Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Toyota Prado 1996 (ish)

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Looking for a late 90's Prado and this has been big help!
    Tuckerbox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    i have a 1996 prado tx 3.4 petrol that is selectable 4x4 it does love petrol thou would get diesel if i could. picked it up for 12k with 165km
    You sure it's selectable 4x4 mucko? I have the same model although a 98. I didn't realise it was fulltime 4x4 untill I tried to do a paddock hack and nearly rolled it lol. Going into 4x4 locks the back diff I believe, diff lock works well in mine I get quite far on aggressive a.ts and would do much better on m.ts. I have the 3.4 petty aswell and you'd be amazed the fuel economy if you keep it below 90kms really stretches a tank out. I get 500-550 driving normally I get 600-700 driving like a bitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    You sure it's selectable 4x4 mucko? I have the same model although a 98. I didn't realise it was fulltime 4x4 untill I tried to do a paddock hack and nearly rolled it lol. Going into 4x4 locks the back diff I believe, diff lock works well in mine I get quite far on aggressive a.ts and would do much better on m.ts. I have the 3.4 petty aswell and you'd be amazed the fuel economy if you keep it below 90kms really stretches a tank out. I get 500-550 driving normally I get 600-700 driving like a bitch.

It locks the centre diff
    veitnamcam likes this.

Roger that. So in layman's terms? Cause the rear seems to lock up (maybe lsd) and the front just single spinner

If you don't have lockers all you have is single spinners.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have a manual 1996 SWB Prado. It is full time 4x4. It has a central diff lock that distributed power evenly to both axles (this is locked in low range) and also has the factory diff lock on the rear axle only. Works well and that rear diff lock has got me out of some places!
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    I have a manual 1996 SWB Prado. It is full time 4x4. It has a central diff lock that distributed power evenly to both axles (this is locked in low range) and also has the factory diff lock on the rear axle only. Works well and that rear diff lock has got me out of some places!
    Right that's what I thought. Yep rear duff lock is awesome.

GWH

I dont think many have a factory rear diff lock. Most have a factory LSD, which on Toyos are shit, by the time the vehicle has done 50k from new the LSD is worn out and basically an open diff.

Wish my 96 Prado had the rear locker

Mine definately has positive lock up in the rear. Is nz new model if that makes any difference

@Cartman you would know if you had a rear locker

Name:  1587_P1010118_1.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  90.4 KB
    veitnamcam, GWH, Cartman and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post

Attachment 85591
    Duley noted .. lol

Attachment 85591
    One of the best features in my Prado

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I dont think many have a factory rear diff lock. Most have a factory LSD, which on Toyos are shit, by the time the vehicle has done 50k from new the LSD is worn out and basically an open diff.

Wish my 96 Prado had the rear locker

Attachment 85591

Scuffing the inside rear tire on a hard or gravel type surface is a symptom of being in 4wd on a part time 4wd generally they have no center diff.....think hilux.
    Allwheel drive or permanent 4wd involves a center differential of some sort so very generally speaking you can still get stuck with only one wheel spinning front or rear.....untill you lock the center diff giving you "hilux" 4wd where by two wheels must spin in order to be stuck one front and one rear.
    When one speaks of "diff lockers" one should not be really be referring to the center diff....that is the domain of front and rear selectable diff lockers.
    Toyota lsd may be "shit" as an off road lsd but if you understand how they work and drive them accordingly they work pretty well.....if you regularly have wheels off of the ground you should have lockers or at least an Auto locker in the rear.

Where lockers suck ball is in steep country and ice, keep the diffs open and spin... or lock em and slide off the track,soft sand/dunes same same open/lsd diffs win but crossaxle situations its a locker every time.

@GWH I know what you are saying re the wear but static pressure is not how the diff is designed to work, it is designed to lock up threw the clutch packs with torque supplied threw the diff and pressure clamping that clutch pack supplied threw the side gears thrust.
    Ie if you roll up onto a cross axle with momentum and stop with wheels off the ground or very light contact you are going no where unless brake and throttle are applied to load the clutch pack .

My current 2wd hilux has done a lot more burnouts than it probably should have and every single one has been both wheels at 340,000km ...Why? because there is torque flowing threw the diff forcing those side gears into the clutch packs locking up the 340,000km worn diff.

Is the Toyota lsd diff ideal for off road work new or worn NO!. Does it work if one understands how it works and how to drive to make it work yes. (worn or new)
    Cartman, rossi.45 and Mathias like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Not long bought a 97 manual prado 1KZ. Third of the price I sold the Patrol for. Sat in the garage most of the time so could justify having it and too worried I'd dent it up. Was too tidy. Just done a head on it plus few other bits. Will get a bigger dump pipe fitted and snorkel. Possibly aftermarket water temp gauge. Bloody comfortable and goes well. Won't matter if it gets scratched up etc as not worth a lot.

Duley noted .. lol

that was sometime ago, I was wrong at the time, it was fulltime 4x4 hungry as fuck just had selector for hi and lo range
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/