Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: AT Tyre recommendations

I've been pretty impressed with the Mickey Thompson AT 38 so far
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Hi with all due respect do not waste your time with A/Ts get MUD TYRES you can get reasonably priced ones that give pretty good road milage .I have been 4x4 ing for over 25 years and i can emphatically tell you that A/Ts off road and on wet or greasy farm tracks can be dangerous ..not worth the risk...i have seem 4x4's on A/Ts on wet farm track stuck , with my Muds i'm able to drive past them ,stop put a rope on them and pull them out easily..on Q birthday weekend i was up in the snow.. porters pass to lake coleridge area the 4x4's on A/Ts are sliding and snaking while the Muds just track and grip so much more so thats my advise !!

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Hi with all due respect do not waste your time with A/Ts get MUD TYRES you can get reasonably priced ones that give pretty good road milage .I have been 4x4 ing for over 25 years and i can emphatically tell you that A/Ts off road and on wet or greasy farm tracks can be dangerous ..not worth the risk...i have seem 4x4's on A/Ts on wet farm track stuck , with my Muds i'm able to drive past them ,stop put a rope on them and pull them out easily..on Q birthday weekend i was up in the snow.. porters pass to lake coleridge area the 4x4's on A/Ts are sliding and snaking while the Muds just track and grip so much more so thats my advise !!
    With all due respect if you tend to be a bit of a hard driver M/T tyres can really let you down on the road with shit traction and that can be the difference between life and death- I would much rather not being able to get as far off road because of having A/T tyres then have something that is slippery as on the road , its no point running mud tyres if you don't need mud tyres like most of the drivers i see through my shop.
    That is kinda like saying everyone should only own a 7mm Rem Mag no matter what you hunt.
    My 2 cents.
    Last edited by madmaori; 14-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    cambo, Barefoot, 10-Ring and 1 others like this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Am I the only one running Firestone Destination A/T's
    So far I have done around 18,000 on them and they seem to be wearing well much better than the Goodyears supplied on my Triton

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    So far I have done around 18,000 on them and they seem to be wearing well much better than the Goodyears supplied on my Triton
    Possibly , Firestone tyres are generally pretty shit haha

Had a set on an old Nissan pathfinder. They definately wanted me dead....
    madmaori likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Had a set years ago, about the time Ford and Firestone were getting sued for putting them on the Exploders . . . .

Just ordered a set of Toyo AT2's to replace the worn out mudgrips. Did look at the Cooper S/T Maxx but I've got other things to drive if the going gets tough at work now.
    Besides there are chains in the Container which make mudgrips look like slicks.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I don't have anything bad to say about my BFG KO2s, except the price. They have not been on powerful vehicles though (BJ landcruiser, LN hilux) so on-road traction has never been a problem. I have yet to get stuck off-road using an AT tyre and driving sensibly.

e: I also have big fat ladder chains all round in case of actual mud.
    Barefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Had a set years ago, about the time Ford and Firestone were getting sued for putting them on the Exploders . . . .

Just ordered a set of Toyo AT2's to replace the worn out mudgrips. Did look at the Cooper S/T Maxx but I've got other things to drive if the going gets tough at work now.
    Besides there are chains in the Container which make mudgrips look like slicks.
    Im hearing of some amazing k's from those Toyo's

These handle the massive 60kw/80hp that the 40 series delivers.No issues with loss of traction,just might tip over if driving like a sports car.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    These handle the massive 60kw/80hp that the 40 series delivers.No issues with loss of traction,just might tip over if driving like a sports car.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    I was once a passenger in one of those (27 years ago) which turned into a jeep without undoing a single screw or bolt. Left 1/2 my hand on the road though. We were very lucky, MT's and hooning in town = big whoopsie as we flipped it into the side of a house

Yep short wheelbase can get ugly quick.
    Brother and mate when at school left a Lands and Survey short wheelbase Landrover on its side.
    Don,t know if true or not but mates old man reckoned the jeeps killed more American servicemen in crashes than the enemy did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    These are great. Wearing well, grippy in all terrain and strong walls.

Attachment 113025

Recommended from Brad (Mad Maori) on here (Bay Tyres). Great to deal with but a bit distant from you.

I had the Cooper ST and agree with Ryan that they were slippery in the wet. I thought that the latest model of them had fixed that, but it sounds not.
    I'm running these on my hilux. Good on the road and gravel, but I found on muddy farm tracks they fill with mud and turn into slicks. Lower pressure probably would have helped but I didn't have a pump so only lowered pressure a little bit. Also had a flat tyre one day and by the time I stopped the sidewall was stuffed and 2 tyre shops said the the same. Found a lot of reviews that back up the soft sidewall issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I'm running these on my hilux. Good on the road and gravel, but I found on muddy farm tracks they fill with mud and turn into slicks. Lower pressure probably would have helped but I didn't have a pump so only lowered pressure a little bit. Also had a flat tyre one day and by the time I stopped the sidewall was stuffed and 2 tyre shops said the the same. Found a lot of reviews that back up the soft sidewall issue too.
    Im guessing you have the 4ply , go with the 10ply next time.
    RUMPY likes this.

Tyres are after wages and fuel my biggest business expense over here in OZ .
    I had to totally renew my tire knowledge and requirements when I started over here 15 years ago.
    My business involves working remote and although we strike periods of muddy conditions during the wet season mud tyres are an expensive liability in most cases ( All they are good for is weekend warriors who intentionally try to get themselves bogged trying to go places they shouldn’t and for photo opportunity’s showing off on Facebook)
    We do a set of tyres in 12 months ( approx 55,000km ) on my utes if we manage to not destroy them sooner.
    I have learnt that sidewall construction is the most important aspect and the tougher and more ply you can get is always better .
    Nothing boils my piss more than having to throw away a perfectly good tyre because the sidewall has been damaged and the tyre shops refuse to patch or plug them .
    For years we just plugged them ourselves, but worksite compliance and liability if there was an accident due to tyre failure has nailed that on the head .
    For our conditions here I’ve had the best run out of BF Goodridge AT’s , but they are expensive and we have moved to cheap Goodrides because I can buy two for the price of one BF . They dont last as long but the pain is less when you stake a sidewall .
    I never used the BF Goodridges for my years in NZ but I cant see why they wouldn’t work well in NZ conditions.
    mikee, madmaori and 223nut like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA