Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Tilt and Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    @planenutz I leave the boat in a shed at my bach, I usually leave it just off vertical, unsupported. On average Im there twice a month, in two weeks it will lower approx 20mm, but it continues if left until the skeg has contacted the floor and pre loaded. The repair tech, about 20 yrs old, says Evinrude allow for movement down, but couldnt tell me how much and said he couldnt fault, had it sitting 3 days. I said, if its hydraulic, it should lock and not move, he said that was incorrect. I told him I was a retired Fitter and it must be new thinking with hydraulics, but if it was pneumatic I could understand. I think he is just a kid with no experience.
    To have the engine serviced, as a matter of interest, being the first time from new, about 5 hours on the clock, $440.00 + gst labour plus a few parts and some grease, plus a computer read out on performance. Well first and lst time, theres SFA to do servicing a new outboard?
    Unless this is something with their newer motors mine that has a good old thrashing doesn't do it, had a fairly newish 90 Etec on another boat years ago which I don't recall it doing that, but it may have?

Suggest maybe going on the web, if it is an issue with them guaranteed some yank will be bitch'n about it.......there will also be a several with dumb fixes, and one with correct fix.
    Maca49, Micky Duck and planenutz like this.

Just a thought, this motor has an auto trim on it. Take off out of the hole and don’t touch the trim and it will automatically trim the boat for speed and conditions. You can take over anytime you want, great for skiing
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I towed it back from Taupo, because of two warranty issues. One the tilt and two the hydraulic steering, which they removed to fit the new motor. They didn’t bleed it correctly an if you pushed the motor right and left, the rod moved in the cylinder. He had a go at that, but couldn’t improve it. He actually did, but think his missed putting the sleeve back in the steering arm and the bolt now slops around. Like many tradesmen, it better to do it yourself and will in the future, as I did with my old outboard for twenty years. I’ll talk to the business owner on Monday.
    Talk to the owner of the business/franchise?
    As an X business owner you certainly know how it works.

Give them a chance to make good.

And if not then.....
    Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I agree with Mauser - that first service cost isn't excessive. My Yammy 200 cost a liitle bit more than that (~$550) for the service at 20 hours TSN. The service at 100 hours was about $700 and I watched the guy do the work so I know he did everything. Once its out of warranty I'll be doing it myself. Hell, if I can service a whole helicopter I can surely service an outboard.

Sounds like you have a great setup Maca. Well done. My boat has to sit on the lawn unfortunately.
    Maca49 likes this.

@Mauser308 sums it up IMO. Definitely store in the fully vertical position if possible , we were living in Arnhem Land on the coast on & off for 12 years, the local community traditional land included a island chain off the coast .They had 14 community owned Yamaha 150's & about the same 25-40's for their tinnies. Yamaha would fly in their top technicians from Oz HO & use it as a field training work shop for their Mech's after having had been caught out with bad service work under warranty before (community was cut off by road during Wet season & only small charter plane access or once a month Barge for supply) . These motors did a lot of hard yards in the humid tropics & long trips along the remote coast line ,from memory they were turned over under contract every 2 yrs or from memory l think it was 2000hrs , but a lot of that was because the heat & humidity played hell with the electrics. We ran a ex community 150 l was given by my "uncle" on my dive boat & the tech always swore by dosing up & vertical storage when in storage once the cyclone season & trade winds hit ,so l have always done the same using Saltaway.
    Maca49, Mauser308 and Micky Duck like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Think Mercury are on top of fully marinising their motors for corrosion was told a few days ago.

Planenutz has a good point where the first place technician should be looking at that relief v/v. Think most outboards have them and think that's how you bleed system on some as well by lowering down with cracked then tighten up.

On the brightside it's probably not much if it's still functioning fine, just annoying when new. Boat places so busy at the moment selling stock they don't even have yet service may have dropped off.

Good outboard mechanics do seem like diamonds though, everyone always bitch'n looking for a new one! ha ha

They should have good back up though on specific problems like that they can go back to manufacturer for advice where to look.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Talk to the owner of the business/franchise?
    As an X business owner you certainly know how it works.

Give them a chance to make good.

And if not then.....
    Yep I’ll ring him on Monday, he’s a pretty good mechanic, I think the hired hand was the problem
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks for all the answers, I guess we are all on the same page, hydraulics lock
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hydraulics lock, Yes But !!!!!,
    Seals can leak, Does not take much damage to a rod or cylinder bore to cause seal issues.
    Most control valves are composed of sliding metal spools with no soft seals, they are a tight fit but have to have enough clearance to allow them to be removed and different logic spools fitted.hence they will have some leakage.
    Most cylinders carrying a load subject to gravity will have some form of lock valve fitted. These are effectively zero leakage. (Think Crane, or EWP, but not a single acting truck tipper)
    ZQ

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Think Mercury are on top of fully marinising their motors for corrosion was told a few days ago.

Planenutz has a good point where the first place technician should be looking at that relief v/v. Think most outboards have them and think that's how you bleed system on some as well by lowering down with cracked then tighten up.

