Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Stabicraft hull design history

Stabicraft hull design history

I have a wee 389 and am wondering if the newer models changed thier hull design dramatically since? Any one know?

The reason being is I'm dreaming of a new boat and wondering if it's just worth keeping the current one and playing with it or trading up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stabicraft hull design history

And that’s a good question, one that we pondered then acted upon. I had the 509 which to be honest was a wet, hard riding prick of a boat - we still rated it very highly for how we used it
    The Wide Fisher (newer and betterer) model is better imo, I did try them out.
    We actually wanted a little bigger and a softer riding boat mainly for my old mans benefit.

Pays to just try them out as they vary quite widely.

A new Senator costed me less and I ended up with more boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stingray, 25/08IMP and 57jl like this.
    Dan M

I've just recently got a 759 supercab which was factory extended when it was built but still runs the same stickers even thou its got an extra couple of meters on it. You do ask an interesting question thou.....Stabi's website must be one of the worst iv'e seen when it comes to finding out information on there boats and any design upgrades they have done through the years.
    I believe the newer boats now have Strikes or what ever they are called added which pushes the water away before they hit the pontoon making for a softer ride. I wouldn't say mine is a hard riding boat but can be very wet.....Iv'e been in some 609 hard tops and thought they were f#@kin terrible. Also the other thing to keep in mind is where the helm is positioned (forward or mid). But basically the only thing I know they have changed is The strikes have been added......looks like they just grabbed some 40x40 angel iron and tacked it to the side.

I too have a wet, hard riding 509. My mates Profile leaves it for dead.

The arrow pontoon (tapered pontoon) is sopost to ride a lot better? I do know someone with a new 5m with the big fold up walk threw windscreen and he recons it rides great but Im pretty sure it is his first boat so would say that haveing just dropped 45-50k on it.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Aqualite, Osprey, DNA and a number of others improved the design with the front pontoons and normally deeper V's or dead rise 20-25 deg. Nothing wrong with Stabis and they are finished well, the numbers sold prove that Think the others above and a number of others also Senator, Profile, Kiwicraft made some design improvements on hull, think the later Stabis started coming out with deeper V's though, it all depends on what price you paying, size value for $ etc as some of above names you might pay quite a bit more.
    Beaker likes this.

MB
    I've heard it said that stability vs smooth riding is a trade-off. I'm no expert, but based on the many boats I've been on over the years, I'm inclined to agree.
    tetawa, Beaker, Danny and 2 others like this.

I've had a couple of Senators now and the ride is really good
    Had a Mcklay before then now that's a hard riding boat.
    The Senator is an awesome boat

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    57jl likes this.

Deeper V /deadrise will use more fuel but cut through chop better.
    Rayglass, Haines, Surtees and many RIBs are normally getting up around that 23-25 degrees, some RIBs up to 30.
    Senator/Profiles may even incorporate some variable deadrise in their hulls, not sure? haven't had much to do with them.
    They look good going through the water from what I've seen though!
    25/08IMP likes this.

I have access to a 509 early model it doesn't like short chop and the later version which is down the road has a deeper V and is being pushed by a 100 yummy verse our 60.

Certainly they have changed there designs but a lot of the thump thump is driver rather than boat ...trim / speed and reading the sea will see a lot more comfortable ride along with getting your weight right throgh out the boat . Love the sabitly and room. Will add a 100 HPto ours in the next few years , I belive this will get the boat out of the hole when running into the shit, as it wallows and lacks umf with a load on presently.
    screamO likes this.

Thanks. Have done a bit of digging and looks like deadrise is the same so don't expect much difference there. I think there are some pontoon changes but not sure how much difference it would make in a tiny boat.

For the record I'm happy enough with the stabicraft, I've not much experience in different boats but it gets me it to the fish and back so far so I'm happy. Very stable obviously.

Beaker and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Thanks. Have done a bit of digging and looks like deadrise is the same so don't expect much difference there. I think there are some pontoon changes but not sure how much difference it would make in a tiny boat.

For the record I'm happy enough with the stabicraft, I've not much experience in different boats but it gets me it to the fish and back so far so I'm happy. Very stable obviously.

sound like you have the perfect boat then As long as they are above the waterline and the motor runs.....
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I have a wee 389 and am wondering if the newer models changed thier hull design dramatically since? Any one know?

The reason being is I'm dreaming of a new boat and wondering if it's just worth keeping the current one and playing with it or trading up.

Come up to Auckland and you can come out on my FC620ht . I thought I wanted a osprey(pontoon ) ,but the FC is way better.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Come up to Auckland and you can come out on my FC620ht . I thought I wanted a osprey(pontoon ) ,but the FC is way better.
    What do you rate the pros and cons of each? Not many FC boats down here.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have a fc430. Lots of fishing room nice and stable. It can be a wet ride though. ��
    Beaker likes this.