Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Blaser r93
  • 1 Post By scotty

Thread: Suzuki 2008(ish) Grand Vitara Diesel

Suzuki 2008(ish) Grand Vitara Diesel

Hey team.

Does anyone own/have experience with the above? Anything in particular I should look out for?
    I’m looking to get one as a daily/hunt/adventure vehicle. Will be towing a boat over summer, and getting firewood over winter. Light off road and getting into hunting blocks.

Any particular reason I should avoid one? They look like a nice wee truck that seem to be reasonably capable off-road.

Cheers!

Good little vehicle, door hinges and body internals fall apart. Be gentle on suspension and steering components - my experience is the petrol version but the diesel I think was used in several other vehicles and has a somewhat reasonable rep.

2008 will be full time 4wd with a hi/lo selector deisel engine i think they use a peugot motor ..... they are a unibody vehicle (dont have a full chassis)

If it the Peugeot engine, make sure the cam belt is changed regularly when it is due.

Got a 08 2.4 petrol 4dr its got more front cab room than a ranger and it goes well on road . Going to put 50 plus springs in as a bit low for ruts and rocks . Mate got a 01 with puget deisel in it bitch to work on as motor is north south when it was designed east west for service and not many parts .

MSL
    Folks had the ‘06 diesel. Was an ok vehicle. Got stuck at the boat ramp one day as it wouldn’t shift from low to high range for the drive home. The 1.9L is nowhere near as efficient as it should be and the manual requires a bit of finesse to pull away smoothly, as 1st gear is a bit tall. It blew a turbo, and was an unreliable dog after ‘repair’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All those grey nomads towing them around behind motorhomes love them.
    RV1 likes this.

I'm a Suzuki dealer, sold them new. Its Renault F9Q Engine. they use to give the Warranty account a hiding! Parts are very expensive as they are European and go through a few hands before they get to you.
    they drive well and have good power but I wouldn't, If you do - get it scanned at a Suzuki dealer and check fault codes and history.
    mudgripz likes this.

Which petrol motor would you recommend @Blaser r93 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaser r93 View Post
    I'm a Suzuki dealer, sold them new. Its Renault F9Q Engine. they use to give the Warranty account a hiding! Parts are very expensive as they are European and go through a few hands before they get to you.
    they drive well and have good power but I wouldn't, If you do - get it scanned at a Suzuki dealer and check fault codes and history.
    Sweet that’s the answer I was looking for thanks mate! What do you know about the petrol versions? Is there one you would recommend over the others?

I've got one with the 3.2 petrol. Surprisingly good on gas, plenty of grunt and surprisingly capable off road. Decent entry and exit angles with a small lift.

Tows the boat well good.

Check around window, door and sunroof seals as common spots for rust

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    What do you know about the petrol versions? Is there one you would recommend over the others?
    the wife has a 2015 2.4l petrol one cant fault it we opted for a 2wd drive one (didnt need another 4wd) before they developed the 2.4 they were running a 2.0l full time 4wd which were a little underpowered and hungry gutted i have a 1998 2.0l manual one which is 4wd on demand 360ks on the clock the gearbox is a bit noisey but other than maintenance all i have done is the waterpump , the cv's the rear shocks and i ripped out the catalytic converter cos it shit itself not too bad over 20 years..... will never sell it
    RV1 likes this.