On the brightside it's probably not much if it's still functioning fine, just annoying when new. Boat places so busy at the moment selling stock they don't even have yet service may have dropped off.

Good outboard mechanics do seem like diamonds though, everyone always bitch'n looking for a new one! ha ha

They should have good back up though on specific problems like that they can go back to manufacturer for advice where to look.
    I guess my one is not the only one that has this problem, I couldn’t be that unlucky? So you would think Evinrude would have an alert and a how to look/fix.
    Although I once owned a VW golf with very low ks, that the auto had trouble deciding which gear it should be in. Took a week of talking to Germany to get a result and then about a 4 k repair. It was covered by warranty.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    im not really knocking evinrude/johnson outboards . I had a johnson 70 , white model about mid 90's I think . I saw it in Morleys in bits in fish tubs and wound up swapping it for a rifle I couldnt get to shoot straight . Apparently this thing kept blowing up and Morleys had given up on it . I resleeved the block and got it going but it munched two pistons ( two seperate occasions )......both up at Duville. Turned out someone had planed a couple of mm off the head and the comp ratio was thru the roof and anything other than fresh 96 and it would melt the piston ajacent to the ex port ( I even ran it on av gas for a bit ) . After I twigged to the problem ( which none of the mechanics in Nelson did ....quite chuffed about that )...... well the Mrs wasnt going anywhere near the boat with that motor on it so I put an extra head gasket in it and took it to Blenheim to trade it ( everyone in Nelson knew about it ) on a new 90hp yam ( excelent motor ) but it wasnt near as fast as the jonny ( pre extra gasket ).
    I have just bought a Marlborough Dart with a honda motor ( 1st 4 stroke main motor for me ) and just bought a new 6hp 4 stroke Suzuki aux so am itching to get out fishing ( get the hint Berg ) just waiting for the aux bracket and some braid line .
    I’ve only ever own Johnson’s or Evinrudes, so 6 or seven over my boating life, never had any problems really, all the early yammeys were Johnson copies, parts virtually interchangeable, I think paint colour and name were the major differences. I wanted a 4 stroke this time, but weight and poor performance is still a bit of problem for me, not to mention the dollars. This motor was 13k + gst (runout)over yammy at 23 k. I like this motor, performance is awesome for skiing.
    And guess what, today I put a bit of tension on the leg and it’s moved 7 mms in about 2 hours, so tomorrow I’ll check it again and go see the man. I never thought of giving it a little help, so it got a problem
    veitnamcam and jackson21 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@Maca49 yep well you had better keep on liking it ,l was talking to a mate who is a dive charter op in Oz last night & Yammie announced it is not supplying any larger new motors to anything but new boat buy's/builds packages , for the foreseeable future due to component shortage ,so will be interesting to see how many follow .The Oz pro boat builders are pushing out new inboard designs to future proof themselves ,hate to think what new prices will be once they come back on line.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Maca49 yep well you had better keep on liking it ,l was talking to a mate who is a dive charter op in Oz last night & Yammie announced it is not supplying any larger new motors to anything but new boat buy's/builds packages , for the foreseeable future due to component shortage ,so will be interesting to see how many follow .The Oz pro boat builders are pushing out new inboard designs to future proof themselves ,hate to think what new prices will be once they come back on line.
    Yes I read that, going to be like my old Ute, now a money making investment hahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I’ve only ever own Johnson’s or Evinrudes, so 6 or seven over my boating life, never had any problems really, all the early yammeys were Johnson copies, parts virtually interchangeable, I think paint colour and name were the major differences. I wanted a 4 stroke this time, but weight and poor performance is still a bit of problem for me, not to mention the dollars. This motor was 13k + gst (runout)over yammy at 23 k. I like this motor, performance is awesome for skiing.
    And guess what, today I put a bit of tension on the leg and it’s moved 7 mms in about 2 hours, so tomorrow I’ll check it again and go see the man. I never thought of giving it a little help, so it got a problem
    Yeah it's a bit of a shame Evinrude have got out of it as it's different technology that does offer something else.

What I was told is Mercury and Yamaha are just so dominant in marketplace now they got sqeezed out. I've had most brands over the years as what tends to be on the back, 4's & 2's. Find the responsiveness of the 2's are good for water skiing.

Years ago had this big 250 Yamaha 4 stroke behind a Rayglass, used to be big uncomfortable delay after signal then it would either pop you or pull your arms off, 2 stroke more responsive. Maybe the new 4 strokes are better?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    That's not the engine, that's either the throttle-by-wire setup or something out of whack in the engine's ECU. Not right tho. And a prick when it's like that as you have no idea what you get so you end up being gentle then when you roll up on the throttle the thing drags it's arse like a cat with a dirty butt.
    Before fly-by wire existed or was common around 10-15 years ago. Rayglass 2300 weight 3.5 ton, was more probably the problem getting that thing moving. Found jetski was the one, can get in nice and shallow where the flat water is.
    Maca49 likes this.