Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Toyota Hilux Control Arms and Rim Offset

Toyota Hilux Control Arms and Rim Offset

Gidday everyone, couple questions regarding my 2022 Toyota Hilux SR5.

Firstly, the truck is lifted with an ARB OME suspension upgrade/lift. I was of the general understanding at the time of doing the mods that you don’t need to worry about the control arms. I’m 50,000km deep since the lift and i’m having issues managing the front tyres wearing badly on the outer edges. I’m very much on top of my maintenance with wheel rotations, wheel alignments and tyre pressures. I’m aware the lift has probably limited some adjustment in the wheel alignment department. Has anyone else experienced this and gone down the path of upgraded control arms to sort it?

Secondly, does anyone know what offset the factory SR5 rims are? I wouldn’t mind getting a touch more width from its stance on the road. I like the stock rims but they are pretty narrow in the wheel track and the only real cost effective option is steelies but just wondering what offset to look at. Only after another 30mm max further out each side I think, just to put the outer edge of the tyre in line with the outside of the guard.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MSL
    My workmate and I both had lifted hilux’s, 2013 & 2014. Neither of us bothered with replacing control arms. While I didn’t really notice much in the way of uneven wear, there was very apparent toe in which probably wasn’t great for handling. The same workmate has changed to a 2023 hilux with 2” lift, and this time did the upper control arms, looks way better, and will likely handle better and wear the tread evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've got same year and ome 2inch lift with 350000k and no issues on bfgs km3s all fitted when bought new at South Canterbury Toyota.
    You could give them a call and ask for Jimmy in tyres he would know.
    Micky Duck likes this.

You need to work out how much you need to gain in terms of adjustment as just replacing the control arms might not 'fix' the issues without making new ones. I'm not sure with the new model lux as I haven't had the pleasure of cranking on one but I've used offset bushes with other models and that has provided enough adjustment to correct everything back to factory spec or near enough.

If the bushes aren't an option there is a possibility that you can go to a lighter coil with a spacer under it for slightly less lift and gain enough to be able to get everything into factory specs for alignment, an example of the Ranger PX series is the factory coil spring with a 10mm spacer under it (effectively increasing the preload on the spring) give a 20mm lift at the wheel (2:1 ratio on the control arm movement vs shock travel). Aftermarket springs maxed everything out for a more than 50mm lift, too much).

Find a decent alignment shop there is a heap of travel on bottom arms for adjustment
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just curious, do you guys need to get these lifted vehicles certified? And what's it do to your insurance?
    I've got a flat deck Cruiser with airbags and a hoist. All certified, but the insurance company it's through are treating me like boy racer.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Just curious, do you guys need to get these lifted vehicles certified? And what's it do to your insurance?
    I've got a flat deck Cruiser with airbags and a hoist. All certified, but the insurance company it's through are treating me like boy racer.
    Mine is lifted but stays just out of cert requirements. Insurance company initially wanted it certified to prove it was safe/legal (apparently a current WOF wasn't enough), they agreed to cover to agreed value in the end but no accessories covered. So winch, lockers, roof cage, bar work, side steps etc 12 Volt fridge, Solar panel, uhf radio, recovery gear etc all covered by contents insurance, all listed and valued) 4wd rims, tyres not included in valuation either.

To pump out the offset, �� circular spacer plates areo available in both Toyota and Ford(different PCD)stud pattern in 10mm increments.Fitted between hubs and rims.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    To pump out the offset, �� circular spacer plates areo available in both Toyota and Ford(different PCD)stud pattern in 10mm increments.Fitted between hubs and rims.
    Legal or would they have to be removed for WOF?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Legal or would they have to be removed for WOF?
    allowed 20mm from quick skim reading, might have to be certified spacers

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/media-items...r_Magazine.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    My workmate and I both had lifted hilux’s, 2013 & 2014. Neither of us bothered with replacing control arms. While I didn’t really notice much in the way of uneven wear, there was very apparent toe in which probably wasn’t great for handling. The same workmate has changed to a 2023 hilux with 2” lift, and this time did the upper control arms, looks way better, and will likely handle better and wear the tread evenly.

What size tires is your mate running on the 2023 with the lift?
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

MSL
    265/70/17, 32”

Dreamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Gidday everyone, couple questions regarding my 2022 Toyota Hilux SR5.

Firstly, the truck is lifted with an ARB OME suspension upgrade/lift. I was of the general understanding at the time of doing the mods that you don’t need to worry about the control arms. I’m 50,000km deep since the lift and i’m having issues managing the front tyres wearing badly on the outer edges. I’m very much on top of my maintenance with wheel rotations, wheel alignments and tyre pressures. I’m aware the lift has probably limited some adjustment in the wheel alignment department. Has anyone else experienced this and gone down the path of upgraded control arms to sort it?

Secondly, does anyone know what offset the factory SR5 rims are? I wouldn’t mind getting a touch more width from its stance on the road. I like the stock rims but they are pretty narrow in the wheel track and the only real cost effective option is steelies but just wondering what offset to look at. Only after another 30mm max further out each side I think, just to put the outer edge of the tyre in line with the outside of the guard.

Cheers
    Pretty sure standard are +30 offset

I have similar set up (2 inch lift and identical tyres) and steel rims at 0 offset and just fit in the guard to get WOF. No issues with control arms etc - just got them pushed forward with wheel alignment to stop the slight rubbing on lock.
    stagstalker likes this.

Thanks that's the info I needed as I have them rub on full lock with std lift.

Your alignment place may be setting it to factory specs that may not take into account the lift and tire combo properly. See if they can dial in more camber on the bolts of the lower arms. Try stay away from upper control arms if you can, the cert process in my eyes is only worth it if you've got a big bunch of mods.

Stock rim offset will be +30 or +25. You can run the gauntlet with spacers however they do need to be carted and bolted to the hub.
    stagstalker likes this.