Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thinking about a change - Safari or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Gimp, how many Patrols you see in exploration in Aussie? Iv had two. Both were crumbling. They are not as tough as Cruisers. They are good trucks though, but Gadgetman needs silenced once and for all.

You do not see living Patrols with >300,000ks of hard four wheel driving under their belt. Cruisers that have done it are common. People rent them to people like Gimp.
    Several, one is at about 450 000km, and they get there without the engine rebuilds that the Cruisers of the same era are renowned for. And the diffs are hugely stronger in the Nissan. If you want to find out what a tough truck is then check out the comp trucks; most of them are Safari/Patrols though admittedly most comp vehicles have a couple of modifications. The main difference between the Safaris and Patrols is the electrical side with the Safari being NATO spec'd for 24V.

If you think the non intercooled 2.7 are sluggish then a non turbod Safari will have you replacing the clock with a calendar. The Subaru turbo is a common one for a power improvement from the TD42.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Whatever VC.

And I own a crumpy machine. Correction, have owned several, but crusier wins every time.
    Hence why i own one. Still miss my crumpy wagon tho.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Get an outback and a flash new rifle the only thing that stops my outback is ground clearance.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Lada Cossak absolutely indestructible and goes any where with the short wheel base. Had one for my first security vehicle for farm work, quad with a roof on. Tried to kill it but couldn't. Gave it away for a bottle of whiskey in the end, just so the Cocky could park it around the farm with the security signage on. What about the Prados, comfy to drive, high off the ground and nice on the highway. I have a 2002 one for the family packer and it tows the boat beautifully. More economical than my Hilux.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Don't buy a Nissan.

People that own Nissans are strange.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Several, one is at about 450 000km,
    Where?? For all the mine sites, construction sites and pipelines I've worked on there a nissan on the job would be like hens teeth.

SiB
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Cheers fullas - had heard about rusty floor issues with earlier Terranos, know if its a problem with the later ones too? Wanting the gruntier intercooled 2.7 (early ones be too gutless for me I think, 3.2 only auto, 3.0 only auto and big trouble) means I'd be looking post-96 if I go that way.
    I have a 4.2 TD Cruiser - auto, which I why I picked up on your question. I installed an oil cooler (as recommneded by my mechanic) and will never go back to manual. I tow some big loads, have dome some hard off-road stuff - and the auto transmission is brilliant. You just have to avoid cooking them, and the cooler certainly sorts that.
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

Autos are good off road, smooth power, if you have plenty of grunt. If you're gutless and run an auto they suck.. The big trucks have decent engine braking too in an auto box. I still prefer my manual box though.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Don't buy a Nissan.

People that own Nissans are strange.
    Aww shucks JoshC, thanks, i own a Nissan......X-Trail
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hehe
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Decide how much space you need inside then make the list of suitable wagons.
    There is suprisingly little space in a patrol (sort of a Tardis in reverse).
    Would consider a 3lt diesel surf, or the old shape kia sportage, they were always better than the vitaras etc.

Everyone reads 4wd magazines and BUT COMPETITION TRUCKS ARE

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Decide how much space you need inside then make the list of suitable wagons.
    There is suprisingly little space in a patrol (sort of a Tardis in reverse).
    Would consider a 3lt diesel surf, or the old shape kia sportage, they were always better than the vitaras etc.
    I thought my mates old SWB Safari had pretty good space for a SWB truck actually, would be big enough for my use. Not a heap of back seat legroom, but not really any worse than a doublecab Hilux.

Will keep an eye out for decent 3.0 surfs too, heard about head/overheating issues but most are probably from lack of maintenance, doesn't seem a standard design fault like the 2.4. Think thats the first positive thing I've ever heard about a Kia Sportage, don't think I could bring myself to consider one of those.

SiB
    Surf is good - I had the 2.4 head-gasket esperience - but apart from that, was surprisingly good off-road even with coils. was very comfy on-road too. I understand the head prob was only the 2.4, not the 3l version. Got to be turbo'd though.

early Prados had landcruiser body on surf running gear or something. They seem to be popular club trucks still I see.
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

if you can get a KZN185 (3rd gen surf) for 10k you will be set, intercooled if you can. although the intercoolers from the 3rd gens can be rangi'ed onto the older ones with no issues. surfs generally have better offroad performance over terranos but a less reliable engine (if not maintained)

for a surf, look for a 3L (2.8D) or 1KZ-TE (3.0l TD) and avoid the 2LT-TE engine (2.4T) automatics are not bad on them. manuals will need a rebuild eventually. as mentioned above, go for a 3rd gen if it is intercooled.

with terranos look under the rear seats, as thats the killer rust area. TD27 and QD32 engines are both damn near bullet proof, just let down by glass gearboxes, although i cant remember what ones break if you fart near them.