to say I am dubious about even the bigger Li-on ones being able to start a big diesel with a dead flat battery ...
    If your battery is dead flat ie close to zero volts the Li-on will not start the engine. (Don't know about the lead acid ones.) This has been proven. What they rely on is some charge remaining.
    eg you cannot disconnect the battery and connect the Li-on unit in its place.

Having said that I swear by my Powerall. Have started my own vehicle, my small diesel tractor, my ride on (not really a test) with my no probs. Have actually started more other people's vehicles than my own and that includes older 3l diesel utes.

However, if your battery is getting tired there is no substitute for replacing with a new one. Buy a jump start unit later on as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If your battery is dead flat ie close to zero volts the Li-on will not start the engine. (Don't know about the lead acid ones.) This has been proven. What they rely on is some charge remaining.
    eg you cannot disconnect the battery and connect the Li-on unit in its place.

Having said that I swear by my Powerall. Have started my own vehicle, my small diesel tractor, my ride on (not really a test) with my no probs. Have actually started more other people's vehicles than my own and that includes older 3l diesel utes.

However, if your battery is getting tired there is no substitute for replacing with a new one. Buy a jump start unit later on as a back up.
    Just to be 100% clear this is not about my battery being tired - I have known good batteries in both 4WDs I own. This about being able to start a vehicle if you have a flat battery - because as you know shit happens ...